Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
paul__dl
paul__dl began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3g
A+ certification ebooks -- recommendations?

I'm looking to get the A+ certification (to demonstrate basic computer hardware knowledge) sometime this year, and curious if anyone has ideas for quality ebooks on the subject.

Checking the prices on different sites, it's looking as if I'm better off getting a physical book -- such as the "for dummies" take -- that come with a CD including practice tests and a digital version of the book. My issue is, the digital version on these CDs is apparently typically a PDF, and I was hoping for .epub or something that would readily transfer to the ipod.

Here's a book I did try, and wholly recommend against:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ES5RTE/ref=docs-os-doi_0
CompTIA A+ 2010 Complete Home Study (Kindle Edition)

It's poorly written, poorly edited, and poorly organized. It has numerous topic headings where the author never bothered to discuss the topic -- you get only the heading and nothing else -- unless there's a formatting issue, which is sufficiently annoying. More and more, I'm really liking the epub format, especially considering how well the Stanza+Calibre solution basically clobbers the Kindle for iPhone/Windows on functionality. The book is only $10 u.s., and still not worth it. I don't think all of the content has been updated to reflect the newest version of the test either.

Any suggestions for sites/ebooks, even several sources to be combined, to get quality practice and knowledge? My skill level is above beginner, but I've always managed with only enough knowledge to get things done, and the test covers a bit more than that.
paul__dl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a+ certification