Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #31
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
What's the currency got to do with anything?
It is more complicated to do the accounting. And also I had to consult how to fill this case to VAT form, etc. Generally it could have cost me more than the purchase was.

Also if it was way around and the company was my customer. It makes a big difference if it is Czech customer or foreign. If I give service to a single foreign customer, I must register as VAT payer. And that makes my service 20% more expensive since then +-forever for most of my customers Because I have to add VAT.

But, we are way offtopic.......

EDIT:
End if you were layer and know the law. Tell me, do you think the mentined regulation is fair and ballanced and does not collide with others more general and higher "order" laws?

Why should I as a customer be forced by a law to pay for other customers' needs. I am quite sure that if correctly put and explained the directive would have to be changed as not being just and not giving ballanced rights to all customers.

I would understand if this is voluntarily used in sales like shoes, textile, etc. No-one is able to know in advance if the goods fits his/her body and so the percentage of returns is +-even for all customers. In that case free return postage and so on does not impose any problem.

But with items like electronics, books, CD, ...? The buyer should "pay" for his/her wrong buying decision. Mainly if the goods is expensive, one should shop "wisely".

Last edited by Mono; 12-06-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #32
dkef
Enthusiast
dkef began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Quote from Wiki:
"A Standard (Cobalt) Li-ion cell that is full most of the time at 25 °C (77 °F) irreversibly loses approximately 20% capacity per year. Poor ventilation may increase temperatures, further shortening battery life. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively. In contrast, the calendar life of LiFePO4 cells is not affected by being kept at a high state of charge."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

So, it battery is full and is stored at room temperature, it has no capacity in 5 years, even if not used. To keep it in good health possibly requires it to store it half-charged and in refrigerator.

But, there is not only one type of Li-ion battery, but about 5+. The citation holds for standard one....

M92 is not comparable to cell-phone. Modern cell phone has to be charged every 1-5 days (depending if smart or not). M92 say every 2 weeks... Depends if WiFi is used... So it may be 25 charging cycles per year comparing to 360 cycles/yr for smarphone.
So the upshot is: in order to avoid battery capacity degradation charge it once every say six months and store it in the fridge. Works for me and I'd prefer it from not been able to find a spare battery, specially if the battery is only 10 €.
dkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #33
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeread View Post
If the WIFI is on few hours daily, I don't think the battery would last for 3 days. Don't you think so? have you tried it?
I tried WiFi on my almost one year old M92. I charged if full, went to browser and started WiFi. After 12 hours the battery indicator was at half. When I came after 25 hours the battery was already empty. So, I do not know, when exactly it went off.

I guess one might count on 20+ hours of WiFi, maybe more on brand new device. But I do not know, if WiFi does not go to sleep after a while f not used. And also I turned pages only cca 10 times.

And times may also be dependent on quality/strenght of signal. Mine M92 was placed just nearby WiFi AP.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #34
pluto0
pluto0 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying M92 from ereader-store.de but I'd like to ask whether there is not planned release of some kind of M92s successor in near future, lets say within 3-5 months, because if so, maybe I should wait for such device. Thanks
pluto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
Mono
Mono

Well, Booxtor said no. And the guy from Artatech replied that Booxtor is not telling the truth. Choose, whom do you belive more. Or just wait a few months and you'll see.
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
It might depend on what you want to use the device for. M92 already is the best tool availabe for academic reading (and, to a lesser extent, writing). It will get Android OS in the future, which might considerably increase the uses of the device. Unless you have some very special functionalities in mind, it's safe to buy the M92 now.
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #37
Mono
Mono

I agree, I like M92. So far, it is the best 10" e-ink reader. It is well usable now. The weakest point is not hardware but firmware. Firmware is gradualy improved, so I do not see any problem in buying now. (With current design cycles of electronic devices, sooner or later there will be a new model for sure...)

Maybe more RAM would be helpfull in some cases. And higher processor speed never makes device worse.

Back to original question. As far as I know, no succesor of M92 was officially annonced. There were only rumours on one Russian forum. Booxtor denied those rumours and Artatech man confirmed them.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
pluto0
pluto0 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot for answers. As you said, Mono, I expect that new device's hardware would be improved and maybe I'm a little bit worried that support would shift to new device as well.
pluto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
I think you can be pretty sure M92 will be supported for quite a while. With no successor on the horizon and the continous improvements in firmware, there is no reason to wait for another device.

That is, unless you want to wait for several month/years (keep in mind that even Booxstor has not heard about a follow-up of the M92. If one day, that successor is being developed, it will still take several month for actual production and then shipping).
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote