Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Clumsygal
Edge User

Fring doesnt working on my edge

Hi... Anyone

I have it installed but whenever i log in, it tells me "Fring cant work without an internet connection" .. what the... of course Im surfing the net.. can it see???

Thanks..

Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

I tried opening Fring (I haven't opened it since they stopped supporting Skype accounts - I switched to Nimbuzz) and didn't get that message. It took a loooooooong time of "testing the connection" but then I did get a login screen. For some reason, it didn't accept my pre-stored user/password, but that's not related to your error.

I have used Fring successfully in the past, but I mainly used it to keep track of Skype and MSN contacts in the same place. It sometimes took a long time for contact lists to show up, but I never did get the specific error message you got.

So my only suggestion would be to try Nimbuzz to see whether you get a similar error message. Maybe a more technical person can explain, but I've found that ability to view the web is handled differently than ability to run other apps in some situations. I've been at a couple of hotels before and decided it wasn't worth it to pay for wireless internet access, but if I was connected to the network, my twitter and/or Skype client would kick in and work just fine. (Like, only certain "ports" are hidden behind the web start page that wants you to pay for access, but some non-browser apps that want access to the internet get it just fine?)

Are you on your home wireless connection, or a work one that might have some strange blocked settings, or a public connection?

Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Clumsygal
Edge User

Thanks, Sarah.. I did even try my Internet cord with the usb connector to the edge and it still gives me the massage.. come on it is a local network so there shouldnt be any restriction whatsoever.. what you think? Tech support?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
sarah11918
Edge User

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Fring? Have you looked at the Fring support forums to see what other people say about this error message? (Maybe it's a common/known issue and someone will have reported what worked for them). I would also say check your settings, but it sounds like you haven't even gotten the app to start up yet.

I would probably try those two things first, since other apps can hit the web but Fring can't, I'm tempted to blame Fring (or at least your version/installantion) first. Lots of us on here have used Fring and no one here has mentioned that problem before. If reinstalling and searching the Fring forums don't get you anywhere, then try Entourage tech support. But I'd do at least those two things first, if it were me.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Clumsygal
Edge User

Thanks.. will reinstall it...

Advert