Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Buy a Mac and get past all this stuff...
No... persuade elderly friends and relatives that buying piles of ancient junk may be cheap but is just asking for trouble.

My own Windows 7 i7 machine has run like a dream for over three years now. The Outlook issue was probably my own fault for using it as an RSS reader for podcasts - and never opening and saving them. I'd accumulated over 3 GB...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #17
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
I am totally happy with my W7 on my stock acer desktop of 3 years ago.....the thing about the acer chromebook, is that I could add linux with no difficulty...:-) I know....old school
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #18
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
chromebooks + tablets + eReaders slaughter Netbooks.

users find out who really need laptops.
Most users do not need.

Overkill!

Last edited by forsooth; 03-21-2013 at 03:17 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
users find out who really need laptops.
Most users do not need.
I can easily satisfy my computing needs with a Chromebook or Chromebox.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #20
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
my wife keeps expensive tastes
clothes and house and cars

strange but she has old series 5 chromebook
says makes computing simple
she is considering pixel
says will make computing beautiful

I need more a power computer for work
analysis and modeling and 3D mapping

but maybe I get her old series 5.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Three weeks into my Chromebook journey, I'm still reaching for it as my primary device throughout the day. It's freed me from my study, which is great, particularly in the morning when the angle of the sun has always caused me problems with screen glare in there.

As noted above, my Windows 7 machine has been very smooth and has handled everything I've thrown at it. I bought the Chromebook to act as a secondary machine, and didn't expect to be spending so much time on it by preference.

The one thing that I was really looking forward to was the silence of the Chromebook. My i7 desktop has constant noticeable fan noise, and I'm lucky to live in a very quiet rural environment.

So, what are the things that I find myself returning to the Windows machine for?
  • Large scale website updates. I've been handling daily changes to the sites I manage on the Chromebook using ShiftEdit, but for yesterday's major additions I chose to use Expression Web and the power of the PC for the job.
  • Ripping CDs, though this is rare now as I'm a long time Napster/Rhapsody user and when I do buy it's more likely to be downloads from Google Play these days.
  • Accounting. The various businesses I handle the accounts for use a Windows program. We are already thinking of moving some of these to cloud services, though.
  • Outlook, for some email accounts, mainly out of habit. I'll shift these soon.
  • TeamViewer sessions into remote computers. That actually works fine on the Chromebook via the web interface, but it's easier with the big screen of my desktop.
  • Directing Napster stream to various audio devices around the house using Jamcast. The Chromebook doesn't have a way to act as DLNA controller, let alone stream its audio channel to DLNA receivers.
  • At some point I'm going to want to continue the heavy PC games that I've started (Dishonoured and Skyrim)... but I've got addicted to Fallen London on the Chromebook for now.
  • MS Access. I have a couple of databases that I use occasionally. To work in the Cloud I'd need to port them to a SQL database on a cloud instance somewhere.
  • Zinio. Though I read mostly on my tablet, I do find that the big monitor is better for my music magazine Uncut.
  • Calibre.
  • Scrivener. Though I've been deliberately trying to use cloud alternatives for the last three weeks, I will want to return to Scrivener when I tackle another novel. Short stories can be handled pretty well in the cloud by Scriptito, or Workflowy for outlining and Google Docs for the draft.
  • Skype. I can exchange text messages and voice with Skype users using IMO on the Chromebook, but my family and friends are big Skype video users. I'm trying to push them across to Google Hangouts but I don't think it's going to happen!

Some of the above relate to the size of the screen and could be handled by a Chromebox of sufficent power.

The other big reason why I still have to turn on the Windows PC (though not actually use it) is printing. Neither of our two printers has CloudPrint so I need Chrome running on the PC to allow printing from the Chromebook.

My wife also has a Windows desktop in her study which she rarely uses, as she tends to work from the office or from her laptop, so I'm seriously considering losing my own PC and running hers as a Windows server from her room. I could then have a Chromebox attached to my big monitor, a peaceful study, and remote desktop into her Windows server as required.

Oh, the times they are a-changing.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-21-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
[QUOTE=Graham
The other big reason why I still have to turn on the Windows PC (though not actually use it) is printing. Neither of our two printers has CloudPrint so I need Chrome running on the PC to allow printing from the Chromebook.

Graham[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, you just load Chrome onto the Windows PC and you can print from your Chromebook on any printer the Windows PC has a connection to either directly or on a network.

I tried it with 2 Window PCs using Chrome. Worked fine.

I am holding back for slightly better hardware and battery life. I like to hold on to a computer and avoid having to trade up in a couple of years because I have outgrown it. Same as for vehicles.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
my wife keeps expensive tastes
clothes and house and cars

strange but she has old series 5 chromebook
says makes computing simple
she is considering pixel
says will make computing beautiful

I need more a power computer for work
analysis and modeling and 3D mapping

but maybe I get her old series 5.
I know the feeling bub.
The ladies get what they want.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
As I understand it, you just load Chrome onto the Windows PC and you can print from your Chromebook on any printer the Windows PC has a connection to either directly or on a network.
Exactly, yes, it works beautifully and was very quick to set up, but it does mean that I can only print from the Chromebook if my Windows machine is running.

Graham
Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Exactly, yes, it works beautifully and was very quick to set up, but it does mean that I can only print from the Chromebook if my Windows machine is running.

Graham
That is the catch 22! You still have to have a Windows machine or an new special printer.
My guess is these printers aren't cheap but I haven't looked into it yet. All I use is old printers that came with computers from many years ago. They don't die.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
That is the catch 22! You still have to have a Windows machine or an new special printer.
My guess is these printers aren't cheap but I haven't looked into it yet. All I use is old printers that came with computers from many years ago. They don't die.
Yes, I am pretty happy with Windows. A machine that maybe costs a little bit more but can do everything rather than jumping through a dozen hoops to do some seemingly simple things. And I have no problems even with 2 or 3 year old machines.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #27
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes, I am pretty happy with Windows. A machine that maybe costs a little bit more but can do everything rather than jumping through a dozen hoops to do some seemingly simple things.
Except that this works both ways. The Windows machine needs to jump through hoops to do some of the things that are the strength of the Chromebooks, if indeed it can do them at all:
  • Running silently
  • Booting from cold in about 6 seconds
  • Waking from sleep instantly
  • Updating the operating system with a 6 second reboot
  • No antivirus or security updates
  • No application updates
  • No slowdown from application clutter

I've documented above where I need my Windows machine instead of the Chromebook, but I think printing's the only thing that I do on the Chromebook that requires a bit of hoop-jumping. One hoop (turn on Windows machine), though, not dozens.

It's also worth noting that when we moved to Windows 7 we had to buy a new printer. Our HP Laserjet of the time was not supported.

A couple of years ago, Chromebooks were an interesting experiment but flawed. They've now reached the point where they are very, very nice secondary machines for people with a Mac or Windows PC, and also ideal sole machines for people who don't need specific niche or high-end software.

It's going to be fascinating to watch the system improve over the next few years, to see how much of the market share it can take.

Graham
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, Windows 8 boots up just as fast. And give this Chromebook a year or two and you will need to be just as careful about viruses, especially in those webapps. You are right, if you are unhappy with your current machine, you might try. But for most their old PC would do a better job without shelling out some additional green.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #29
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And give this Chromebook a year or two and you will need to be just as careful about viruses, especially in those webapps.
It isn't just about market share and becoming a target for virus writers, it's about the nature of the OS itself. Sandboxing, operating system verification on reboot, and the ease of reinstallation all reduce the threat.

Doubtless there will be viruses targetting the platform in due course, but the protection is built in and one of ChromeOS's big selling points should be that there is far less of a potential problem with ChromeOS than with Windows or OSX.

Graham
Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
It isn't just about market share and becoming a target for virus writers, it's about the nature of the OS itself. Sandboxing, operating system verification on reboot, and the ease of reinstallation all reduce the threat.

Doubtless there will be viruses targetting the platform in due course, but the protection is built in and one of ChromeOS's big selling points should be that there is far less of a potential problem with ChromeOS than with Windows or OSX.

Graham
True, but for me it is a little like saying: "by a bicycle rather than a car, the engine will never break down and you don't need gas". If you are worried about viruses Windows RT is a great compromise.