Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
Thanks Kenny for the file. I am downloading the Android SDK kit. Hope the adb will work. I plugged it in my laptop and 1 drive appeared but not mounted. So it may work I hope.
I will let you know so in case somebody replicates this error trying to install the market. I do not have a mini SD that is less than 4 gb. so adb is the only option now.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

She took over my Adam and is playing the Story Chimes Hansel and Grettel now. She prefers the small edge but she hate that the market does not work on it. And I hate it as I have to manually install the apps. Amazon market still does not work for us in UK.
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
Thanks Kenny for the file. I am downloading the Android SDK kit. Hope the adb will work. I plugged it in my laptop and 1 drive appeared but not mounted. So it may work I hope.
I will let you know so in case somebody replicates this error trying to install the market. I do not have a mini SD that is less than 4 gb. so adb is the only option now.
You may still want to try the 4GB SD card, it has been known to work for some...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
vicinc
Guru

I manage to get the adb running even droid explorer to access the internal card and the system. but can not replace the build.prop as is saying that is read only and can not change the rights from the adb shell
Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
You couldn't change the rights from the shell? That's weird. Did you try this?

http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2...ead-write.html

A 4GB sdcard should be plenty of space! Just put the update.zip into the root folder and try to flash with it instead of the USB drive.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #21
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
You couldn't change the rights from the shell? That's weird. Did you try this?

http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2...ead-write.html

A 4GB sdcard should be plenty of space! Just put the update.zip into the root folder and try to flash with it instead of the USB drive.
Maybe it's typo, but after issuing su it should change prompt from $ to #.
To be able to issue su one has to root the device: one way is to install z4root. You can install it using adb, but I'm not sure yet how to run it.

@vicinc:
z4root just runs proper script. I don't have it yet, try to find the actual script to type it manually.

Last edited by ptsenter; 06-15-2011 at 10:29 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
vicinc
Guru

su gets me segmentation fault
device is rooted. adb works. droid explorer connects to it. I even copied the dingo gold update.zip to the internal sdcard hoping will update through this. I damaged the build.prop and I am failing to replace now. the build.prop appears as a link not file?
cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs r w 0 0

Last edited by vicinc; 06-15-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
vicinc
Guru

c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
[1] + Stopped (signal) su
$ cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 ro,relatime,errors=continue 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
ubi:system /system ubifs ro,relatime 0 0
ubi:userdata /data ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
ubi:cache /cache ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
ubi:storage /intstorage ubifs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,relatime,size=16384k 0 0
varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/loop0 /intsdcard vfat rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_ utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
[1] Segmentation fault su
$ mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /rootfs /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /rootfs /system
do_mount: do_mount: dev /rootfs dir /system type none flags 0x8020 loop 0
do_mount: calling mount: dev /rootfs dir /system s none rwflag 0x8020
mount: Operation not permitted
Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
vicinc
Guru

got a 2 gb micro sd from my phone, formatted to both fat32 or fat but the edge recovery does not work. it is like this is disabled somehow by build.prop editing???
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #25
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
I believe your problem is much deeper than build.prop:
it seems your device has been rooted as it starts running su, but su fails - you never got #. It looks like underlying Linux got corrupted, way before it got to build.prop.
Unfortunately, I can't help farther. Sorry.

Last edited by ptsenter; 06-19-2011 at 06:18 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #26
vicinc
Guru

so is a write off? beware guys if you are playing with the root and the market
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #27
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
If you bork your system, the only option you have with the eDGe is to restore to factory settings. They didn't enable a "recovery mode" for you to work with, and the update.zip file is actually a unique creation (for some reason, they didn't choose to simply emulate the procedure of other Android builds). As such, there is nothing else to say. If you can't flash to Dingo, you don't have any other options.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #28
vicinc
Guru

can we not install some idiot proof recovery mode, too late for mine. it looks like the rooting has problems as i can not make system folder read and write. if there will be a way to make it I can replace the build.prop which is empty and a symbolic file. the update.zip does not work. tried it at least 60 times from different cards even copy it to internal memory. just thinking if i can reroot the device from console or script from androidcommander?
I am not knowledgeable at all on android, but must be a solution some tool they had to restore borked devices.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
The only way to add a different restore method at this point would be to create our own whole firmware, not something that I(or many others here I think) am particularly good at.

I agree with ptsenter in that this is not a problem with your build.prop, and more likely a problem with you whole OS, as the build.prop has little to nothing to do with the recovery mode etc. to my knowledge.

I know that for some people with WSOD's they had to replace the whole motherboard to fix the issue... I'm not sure if there is another way to recover, sorry.

If you want you can mess around with the shell script inside the update.zip and try to find a way to get it to copy the files you want, but other than that I don't know what else to tell ya.

And just to confirm you have tried pressing/holding down on the reset button on top of the device right?
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #30
vicinc
Guru

Right. The main issue was with build.prop. the file was a symbolic link. Deleted and replaced.
Justin Case from Android Police help me an I do have a fully bootable machine.
this is the procedure. You must have ADB enabled.
QUOTE:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/tbolt/psneuter

adb push psneuter /data/local/
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/psneuter
adb shell /data/local/psneuter
adb shell

Should leave you wit ha # prompt, so you can replace build.prop
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I am not an android developer. This is sure a software issue. I am really pissed of with the bad job Entourage did by not enabling recovery. I am flashing every week my Adam and no problem.
Now my Ermine boots but certain apps crashes. The Titanium backup works now.
The e-ink apps do not. Facebook is crashes with force close and still the menu/rotate recovery does not work.
anybody can take a full copy of a virgin PE edge with Titanium Backup and post the link to this please?
it will really help me to restore the machine. Strange the factory reset does not seem to work, apps are still on. it look like a kind of permission problem?