Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Artemix
Artemix began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Where to put the "Collections" ?

Hello everybody;
I apologize for my english but i'm french so be kind, thank you

I don't succeed in synchronising my PRS with the Sony Reader Library software's
(the soft freezes during the sync process); so I transfers my ebook files directly to the directory on the PRS as an Hard disk. I've found the right directory for the ebooks, but where can I put the "collections"?

Thank you
Artemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Collections are just some sort of tags you attach to a book. It's definitely not like folders in a filebrowser like windows explorer. I transfer my files the same way you do. I move them directly with explorer from the PC to the reader. Then I open the Library program on the PC. Click on the "Reader" in the left pane and you should see in the library's main window the content of your reader. Now go to the left bottom corner. There's a "+". Press it and a new label within the reader section in the left pane opens. Name it to your likes. After that, just drag and drop a book from the files shown (in the main window) to your newly created label. Once the reader is disconnected, the files will show up under collections, too. But be carefull. If you drag and drop one single file multiple times to the same collection, the file/book will show up multiple times within the collections.
By the way, you can put books in any folder on the reader. On startup, the reader scans all folders for books. I've arranged all my book-files in seperate folders within the reader to actually reflect the collections.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
If you want to use Collections but the Sony software is not cooperating, try Calibre.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi artemix, i also recommend you try using calibre for managing your ebooks. i like it much better than sony library. also, did you notice our french-language forum ? please feel welcome to join the discussion ! we are really happy to meet more french ebook readers !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Calibre is a very user friendly software and great for managing your ebook collections.

In my opinion the sony software is buggy as heck. I tried it for an entire month and used it every day. Calibre is sooo much better.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
Artemix
Artemix began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Thank you very much to everybody, you've helped me specially Mike_73 with his way to make Collections directly in the reader.

I use Calibre yet (wonderful soft) but I'dont like the way it saves the ebooks on the PC (in separately directory and sub-directories and sub-sub-directories...).
What tag in Calibre determines the Collections? The Series or another ?

Thanks
Artemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
That was one of the reasons I didn't go with any software for transfering files. I rather like my files organised in folders on the PC and on the reader. I use the software only for tagging the files. If I could do this by document properties, I would.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemix View Post
What tag in Calibre determines the Collections? The Series or another ?

Thanks
Just tags. So if you set the tags to be "Science Fiction, That One Guy", then the book will show up in the "Science Fiction" and "That One Guy" collections on the device.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Just tags. So if you set the tags to be "Science Fiction, That One Guy", then the book will show up in the "Science Fiction" and "That One Guy" collections on the device.
actually series also create collections. and if you give the correct book number under the series title, the books will be sorted in the proper order.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote