Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Since you're experienced, does the screen have the ability to rotate 180 degrees so that it can be held in the right hand? I like to be able to hold my reader (or book) with either or both hands.
i agree, this is a really important feature for good ergonomy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I don't think this device really looks that good. So it's flexible. Big deal. it's also very expensive and has no dedicated content. it's going to fail. it's probably mainly a technology show case.
Wow... so many nay sayers... I call it the Dvorak effect. That guy basically states that any new idea or startup is going to fail. Then, when it does he says "I told you so" as loud as possible. He's bound to be right every now and then.

Remember, that video is at least a year old showing a prototype. Also, first gen of most new devices are a bit more expensive... see iPhone... remember is launched at $600 at it sold 1 million units or something before they dropped the price to $400... then it sold millions more, not the new version is better, more features and it will be $200.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Despite my isolated bitterness above (not really ) I love this device like a gibbon loves icecream (ie. a real lot), and, even though there are things about it I am unsure of, or "not quite there" (It is a cell/mobile phone, isn't it? A stylus/handwriting recognition/touchscreen would be nifty) this is on the way to the a convergence I can like (mobile phone, pared-down Iliad-like ebook reader device, ability to purchase content from phone, basic "PDA" features (basically, I want my phone to also be my always-with-me library, with a minor ability for notetaking, address book and simple scheduling). For me the size is the perfect compromise. I'd buy this Readius as a "bridging device" in a nanosecond, because I'd be happy with it, and to encourage them to keep heading the same direction.

Also, I absolutely and completely and utterly love the look of this device. In a world where everything has to look iShiny, I'm all for something that stops running with the pack.

Cheers,
Marc (with one man's opinion, approaching nought-worth in the greater scheme)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #19
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
It's gonna be so annoying to call with that thing I reckon....and I've heard it feels flimsy. Either way, I'd love to get my mittens on that thing
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Well,
I can tell you my gottahavegadet meter pegged when I saw this, This coming from the guy that has imported things from Japan, and Korea just to have them before the Rest of the world, I wonder if I could swing a business trip to England to Coincide with the Release

JJ
Roll a saving throw against "shiny!"
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #21
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
If this is supposed to be a mobile phone, I don't see how it works. Do you have to open the screen to answer a call? And can you hold it to your ear comfortably? The more I look at what is shown here, the more I am convinced it is not a mobile phone.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #22
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
16 grey scales? Did you guys see that? That's twice as much as the Sony Reader (8), and four times as much as the Kindle (4)!
The Readius is using the Delta controller, which is also used in the iLiad, hence the 16 grey scales.

We are practically neighbors with Polymer Vision, and I saw the device a few months ago, looks pretty neat. For those interested, check out my post about it.

http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2008/03/12...-technologies/
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
If this is supposed to be a mobile phone, I don't see how it works. Do you have to open the screen to answer a call? And can you hold it to your ear comfortably? The more I look at what is shown here, the more I am convinced it is not a mobile phone.
You need to use a headset to call.
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #24
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Roll a saving throw against "shiny!"
pshrynk, what does that mean ???
Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #25
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
pshrynk, what does that mean ???
Dungeons and Dragons. Savings throws were dice rolls that you made to see if your character could resist various things, such as magic. A saving throw against shiny would mean that you could resist buying something new, just becasue it'snew and "shiny." I have very bad "shiny" resistance.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #26
zelda_pinwheel

hee ! i need to roll a saving throw against shiny as well.

thanks for explaining (again. my, you're especially cryptic today !)
Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I got it. But then, I grew up tossing those polyhedral dice.

nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

this is one of those rare places where i actually feel like *less* of a geek than everyone else.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #29
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hee ! i need to roll a saving throw against shiny as well.

thanks for explaining (again. my, you're especially cryptic today !)
When I GM a GURPS Space game, I actually make my players take a "resistance to shiny" advantage if they don't want to end up using all their credits on the latest junque.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
When I GM a GURPS Space game, I actually make my players take a "resistance to shiny" advantage if they don't want to end up using all their credits on the latest junque.

Tags
karl mcgoldrick, polymer vision, readius