Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #61
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
But as for small silver hammers, I already have a few of this kind. Have never used them against my privacies though, and I don't plan to
No doubt! Kisses for you (on the hem of your gown, mind you) and nice and rich offerings. Beautiful Avatar. That is Freja.

Ah the Hammer of Thor! The greatest invention ever!

Quote:
You're welcome. It's no bother, it's one of my interests, I'm only too happy to share
It is already pdffed and ready to be loaded. I also like myths, and symbols and little people.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #62
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
I did a quick listing below of books I find I always return to over the years, hence qualifying them for me as 'must-haves' in my library - paper and e-formats.
Excellent list.

As someone mentioned before, would be very intersted to see a non-Westerner's list (myself being born and raised in Russia, but having lived in Australia for well over half of my life, I guess i can consider myself a westerner... although about half of my library is still in russian).

I have read quite a lot of Japanese literature - translated of course - and think their ghost stories are incredible! It is so.. how can i put it.. delicately written, no blood and gore, but chilling to the bone.. and romantic at the same time
And of course japanese poerty.. what can i say! Simpply beautiful. Best read in original i presume... but not many would have this luxury!

Last edited by SmartyPants; 04-20-2010 at 07:54 PM.
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #63
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think that the OP means is not 'what books are must have vs must read' but 'if one were to compile a reading list for a survey course of essential books from your country, what would they be?' Maybe that is a more helpful question for discussion.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #64
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein

Some people love it and others hate it, but I am compelled to call my mother and tell her how much I love her every time I read it.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #65
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
How about Voltaire's Candide, ou l'Optimisme?

Last edited by weateallthepies; 04-23-2010 at 03:25 PM.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #66
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
I don't know if it has been mentioned but:

Anything from Jules Verne, and H.G. Wells.

The Odyssey

And now my new theory, anything from James Rollins
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #67
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein

Some people love it and others hate it, but I am compelled to call my mother and tell her how much I love her every time I read it.
I know the following story is

My husband took some time off work to drop by my son's Kindergarten class and be a "mystery reader" (basically, a parent shows up each day and reads the kids a book). He didn't know what to bring and in random desperation grabbed "The Giving Tree" off of our bookshelf. He'd never read it before. He was able to save face in front of the 5-6 year olds by claiming that he had a fit of allergies
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Shakespeare is obvious. Not because I've read any plays - I prefer to see them - but it's nice to be able to look up quotations.
Shakespearean plays are much more enjoyable to watch than read. Let the actors do all the hard work! I recently read The Bard's The Tempest; only to end up renting a video afterward to understand and follow what I had just read!

One of my favorites films, by the way, is Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in the title roles. The setting is modern, but the dialogue is pure Shakespeare. I love watching actors brandish guns as they speak of their "swords."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #69
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

This is an interesting thread. I can't believe I am the first to add The Trial and Metamorphosis by Kafka, Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne, Native Son by Wright.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #70
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Most of what I would say have already been mentioned: Jane Austen, Homer, Shakespeare, Dumas, etc

I would like to add:
Jane Eyre (loved it, will read it many times more. Besides, who hasn't heard of it??)
Wuthering Heights (have yet to read, but I feel my reader would be incomplete without it)
Gone With the Wind (felt somewhat like a chore to read the first time, but worth it)
Les Mis (ditto)
The Good Earth (have yet to read...been meaning to for about 5 years now ha ha)
Isaac Asimov (not my typical genre, but a must have)
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #71
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
The Bible, King James (facsimile, if you please)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
The Harvard Classics five foot shelf
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote