Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #31
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Paperbacks From Hell: Anyone notice that The Auctioneer (which is part of the series) isn't available as a Paperbacks From Hell edition as an ebook? I wonder why that is? The publisher is the same for ebooks and paperback (Valencourt books). It's listed as a Paperback From Hell on their website. Barnes and Noble has the PBH paperback listed for sale. It even has a Grady Hendrix into. They just need to update the cover (which already exists). Weird.

I just bought the book and slapped the PBH cover on it in Calibre.
The old PB covers are so much better aren't they? I mean look at those, side by side.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #32
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
If you like the Paperbacks From Hell series, you might also want to check into Macabre Ink's Resurrected Horrors series. Another series republishing old OOP horror novels. Guys like Charles L. Grant, Whitley Strieber, David J. Schow, Elizabeth Massie, Yvonne Navarro, Skipp and Spector. Now, they don't preserve the original covers. But on the other hand, each book is only $2.99.
Wow, nice! Didn't know about this one.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2022, 10:36 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
The old PB covers are so much better aren't they? I mean look at those, side by side.
Yeah, I miss the days of the painted covers.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-13-2022 at 11:02 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:01 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Wow, nice! Didn't know about this one.
I have about half of them and have gone out and found the old paperback covers for them* If you want any of the covers, let me know.

*Except for the first book. Undertaker's Moon has a MUCH better cover than the old Zebra Moon of the Werewolf cover.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:56 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's an interesting article/review [SPOILERS] on her:

https://mises.org/library/auctioneer-joan-samson

I bought this a while back, but haven't read it. I remember the cover. I was doing some research, after reading your post, and saw how the back cover is a nice addition to the front cover.

Book-of-the-Month Club [?]
Soon to be a Major Motion Picture [?]

CAREFUL WITH SPOILERS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Cover.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	721.5 KB
ID:	191586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joan Samson.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	191587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Cover.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	680.9 KB
ID:	191588  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2022 at 06:11 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

I bought this a while back, but haven't read it. I remember the cover. I was doing some research, after reading your post, and saw how the back cover is a nice addition to the front cover.

CAREFUL WITH SPOILERS
I think I'll skip the article and read the book next. Like you, I bought it a while ago.

Thanks for the image of the back cover. I love off the wall design like that.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I'll skip the article and read the book next. Like you, I bought it a while ago.

Thanks for the image of the back cover. I love off the wall design like that.

Here's the first paragraph of the article. NO spoilers:

"Joan Samson was a Depression baby, born in 1937. She died of cancer in 1976, when she was still in her 30s. In 1975, the year before her death, she published her only novel, The Auctioneer. This seems to be just about the sum total of what is publicly known regarding Joan Samson — and that, I'm here to tell you, is a damn shame, because that one novel of hers, The Auctioneer, is a real humdinger. And it would be nice to be able to tell you a bit more about its author before I go on to build the rest of my article around the novel itself."
Old 01-14-2022, 04:29 PM   #38
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

CAREFUL WITH SPOILERS
I read it last year.

It is a good book but grim with that despair quality through out and a slower pace. Definitely unique. The not-a-good-feel is not the normal not-a-good-feel of horror books - more of that despair life can be pointless kind of thing. Unless I'm just overly sensitive lol
Old 01-14-2022, 05:11 PM   #39
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
I have about half of them and have gone out and found the old paperback covers for them* If you want any of the covers, let me know.

*Except for the first book. Undertaker's Moon has a MUCH better cover than the old Zebra Moon of the Werewolf cover.
Thank you! I have to rebuild my calibre library / hard drive when I get a chance, which has already been months. Ugh. Hard drive failure and I am still trying to recover instead of fully rebuild. I will let you know when I finally quit procrastinating, though.

I did get Undertaker's Moon in ebook form with the newer cover that I really dig.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:47 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Thank you! I have to rebuild my calibre library / hard drive when I get a chance, which has already been months. Ugh. Hard drive failure and I am still trying to recover instead of fully rebuild. I will let you know when I finally quit procrastinating, though.
I feel for you. I keep mine on an external hard drive (a Western Digital My Passport) and keep a back up external drive (a Western Digital My Book).

I'm going to buy a thumb drive to use as a third backup.

Quote:
I did get Undertaker's Moon in ebook form with the newer cover that I really dig.
Yeah. Undertakers Moon was the book that brought the Resurrected Horrors line to my attention. For a modern reissue, it has a very good cover.

I think I'll try and read Undertaker's Moon after The Auctioneer.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #41
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I read it in December. A different type of werewolf story and I liked it. I love Ronald Kelly usually though.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:35 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I read it in December. A different type of werewolf story and I liked it. I love Ronald Kelly usually though.
I'm glad to hear it, I've picked up a couple of other Ronald Kelly books: Fear and Twelve Gauge (aka Father's Little Helper)
Old 01-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #43
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
I'm glad to hear it, I've picked up a couple of other Ronald Kelly books: Fear and Twelve Gauge (aka Father's Little Helper)
Fear is nostalgic and great- have owned in paperback twice. I read first as a teenager

I haven't read the second yet.

The Halloween Store and Other Tales of All Hallows' Eve he wrote in 2020 as a short anthology and I highly recommend it. He aludes to FEAR in a few of the stories as tie-in's kind of.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:22 AM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ronald Kelly is a very good horror writer. He's also Southerner (like me) and lives in the same state I was born in.

He left horror when the bottom fell out in the (late?) '80s, but returned a number of years ago with a vengeance.

Although I have not read Twelve Gauge, at one time I owned the Zebra edition with the original title of Father's little Helper. I'm going to buy the edition you mention, since it' only 99 cents. THANK YOU!

Check this out. Such memories:

https://picclick.com/Zebra-Horror-Pa...733226324.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Father's Little Helper.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	191745  
Old 01-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are only allowed to read Dell books on a Dell laptop in a Kosher Dell.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote