Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #16
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The opening of Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Quote:
First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys. Not that all months aren't rare. But there be bad and good, as the pirates say. Take September, a bad month: school begins. Consider August, a good month: school hasn't begun yet. July, well, July's really fine: there's no chance in the world for school. June, no doubting it, June's best of all, for the school doors spring wide and September's a billion years away.
But you take October, now. School's been on a month and you're riding easier in the reins, jogging along. You got time to think of the garbage you'll dump on old man Prickett's porch, or the hairy-ape costume you'll wear to the YMCA the last night of the month. And if it's around October twentieth and everything smoky-smelling and the sky orange and ash grey at twilight, it seems Hallowe'en will never come in a fall of broomsticks and a soft flap of bedsheets around corners.
But one strange wild dark long year, Hallowe'en came early.
The title is from Macbeth's witches: "By the pricking of my thumbs/ Something wicked this way comes." (Agatha Christie used the first part of that line for a title.)

Bradbury also wrote The Halloween Tree.

Last edited by BenG; 10-23-2017 at 05:37 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Halloween, edited by Paula Guran
Quote:
Shivers and spirits . . . the mystical and macabre . . . our darkest fears and sweetest fantasies . . . the fun and frivolity of tricks, treats, festivities, and masquerades. Halloween is a holiday filled with both delight and dread, beloved by youngsters and adults alike. Celebrate the most magical season of the year with this sensational treasury of seasonal tales — spooky, suspenseful, terrifying, or teasing — harvested from a multitude of master storytellers.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #18
onewiththeanswer
onewiththeanswer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But aside from the fact these are classics of creepiness, do House of Leaves, Jekyll and Hyde or The Woman in Black have anything to do with Halloween/Harvest/Autumn?

I could give you a list of horror fiction as long as my arm. But for purposes of this thread, I'm looking for stories that tie-in with this particular time of year.
I guess you are right. I wrote down those because I thought they might be appropriate and creepy. For me, Autumn is the season in which I enjoy reading only horror books just because the weather and the whole atmosphere gives me that kind of vibes. That`s where my previous post comes from. Nevermind, I apologize if you found them useless.
onewiththeanswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The opening of Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes.

The title is from Macbeth's witches: "By the pricking of my thumbs/ Something wicked this way comes." (Agatha Christie used the first part of that line for a title.)

Bradbury also wrote The Halloween Tree.
As a kid I saw the movie version of Something Wicked This Way Comes numerous times. I remember starting the book a long time ago, but just couldn't get into it. I guess I should give it another crack.

I forgot, I have a copy of The Halloween Tree illustrated by Gris Grimly that I picked up on sale last year.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewiththeanswer View Post
I guess you are right. I wrote down those because I thought they might be appropriate and creepy. For me, Autumn is the season in which I enjoy reading only horror books just because the weather and the whole atmosphere gives me that kind of vibes. That`s where my previous post comes from. Nevermind, I apologize if you found them useless.
No worries dude. I enjoy horror stories throughout the year. I especially like to read them in the fall and winter and have a soft spot for horror stories set during both of those times of year.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
OK, back to the thread's topic of Halloween horror:

You may wish to check out the Halloween Carnival Series of ebooks, featuring short stories and novellas. They're from Cemetery Dance Publications. Highly recommended.

Here's the link:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/hallowe...al-series.html
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ I just now realized that I mentioned one of the books edited by Brian James Freeman in an earlier post on this thread. I didn't realize, until researching this further, that there were actually FIVE of these anthologies out.

That first one is great, so I'll be picking up the other four shortly.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #23
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The Stand - Stephen King (you'll be sure you're getting sick within 100 pages)

The Hallowe'en Party - Agatha Christie (you will never bob for apples again)
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #24
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
For any comics fans, Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb's Batman: The Long Halloween is a yearly re-read for me during the week of Halloween.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote