Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Considering a pw2.

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a Kindle PW2 but I have questions. I am currently a Kobo user and have no real Kindle experience and want to know if the Kindle can be customized without jailbreaking/hacking. I like to use different fonts..can you use your own fonts on the Kindle? I also have shelves set up in calibre for my books. Can I create shelves or organize my books by type in the kindle.(example: SciFi, History, Romance, FanFiction etc.) Please ignore my ignorance..I just like to tweak my reader.

Sincerely,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, you can't use your own fonts on the PW. You can, I believe, select from a few that are pre-installed, though.

You can set up collections and name them whatever you want, and put your books into them.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Keep in mind this info applies to the PW1, since no one has the PW2 yet it's possible things could change (since it's firmware is a bit different).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Can I create shelves or organize my books by type in the kindle.(example: SciFi, History, Romance, FanFiction etc.) Please ignore my ignorance..I just like to tweak my reader.
You can have "collections" which are basically the same as "shelves" on the Kobo. However you can't use Calibre to manage them without jailbreaks/hacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
No, you can't use your own fonts on the PW. You can, I believe, select from a few that are pre-installed, though.
Well I suppose technically it could be considered a hack, but you can use your own fonts on the PW.

http://www.slideshare.net/AdaWyy/how...dle-paperwhite
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The amount of "tweaking" that can be done to a stock Kindle is close to zero. That'd be too much individual freedom, I guess

You can use collections to tag your books, which should do fine for your purposes.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well I suppose technically it could be considered a hack, but you can use your own fonts on the PW.

http://www.slideshare.net/AdaWyy/how...dle-paperwhite
Yes, indeed. And it's very easy really, mystika.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Yes, indeed. And it's very easy really, mystika.
If that little mod doesn't work on the KPW2, I am going to be very disappointed. It'll be the first thing I try when it gets here.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Kobo Mini and 2 Paperwhites. This might not be the most useful comparison but it's what I have. I find the Kobo to be far more customizable but I still do most of my reading on the Paperwhite. I keep short stories on the Kobo and use it for that.

I did install extra fonts on my PW and I did find one I preferred to it's built-in fonts. I don't recall which it was now. This was on one of the Paperwhites, to try it out. I went back and forth between the two Paperwhites for a while and soon decided that, while I did prefer the new font the difference was so small it was hard to really care. I've since removed it because I prefer my devices to be stock.

I've been reading about the new Kobo Aura and wondering if that might be something I'd like even better. I really like the idea of the flush bezel. I may eventually get one to try it out. I haven't decided yet. What holds me back are two things: the Amazon ecosystem is just so good that no-one can compete with it. And that the Paperwhite is so very good that even if I like the Kobo better, who cares!

I realize I'm jaded. The Paperwhite is perfect and I find myself lusting for perfecter. Should I give in to that?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Just curious, why do you want to abandon Kobo?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
If that little mod doesn't work on the KPW2, I am going to be very disappointed. It'll be the first thing I try when it gets here.
Same here, booklover. I'll be very disappointed as well.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have a Kobo Mini and 2 Paperwhites. This might not be the most useful comparison but it's what I have. I find the Kobo to be far more customizable but I still do most of my reading on the Paperwhite. I keep short stories on the Kobo and use it for that.

I did install extra fonts on my PW and I did find one I preferred to it's built-in fonts. I don't recall which it was now. This was on one of the Paperwhites, to try it out. I went back and forth between the two Paperwhites for a while and soon decided that, while I did prefer the new font the difference was so small it was hard to really care. I've since removed it because I prefer my devices to be stock.

I've been reading about the new Kobo Aura and wondering if that might be something I'd like even better. I really like the idea of the flush bezel. I may eventually get one to try it out. I haven't decided yet. What holds me back are two things: the Amazon ecosystem is just so good that no-one can compete with it. And that the Paperwhite is so very good that even if I like the Kobo better, who cares!

I realize I'm jaded. The Paperwhite is perfect and I find myself lusting for perfecter. Should I give in to that?

Barry
Have you read about some people having a hash pattern issue on the new Kobo when reading in the sun? Something to be aware of. Also some people have had light leaks. You can read about it on the New Kobo Aura Impressions Thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222156

The exact post is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=129
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Just curious, why do you want to abandon Kobo?
I do like the Kobo but it does get buggy. Two nights ago I sideloaded some instapaper articles and when I went to open them up...my Glo rebooted and reset to factory settings. I had to reload everything. Then yesterday I decided to sync it just to see if the pocket integration update might have been released but... the unit froze mid sync and I had to reset it again. Yuck!

Before this..I never really had much problems with my Glo besides the occasional page turn issues(where it would turn multiple pages at a time.) I am basicly just curious to see if a Kindle would run more smoothly. I like the idea of the kindle address and being able to send things wirelessly. I also like that instapaper articles can be sent directly to the unit.(I understand that Kobo will have similar with pocket integration but it would be nice to have no bugs)

Really...I am just curious.

Penny
Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
mystika1
Addict

Does the paperwhite use the caecilia fonts?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Does the paperwhite use the caecilia fonts?
Yes. It has Caecilia, and Caecilia Condensed.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
mystika1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes. It has Caecilia, and Caecilia Condensed.
Thank you! That is my favorite font. I may not need to add more fonts.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I do like the Kobo but it does get buggy. Two nights ago I sideloaded some instapaper articles and when I went to open them up...my Glo rebooted and reset to factory settings. I had to reload everything. Then yesterday I decided to sync it just to see if the pocket integration update might have been released but... the unit froze mid sync and I had to reset it again. Yuck!

Before this..I never really had much problems with my Glo besides the occasional page turn issues(where it would turn multiple pages at a time.) I am basicly just curious to see if a Kindle would run more smoothly. I like the idea of the kindle address and being able to send things wirelessly. I also like that instapaper articles can be sent directly to the unit.(I understand that Kobo will have similar with pocket integration but it would be nice to have no bugs)

Really...I am just curious.

Penny
Penny, I'd be very interested in your impressions if you end up getting one. I am lusting after the Kobo Aura hardware, but constantly hearing about bugs keeps me safely in amazon's embrace.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote