Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
afsandiego
Enthusiast
afsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600 and iPhone 3GS
today I decided to return my PRS-600

today I finally decided to return the reader to sony due to the issue of the glare on the screen... I thought to myself before, yah it wasnt something I will be bothered or I keep trying to tell to myself that there isnt any, but you know what, its in there.. I have used it in the plane, in my room at night or just in plain daylight and I just could not handle it..
Using it for more than a week is enough for me.. I think, the sample unit in the stores does not do enough justice on the glare of the screen, you have to spend time with it.. dont get me wrong, I think the PRS-600 is one of the best reader out there its just that the screen really does have that glare on it that you just cant ignore..

i wish you guys who has it the best, im probably going back with my Stanza iphone app for now...

ohh, I did get a PS3 out of the returned reader..lol

thanks everyone!
afsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
you will still kill your eyes with the PS3

Have fun though !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsandiego View Post
today I finally decided to return the reader to sony due to the issue of the glare on the screen... I thought to myself before, yah it wasnt something I will be bothered or I keep trying to tell to myself that there isnt any, but you know what, its in there.. I have used it in the plane, in my room at night or just in plain daylight and I just could not handle it..
Using it for more than a week is enough for me.. I think, the sample unit in the stores does not do enough justice on the glare of the screen, you have to spend time with it.. dont get me wrong, I think the PRS-600 is one of the best reader out there its just that the screen really does have that glare on it that you just cant ignore..

i wish you guys who has it the best, im probably going back with my Stanza iphone app for now...

ohh, I did get a PS3 out of the returned reader..lol

thanks everyone!
The glare you describe did annoy me on Sony 700 as well.
But it's not a "symptom" of eInk. It's because of the touchscreen.
Do you need touchscreen or would Sony 300 or 505 be an alternative?
Their display is WAY better, no glare at all. Readable even in broad daylight.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
afsandiego
Enthusiast
afsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600 and iPhone 3GS
im actually thinking of the 300 or 505 but Im also looking at the Astak EZ readers.. or just really wait until the Daily edition comes out again..
afsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
The daily edition will be a touchscreen as well so if you don't like the 600 you would probably not like the daily edition. I understand. I was going to return the 600 because of glare but when was about to put it in the box for the return I just couldn't. I like the device a lot. Love the touchscreen and swiping my finger to turn pages. I guess I wanted it to have the same screen as the 505. But I have decided to keep it and the glare problem is becoming less annoying to me. In most lighting conditions for me there is just a little glare and I realize there are some times when the lighting will be poor and I will have more glare. In those circumstances I will use my reading light which helps. So in the end I decided I can forsake a bit of screen clearity for all the other features. And actually in average room lighting conditions it still seems I have more clarity than I had with the Kindle 2 because that had light ink being used.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsandiego View Post
im actually thinking of the 300 or 505 but Im also looking at the Astak EZ readers.. or just really wait until the Daily edition comes out again..
if your goal is just to read books (not pdf's) than my opinion is that the 300 is a very good deal ($199 new). The size is vary convenient to just throw in your pocket and the screen is really crisp.

I dont think you will find much better for less
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
afsandiego

You have made a wise decision to return it otherwise it will be with you and you keep reading forums and justify yourself that there is no reflection but in the end its there.

Sony 505 has the best screen among all ebook readers and astak ezreader is second. Now sony sometimes sells under 200 so I will grab one for sure.

I am 100% sure that sony will screw up daily edition screen too as that will be touchscreen as well so I will not put too much weight into it.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
afsandiego

Sony 505 has the best screen among all ebook readers and astak ezreader is second. Now sony sometimes sells under 200 so I will grab one for sure.
The screen on the new 300 is just as good as the 505, IMO. I have owned both. The 300 screen is 5-inches diagonally and the 505 is 6-inches diagonally, otherwise they have the same 600 x 800 pixel resolution and the same crisp, easy-to-read type of screen.

I also own the new 600 because I thought I really needed the ability to highlight text and make bookmarks. However, I find that with having both the 300 and the 600 (I sold my 505) that my 600 mainly sits on my desk while the conveniently sized 300 is what I use almost exclusively. The 600 is a good reader, even though the screen is a bit difficult to read at times, but I think I will be sending it back. Otherwise it will become an expensive paperweight!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
The more I read of the problems associated with the "touch screens" the happier I am with my 505. The 300 doesn't allow memory cards, while the 600 and the 700 have touch screens. From what I see, progress on these is a step backwards!
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I will be sending the 600 back. I have debated it back and forth but the glare really annoys me. I don't need to annotate . The 300 suits me just fine since I just need a simple reader. I recommend people decide for themselves by seeing the devices in person if possible.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
I totally agree with Red Alert.
E-ink devices should have a paper like display. This is the main goal, right? Why is so hard for Sony to understand this? There is no use to have a touch screen if they end up a very bad screen product. Why is Sony trying to use on E-ink a touchscreen technology that comes from the different world of LCDs? I'm starting to understand Amazon...

I was wondering, why is not Sony using the same touchscreen technology as Irex? Is it because of the energy it is using?
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #12
bhs
bhs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Here is my subjective opinion.

I have my 600 for the past few days. It is not that bad. The advantages it offers me outweigh the reflection issue.

If you own a 505, you might strongly dislike the reflection on 600. This problem, I believe, is multiplied by one's experience with 505. I rarely notice the reflection on 600 but, too bad, am constantly reminded by 505 owners that there is such a problem. When I read on my 600, I have no problem. After reading those complaints, I start seeing the reflection when a question pops up in my head "Is there a reflection?" (I guess it would be better for me to stay away from complaints about 600 screen for the better).

If you have/had 505 or have doubts about 600 screen, 505 is likely to be a better choice for you.

More importantly, I use my 600 for non-recreational purpose. No kidding: It is more EFFICIENT for me to use 600, rather than 505 (I had 505 for a week and returned it back).

I love my 600 and am happy with it. My one cent .
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs View Post

I have my 600 for the past few days. It is not that bad. The advantages it offers me outweigh the reflection issue.

If you own a 505, you might strongly dislike the reflection on 600. This problem, I believe, is multiplied by one's experience with 505. I rarely notice the reflection on 600 but, too bad, am constantly reminded by 505 owners that there is such a problem. When I read on my 600, I have no problem. After reading those complaints, I start seeing the reflection when a question pops up in my head "Is there a reflection?" (I guess it would be better for me to stay away from complaints about 600 screen for the better).

If you have/had 505 or have doubts about 600 screen, 505 is likely to be a better choice for you.

More importantly, I use my 600 for non-recreational purpose. No kidding: It is more EFFICIENT for me to use 600, rather than 505 (I had 505 for a week and returned it back).

If Sony was releasing the 600 before 505 ever existed we had nothing to compare it with but now we have and we know what is the best screen at this moment. I would love to have a 600 with the same features but I can't with that screen and the screen is the most important for me when it comes to ebook devices.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have a 500 and there is a reflection on it too. There is a reflection on the 505 as well. We get over it and learn to adjust the unit so we do not see the reflection. When I have used them in the stores, I did not find the 300/505/600/700 distraction any more of a problem that the reflection on the 500. I just had become accustomed to the reflection on the 500.

For me, the 600/700 did not have as sharp a screen as the 300/500/505 and the 300/505 screens were sharper than the 500 screen.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs View Post

bhs, you are correct about the non-recreational purpose. I need one for college classes so I can annotate my papers which I download on to it. I got the 700 for this purpose, but the key board is just too awkward. I really needed hand writing recognition. I also desired a dictionary, which the 700 does not have. The 600 offers this, which is precisely what I have missed since giving up my beloved ebw 1150, which could not support pdf's to my satisfaction.
Richard
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote