Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #31
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thought of another one: Gene Lancour, his series "Dirshan The God-Killer"
http://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/lancour_gene

Sadly, not available on kindle. I was lucky enough to pick up the first four hardcover books in the series at a library book sale years ago. Fun reads.

Edit: This article gives a great overview of S&S:
http://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/sword_and_sorcery

Last edited by conan50; 07-09-2021 at 08:40 PM.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Thought of another one: Gene Lancour, his series "Dirshan The God-Killer"
http://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/lancour_gene

Sadly, not available on kindle. I was lucky enough to pick up the first four hardcover books in the series at a library book sale years ago. Fun reads.

Edit: This article gives a great overview of S&S:
http://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/sword_and_sorcery

I had forgotten all about these - completely! I remember seeing the first one in the series, back in 1973, in some bookstore. But I've never read any of them.

THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention!

I just checked Archive.org and I've rented two of them (they're missing two?). I look forward to reading these, but I may have to do it on my ancient Ipad 2.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-09-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #33
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Alan Burt Akers. His main character was Dray Prescot. The first one came out in 1972, titled Transit to Scorpio, and published by DAW Books. They're very 'Burroughs-esque'. You may wish to visit this site:

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/alan-burt-akers/

Alan Burt Akers was the well-known British writer of SF, Kenneth Bulmer.
I think I had 18 or 20 of the Scorpio/Anteres series; sold them 6 or 8 years ago around the same time as my set of John Norman "Gor" books,

Edit> I wasn't familiar with Brak but I see I have 2 2-book sets in my Amazon account that apparently were freebies back in Dec, 2016, plus 2 other Jakes titles. Was that the big Open Road giveaway? Can't believe it's been almost 5 years now...

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 07-09-2021 at 09:31 PM.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #34
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Seems like the S&S is more of an overbearing huge character weilding a very big sword.

So my question is whether David Duncan's "King's Blades" series qualifiy as S&S since the main characters are not portrayed as being big like Conan & wield fencing type swords. Thought I had them, now think that I had read them from the library or used paperbacks.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #35
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I'm guessing most of the books by David Gemmell would fit - they're mostly described as heroic fantasy but I seem to remember some magic (but it's been a long time since I read them). I do remember enjoying his Drenai series (starts with Legend).
I really loved his Troy series, but it's not sword & sorcery.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2021, 05:01 AM   #36
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine Trilogy (Gate of Ivrel, Well of Shiuan, Fires of Azeroth, Exile's Gate) is available as a set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SI02BAG
Actually it's Science Fantasy. Great stuff, but not what I'd call Sword & Sorcery.

I'll recommend Henry Kuttner's Elak of Atlantis stories.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:37 AM   #37
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I'm looking for books old or new that are available as ebooks.

Sword and Sorcery would: have book covers by Frank Frazetta or Boris Vallejo or '70's van art.

But what if a newer author is writing sword & sorcery and doesn't have access to these artists?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #38
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I had forgotten all about these - completely! I remember seeing the first one in the series, back in 1973, in some bookstore. But I've never read any of them.

THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention!

I just checked Archive.org and I've rented two of them (they're missing two?). I look forward to reading these, but I may have to do it on my ancient Ipad 2.
Cool Glad you found them online. Would be interested in your thoughts about the books after you read them.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Zodwallop:

You may wish to see my response to your posting in the other thread, prior to creating this current thread.

Please feel free to lift out whatever you need to make relevant additional titles you may want/need to make your case.
Just checked it. You got some good ones in there.

Lin Carter's Thongor of Lemuria - Hey, good call! They're available as ebooks.
Steve Dilks' stories of Gunthar - Hey, I'm snagging that. The cover is a hoot!
Gardner F. Fox 's Kothar stories - Gardner Fox's Kothar and Kyrik books are available. But I haven't read good things about Gardner Fox's writing. Wildside has Kothar available in two Megapacks, a buck each. I'll give them a go.
Joel Jenkin's Dire novels
T.C. Rypal
David C. Smith's novels
David C. Smith & Richard L. Tierney / Robert E. Howard - Red Sonja - Sadly OOP. I have a friend that likes to scan old novelizations and media tie-ins. I believe he is looking for the Red Sonja books right now.
Andrew J. Offutt
Davd Mason's Kavin novels - OOP
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
But what if a newer author is writing sword & sorcery and doesn't have access to these artists?
Van art never dies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6fd4c50b089116dcc3d54a6e7a6bc547.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	188133

Hire that guy to do your book cover and you're golden.

Last edited by issybird; 07-11-2021 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Oversize image. This is far from the first time. Resized, but please stop.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I'd like to bring to readers of this thread the important essay, The Demarcation of Sword and Sorcery, by Joseph A. McCullough V. Here's the link:

https://www.blackgate.com/the-demarc...d-and-sorcery/

McCullough argues three cogent points that define the Sword & Sorcery genre:

1) Heroes are men [or women] of action.
2) Outsiders (barbarians) who are outside the norms of society.
3) They're scoundrels. (Think Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.)

John O'Neill, in his Introduction to The Best of Heroic Fantasy Quarterly: Volume 1, 2009-2011, adds a 4th category, that of Setting.
I think setting is one of the main appeals of sword and sorcery to me.

So much fantasy apes Tolkien in style, settings, characters, etc.

Sword and sorcery is very different, probably because it came first (Kull appeared in 1929 and Conan 1932).
The settings aren't typical medieval European kingdoms.
The stories don't typically rely on tropes like dwarfs and elves.
Wizards and magic in general tend to be mysterious and dangerous.
The structure of the stories tend to be less epic and 'traditional fantasy'.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #42
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Van art never dies.

... don't bother knockin'!

Last edited by issybird; 07-11-2021 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Oversize image in quote deleted.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Van art never dies.

Just be careful if it starts rocking back and forth, and up and down.

(That reminds me of my hippie days.)

Last edited by issybird; 07-11-2021 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Oversize image in quote deleted.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:22 PM   #44
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I think setting is one of the main appeals of sword and sorcery to me.

So much fantasy apes Tolkien in style, settings, characters, etc.

Sword and sorcery is very different, probably because it came first (Kull appeared in 1929 and Conan 1932).
The settings aren't typical medieval European kingdoms.
The stories don't typically rely on tropes like dwarfs and elves.
Wizards and magic in general tend to be mysterious and dangerous.
The structure of the stories tend to be less epic and 'traditional fantasy'.
I tried to read Fafrd and the Grey Mouser but couldn't get interested in it; I think that's the only sword and sorcery book I've read (and didn't finish). So given my limited exposure, which is also from seeing lots of Frazetta book covers, my impression is that with sword and sorcery the sword guy is the good guy and the sorcery/sorcerer is the bad "guy". I was also thinking that in fiction sorcerers are generally bad guys but wizards can go either way.

I could imagine that I might be more likely to enjoy a book if the sword guy had a wizard, magician, healer, etc. as a side kick. (Like a dnd game.)

Last edited by hobnail; 07-10-2021 at 07:39 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #45
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Van art never dies. [...]
It does. What's left are all zombies - which is the wrong genre.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote