Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
funkgut
funkgut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700, GEB 1150
Angry 700 Restarting Due to Bad Book Format?

Hello All,

I am very frustrated and would apreciate any help. I got a PRS-700 and started loading a larg collection of books I have using Calibre. The first one hundred book loaded on to my Kingston 16GB card fine. When I started loading another 100 or so I unhooked my reader and it just kept restarting when try to load all the books. I assumed it was a bad SD card and tried loading the books into the main memory. Same thing happened. I now assume it to be a bad formatted book.

The books are mostly epub and pdfs with a few LRFs and RTFs. Is there a format that is prone to cause the reader to keep rebooting? or is this another issue altogether? I would appreciate anyone with 700 experience to possibly shed some light......thanks in advance.
funkgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgut View Post
I am very frustrated and would apreciate any help. I got a PRS-700 and started loading a larg collection of books I have using Calibre. The first one hundred book loaded on to my Kingston 16GB card fine. When I started loading another 100 or so I unhooked my reader and it just kept restarting when try to load all the books. I assumed it was a bad SD card and tried loading the books into the main memory. Same thing happened. I now assume it to be a bad formatted book.

The books are mostly epub and pdfs with a few LRFs and RTFs. Is there a format that is prone to cause the reader to keep rebooting? or is this another issue altogether? I would appreciate anyone with 700 experience to possibly shed some light......thanks in advance.
I created an epub of the Beautiful Soup documentation (which is full of html code) and it caused my 505 to reboot. I just deleted the book. I have 1220 ePub books in my Calibre library and I have never had another book cause this. Find the offending book, delete it and move on.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I had something similar happen when my 505 was low on power. dwanthny is probably right and you've got a toxic book, but a poke of the reset button and a good charge fixed my problem.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
This may not be a bad book.

I've seen my PRS-300 fairly consistently reboot when switching book format (for instance, when opening an LRF after reading a string of epubs, or vice versa). I picture the device somehow needed to free up something in memory to change readers.

I've avoided this by keeping most of my reading as epubs!
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #5
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgut View Post
Hello All,

Once (or twice) time wired rss downloaded with calibre recipe in epub caused mine to reboot. Maybe some other book too...

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert