Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #31
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
I much more fond of Eastern European writing, (Russian for example) then anglophone origin. I find it much more suitable to my mentality. (No wonder, since I'm of the same origin xD)
I've heard really good things about Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series. It's on my TBR list.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #32
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Fair enough. Like I said, I just prefer that a story's scale/scope and a story's length/size be considered separate aspects (and to tell the truth, I prefer that they not strive to be in direct proportion to each other).
I definitely meant the scale of it, by "too epic". It seemed to be all about Demi-gods and demons and unspeakable ancient powers and the things the unspeakable ancient powers used to frighten their kids with. It all got a bit wearing. There wasn't anything at a human scale to anchor it all to.

I have noticed that I am far less tolerant of books I don't like, now. Once I would have carried on with the series and maybe come to like it, but now I just write it off and move on.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I have noticed that I am far less tolerant of books I don't like, now. Once I would have carried on with the series and maybe come to like it, but now I just write it off and move on.
I'm the same way. I just can't seem to grant anyone "whole books worth" of leeway or "setup" when it comes to a series anymore (where I would have years ago).

When someone says; "It doesn't start to get good until book two," I hear; "No need to pick up book one then."
(not referring to any series in particular, here)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-09-2012 at 04:09 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #34
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
It's old age I guess - passing or approaching the mid way point and realising that one's remaining time is limited. That, or turning into a grumpy old fart. Or in my case both.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #35
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Have you tried any of the "Labyrinth of Echo" books by Max Frei (Svetlana Martynchik)?
No, but as far as I know there are only 2 books out of 10 translated to English, with 3rd coming up. I cant read in Russian, sorry if I gave a wrong impression. I am East European, but not that much east

I did however come by the Alexey Pehov's trilogy The Chronicles of Siala.
Here's a link on goodreads

I want to check on those. Anybody here read them by any chance?
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
No, but as far as I know there are only 2 books out of 10 translated to English, with 3rd coming up. I cant read in Russian, sorry if I gave a wrong impression. I am East European, but not that much east
No, I meant the English translations (since they're the only ones I could read ). Yes there's only two available right now (third due in July), but they're fairly stand-alone stories, so there's no need to wait for all ten to be published if you're worried about starting an unfinished series or something like that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #37
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I meant the English translations (since they're the only ones I could read ). Yes there's only two available right now (third due in July), but they're fairly stand-alone stories, so there's no need to wait for all ten to be published if you're worried about starting an unfinished series or something like that.
That's good too know, I don't like starting things I cant finish in reasonable time.
Thanks, I will check them out
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #38
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
HarryT you want to try Sapkowskis witcher, really
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #39
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Alucarda,

have you tried out Sergeij Lukyanenko? His Night Watch series (available in English) is awesome.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Sorry was away all weekend Just went through all the replies. Alucarda, I saw you say something about wanting a shorter read. I mentioned it before but I really think you would enjoy, "Lingering in the Woods" Lemme know if ya check it out, would love to discuss it
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #41
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Alucarda,

have you tried out Sergeij Lukyanenko? His Night Watch series (available in English) is awesome.

Best regards,
Andy
Yeah, I read those. Its as good as they say.

I will check Lingering in the Woods, looks interesting.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
Yeah, I read those. Its as good as they say.

I will check Lingering in the Woods, looks interesting.
Yea, let me know. Would love to talk about it, very few people around to talk about them with lol
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote