Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
jsites
Enthusiast
jsites doesn't litterjsites doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-350 Silver
Reading .cbr files on my new PRS-350

So my wife got me a Sony PRS-350 for christmas. I know this because I work at the Borders store she bought it at. She knew I wanted a reader for christmas, and since I work at a store that sells a variety of readers, she wanted me to pick out the one I wanted. After playing with the Kobos, Sonys, Libre, and Cruz devices, I was sold on the Sony Pocket. I love the screen, touch, size, weight, and pretty much everything about it.

So I've started building an ebook library, but I've run into a snag. I have a lot of comics, manga, and graphic novels in .cbr files. I know that I can change the file's extensions to .rar and open them in a RAR program, and this would provide me with .jpg files for each page of the comic. I could then throw all of them into Adobe InDesign and export .pdf files, but this seems like a very long process. So what I was wondering is if there's some sort of .cbr to .pdf program that could automate the process.

I've seen several programs through some google searches, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations through personal experience. One thing to keep in mind is that I am running on a Mac, and I don't have Windows boot or a Windows emulation set up, so it would have to be something usable on OSX.

Thanks in advance.
jsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
jsites
Enthusiast

UPDATE: So I probably should have done a Google search first. I found a site recommending Jomic for this. It is located here:

http://jomic.sourceforge.net

And it works like a charm.
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
You could also run the files through Calibre and make an epub or lrf file out of your cbr. (that's what I do).

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Calibre is a great program, take a look at it, it's free.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
jsites
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
You could also run the files through Calibre and make an epub or lrf file out of your cbr. (that's what I do).

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Calibre is a great program, take a look at it, it's free.
any chance calibre would compress the files a bit? the Jomics program actually makes the PDF a bit larger in file size than the original .cbr file. (example: Issue #1 of Star Wars Legacy was 15.2mb as .cbr and 15.6mb as pdf)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsites View Post
any chance calibre would compress the files a bit? the Jomics program actually makes the PDF a bit larger in file size than the original .cbr file. (example: Issue #1 of Star Wars Legacy was 15.2mb as .cbr and 15.6mb as pdf)
To be honest, I can't recall offhand. Let me try a file out and get back to you with the answer.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert