Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle for iPhone???

Am I the first one to notice this?

Kindle for iPhone on the iPhone Apps Store???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.PNG
Views:	260
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	24971  
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
Already using it! Great app!
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
I have installed it and loaded the book I'm currently reading on it. It synced to the last page I read automatically. I still prefer reading on the Kindle itself. I think it will be very convenient to read a few pages when I don't have my Kindle with me.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Just downloaded it, got a sample chapter - glad to see the app. However, there is absolutely no control - You must swipe horizontally to change pages, you can't adjust margins or background colors. Also, there is no iPhone optimized Kindle store. All that said, I think this is pretty cool - those of you with Kindles and iPhones are going to love the sync feature, I'm pretty sure.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Do you really want margin control on a 320 x 480 pixels screen?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Only by a few minutes (in News and Commentary)
Robotech_Master added a link for the Wall Street Journal article and his TeleRead article.
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Do you really want margin control on a 320 x 480 pixels screen?
Yes, I do - though not having it isn't the end of the world. My main gripe is having to swipe to change pages - I'd like the option to tap instead.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntone View Post
Already using it! Great app!
No dictionary support and no text-to-speech.

I guess they had to save some features for the Kindle. :-)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy81 View Post
I have installed it and loaded the book I'm currently reading on it. It synced to the last page I read automatically. I still prefer reading on the Kindle itself. I think it will be very convenient to read a few pages when I don't have my Kindle with me.
I've plowed a few bucks into Kindle format reference books of various ilks and I've already transfered some of them to the iPhone. Erica Sadun's iPhone programming book for example is kinda handy to have on the iPhone.

But I miss the 5 way navigator, clipping, annotation and search features. Digging around inside the reference tomes is a bit awkward right now.

They've clearly tried to target it as a "casual reader" compared to the Kindle's more in-depth support for research etc...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
JBradHicks
JBradHicks began at the beginning.

When you download the books to your iPhone, does Amazon pick up the data charges, or does it come out of your cell phone data plan?
JBradHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradHicks View Post
When you download the books to your iPhone, does Amazon pick up the data charges, or does it come out of your cell phone data plan?
I would bet it comes off your plan... There's no way for Amazon to just isolate the bits from your downloaded books from the rest of the downloads going to your device...

Besides aren't all iPhone plans unlimited data plans in the US? Or are you looking to download content to your phone outside the US for free?
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
stevenmoy
Zealot

Quote:
Counts toward your data plan. Amazon is not going to pick up the data charges if your device is not a Kindle. It would make no business sense.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I downloaded the book I'm currently reading to my iPod Touch via wi-fi. Still need to sync it. Do iPhone users have the wi-fi option, so that you don't have to use your data plan?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

I'm not sure about the wi-fi. But using their own data plan shouldn't really matter, because radiationman is right - iPhone plans include unlimited data transfer.

I'd be surprised if the wi-fi option was available on iPod Touch and not iPhone though.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
roa71@yahoo.com
roa71@yahoo.com began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
iPhone Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
All that said, I think this is pretty cool - those of you with Kindles and iPhones are going to love the sync feature, I'm pretty sure.
will the sync work with Kindle 1 as well?

rick..
roa71@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote