Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you purchased an indie book?
Yes 116 70.30%
No, but open to purchasing in the future 34 20.61%
No, and not open to purchasing in the future 15 9.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #91
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
One reason for readers' reticence to try indie eBooks can be the potential for lack of oversight, which can result in Mamie Shrubslaughter Syndrome, or MSS. I'm sure you're familiar with the phenomenon:

Deathless Prose by Mamie Shrubslaughter
Based on a Damned Clever Idea by Mamie Shrubslaughter
Insightful Editing and Tireless Proofing by Mamie Shrubslaughter
Whimsical Book Design by Mamie Shrubslaughter
Cover photo of Mamie Shrubslaughter's cat, Endomorph, by Mamie Shrubslaughter's son, Endomorph
Published by Mamie Shrubslaughter Press on Mamie Shrubslaughter's Birthday as a Present to Herself and the World
I would totally read and buy some of those.

Especially "Based on a Damned Clever Idea".

Or were those not meant to be titles but signs that the process was closed? I see nothing wrong with that. The sentiment that having more people involved in the process necessarily improves things is, alas, not held up by my own anecdata:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=21

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-22-2011 at 01:10 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #92
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I would totally read and buy some of those.

Especially "Based on a Damned Clever Idea".

Or were those not meant to be titles but signs that the process was closed? I see nothing wrong with that. The sentiment that having more people involved in the process necessarily improves things is, alas, not held up by my own anecdata:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=21
Reminds me of a prolific and often-published friend who wrote a horror novel about a Zoroastrian cult only to have the publisher bedizen the cover with a painting of a slavering dog's head superimposed over a pentagram and the back with the following phrase in unnervingly large letters:

FLESH FOR SATAN

For weeks afterward, my friend could be heard wandering around people's kitchens muttering, "'Satan cult . . . they think it's a Satan cult. . . . It's the idea that knowledge, not faith, allows people to survive death. . . . No pentagrams in the book, not even one. . . . No sacrifices, no 'flesh' appetizers . . . I'm gonna get angry letters now . . . 'you said there'd be satanic blood rituals in here' . . . ."
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #93
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Haha, that an AWESOME story.

Piggy-backing off that, I spent a full semester carrying around Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses" around a Christian college before I realized why I was getting odd looks.

I carried it around for a year after finishing it just because of that.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote