Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Checking a book out???

Could someone enlighten me how this works. Do I physically have to go to the Library or can I down load it online?

Thanks.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
MR members are putting together a Troubleshooting Guide that has a section on library books. You could check this section out from the MR Wiki.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Troubleshooting_Guide#Borrowing_librar y_books
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you have a library card to your local library, you would simply download the books to your computer, then sideload to your Sony. Hopefully, your library will have a nice selection of epub or pdf books online.

The software is free and can be downloadeded from the library. The books "close" automatically at the end of the loan period......no more late book charges!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
tnronin
Zealot

Ok, so I gotta get a library card, download that overdrive software and go from there. Coolness.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes check with the library to make sure they have digital downloads available and you'll need a library card and then the Adobe Digital Editions (which you should already have for the 300). When you download epub files (via overdrive) from the library they will be downloaded/encoded for your reader and for the time-period allowed. Once they "expire" you will no longer be able to open them.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
The books close at the end of the loan period? I like that! I hope my library does it that way.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. The book is "authorized" by the (adobe) drm for the loan period and one it expires it can't be opened on the computer/reader.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
tnronin
Zealot

I went to get the card. Unfortunately there is not much of a selection. Bummer.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
I went to get the card. Unfortunately there is not much of a selection. Bummer.
Are you allowed to do inter-library loans?
Quite often a smaller library is affiliated with a larger metropolitan system.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
tnronin
Zealot

I dunno, I'll have to check, that is a good idea.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Check to see if your library or a neighboring one is part of READS.

https://secure2.libraryreserve.com/r...yAccount%2ehtm

Quite a few small TN libraries combined for Overdrive and have a really nice selection. I used to live there and found they have more books than some larger cities. Usually, small libraries will give you an account if you are TN resident.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
neadams99
neadams99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, 3, KFire, Samsung Epic 4G
Tnronin:
I live near Sacramento, CA and my local library has Link+ service for borrowing regular (paper) books from a vast selection of other libraries but not digitally. So, my workaround is to get a library card from the NewYork Public Library http://www.nypl.org(I read that on another forum here) and for $100/year I get more access to tons of ebooks. Their collection has over 30,000 digital items for checkout! Good luck!
neadams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by neadams99 View Post
Tnron

I live near Sacramento, CA and my local library has Link+ service for borrowing regular (paper) books from a vast selection of other libraries but not digitally. So, my workaround is to get a library card from the NewYork Public Library http://www.nypl.org(I read that on another forum here) and for $100/year I get more access to tons of ebooks. Their collection has over 30,000 digital items for checkout! Good luck!

From our wiki.........

* New York -- Available to residents of the state of New York. Nonresidents can no longer apply for a fee-based card (policy changed as of June 2009 per NYPL). Over 10,634 ebooks in PDF format and over 4641 in Mobipocket format.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
tnronin
Zealot

I've got a niece in Washington D.C. I wonder if she would get a card for me?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnronin View Post
I've got a niece in Washington D.C. I wonder if she would get a card for me?
Hmm, hadn't thought of that angle.....kinda like using a proxy from Europe to buy books in 'merika!