Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #241
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertoLP View Post
I understand its MONEY if the assume my broken unit, but I just felt I lost MONEY for doing nothing wrong. Moreover, I have a shinny new cybook on a case aparently perfect. You could even use it as a mirror, because is so clean. But if you turn it on, it does not work. I have a shiny frisbee that cost me almost 400€

My fault or their's? If they claim it was my fault I do not feel happy at all, coz it wasn't. The device is extremely delicate to pressure... thats bad enough for this kind of device, but I wasnt even told...
Alberto,

With the very greatest respect to you, there is no device on the market which is likely to have survived what you did to it.

You've told us that you put the Gen3 on the back of a couch, and then leaned back on it. Even though it wasn't with your full weight there must, nonetheless, have been several kg exerted on the device, and without anything rigid behind it it would have flexed and the glass substrate snapped like a dry twig. Any eInk device would break in those circumstances.

There won't be any visible signs of damage because it's the internal glass substrate that breaks. The outer plastic screen will flex if you apply pressure to it - the glass underneath it unfortunately will not.

I can understand that you're upset about it but, with all respect, I think that you have to blame yourself for this breakage, given the circumstance that you've described to us.

Bookeen will replace the screen for €120. If you don't want to have it repaired yourself, why not sell it so that someone else can have it repaired?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #242
patatan
Enthusiast
patatan is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 3, DR1000S
One more for the record. My Cybook broke in August, while traveling. It was in my case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	280920081813.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	16604  
patatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you classify that as "mysterious", patatan, or might it simply have received a knock on your travels?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #244
patatan
Enthusiast
patatan is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 3, DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you classify that as "mysterious", patatan, or might it simply have received a knock on your travels?
Not at all. But eventhough I handled my case with care I would have been more careful if I had known that some component of the screen was glass. I thought it was made of plastic. Next time I will be more careful and will use a metal case.
patatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #245
Razza
Razza began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
My Cybook Gen3 device's screen broke yesterday evening in exactly the same way as others have reported here. I rarely take the device from my bedside table and have only dropped it once serveral months ago. I am very disappointed, as I absolutely love this device and probably cannot afford to have the screen replaced.

Last edited by Razza; 10-02-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: *added pictures
Razza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #246
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Won't your house contents insurance cover it?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #247
xharekx33
xharekx33 doesn't litterxharekx33 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - Cybook (RIP - Misterious Broken Screen)
Another broken screen...

this is ridiculous. I was reading. Got in a cab to go back home, closed the case's lid and put it by my side with nothing on it. And when i got home and wanted to keep reading... dead screen.

I cant express how pissed i am right now. I was recommending it to everyone I knew, now I'll tell them to buy another device if they can. If i dont get it replaced without being charged for what's clearly a problem with the device I'm gonna be extremely angry
xharekx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #248
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

All eInk devices have fragile screens - eg see the messages here about broken screens on the Sony. Might you have inadvertently sat on it while it was alongside you in the cab?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #249
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xharekx33 View Post
Another broken screen...

this is ridiculous. I was reading. Got in a cab to go back home, closed the case's lid and put it by my side with nothing on it. And when i got home and wanted to keep reading... dead screen.

I cant express how pissed i am right now. I was recommending it to everyone I knew, now I'll tell them to buy another device if they can. If i dont get it replaced without being charged for what's clearly a problem with the device I'm gonna be extremely angry
Dead screen ??????? You mean just blank without a crack ??? Are you sure it’s not just an empty battery?
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #250
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's a very good point, Erwin - a completely blank screen certainly doesn't sound like a broken screen, unlike it's some kind of drastic failure of the screen controller. An empty battery would be a much more reasonable explanation.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #251
xharekx33

No, it is cracked. Not blank, not just a perfectly even 1/4 of the screen unusable...no, the limit between the working and not working part is diagonal and jagged. Clearly cracked, with no reason for it.

I can turn it on and off and read in the top half of the screen but the lower part is unusable. No faulty battery, no controller failure.

And Harry, seriously, i didnt sit on it "inadvertently". I notice when I sit on things larger than a peanut, and I'm an adult, I dont jump around car seats either.

I know you like the cybook, i loved it until the screen died too. But you constantly defending the company and treating us as retards who apparently cant help banging / dropping / sitting on / hammering their ebooks without "noticing", is at the very least, irritating.

We're not stupid, nor we want to trick the company into paying for our mistakes. We just expect a minimum resistance from the devices we buy (I say minimum, because a cab ride is hardly a full contact sport) that allows for normal use. Specially in a device designed to be carried around everywhere. In a protective case. If that condition is not met, it is perfectly reasonable to expect the company to compensate the aggravated customers.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #252
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I know you like the cybook, i loved it until the screen died too. But you constantly defending the company and treating us as retards who apparently cant help banging / dropping / sitting on / hammering their ebooks without "noticing", is at the very least, irritating.
I trust Tribble's data that fewer than 1% of the Gen3's that he sells have had problems more than uncorroborated accusations of "design flaws". The overwhelming majority of screen breakages undoubtedly are due to the machine being banged, twisted, having something heavy placed on the screen, etc. That doesn't make the people who do it "retards" - it's very easy to do something like that and not notice it, and the problem does NOT always show up instantly.

Do you really believe that everyone who breaks their screen is mentally retarded?

It is NOT only Gen3 owners who break their screens - I posted a link in my earlier post to a precisely similar thread for the Sony Reader, and if you go to the iLiad and Kindle forums you'll find no shortage of similar reports. Screens break - that doesn't mean either that the design is faulty or that the user is mentally deficient, as you seem to be suggesting.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #253
xharekx33

As i said. we just expect a minimum resistance from the devices we buy that allows for normal use.

normal used described as "i take it with me on the way to work, to read during the 1 hour commute. It sits in a drawer with nothing on it until it's time to go back home. And i go back home. There it lays on the bedside table. I read a bit before going to bed and put it back."

no banging, no crushing, no stomping on it.

We bought a portable reader, not a delicate crystal flower meant to be put on a stand with a velvet rope around it to be admired at a safe distance. It should be able to withstand that kind of everyday use.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #254
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
And Harry, seriously, i didnt sit on it "inadvertently". I notice when I sit on things larger than a peanut, and I'm an adult, I dont jump around car seats either.
But, did you hit it with a shoe?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #255
xharekx33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, did you hit it with a shoe?

BOb
actually, it was a sledgehammer, but inadvertently, as Harry suggests

I also run it over with a car and jumped on it repeatedly. But i didnt notice.

All of us with broken screen are like that. We cant be trusted with delicate stuff designed to be carried around with silk gloves inside of a hardened titanium case

Tags
broken, cybook, screen