Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-21-2022, 11:43 AM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Ronald Kelly is a very good horror writer. He's also Southerner (like me) and lives in the same state I was born in.

He left horror when the bottom fell out in the (late?) '80s, but returned a number of years ago with a vengeance.

Although I have not read Twelve Gauge, at one time I owned the Zebra edition with the original title of Father's little Helper. I'm going to buy the edition you mention, since it' only 99 cents. THANK YOU!

Check this out. Such memories:

https://picclick.com/Zebra-Horror-Pa...733226324.html
That's the cover I used on my copy of Twelve Gauge/Father's little Helper.

I fell down a Ronald Kelly hole recently and found a number of his old books are available in renamed editions. Same for another horror boom writer, William Schoell.

Ronald Kelly:
Father's Little Helper/Twelve Gauge
Something Out There/The Dark 'Un
Moon of the Werewolf/Undertaker's Moon (This'll be my next read)

William Schoell:
Spawn of Hell/Things that go Bump in the Night
Bride of Satan/Vicious
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's the cover I used on my copy of Twelve Gauge/Father's little Helper.

I fell down a Ronald Kelly hole recently and found a number of his old books are available in renamed editions. Same for another horror boom writer, William Schoell.

Ronald Kelly:
Father's Little Helper/Twelve Gauge
Something Out There/The Dark 'Un
Moon of the Werewolf/Undertaker's Moon (This'll be my next read)

William Schoell:
Spawn of Hell/Things that go Bump in the Night
Bride of Satan/Vicious
I thought I read somewhere that Undertaker's Moon is not only a title change, but that it's also a revision of Moon of the Werewolf. Have you read of this anywhere?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is maybe becoming more of a general horror discussion thread, which is likely a good thing.

Anyway, I just found another small line specializing in reprinting old horror. Resurrected Horrors. (Not to be confused with Macabre Ink Resurrected Horrors.)

The books in Resurrected Horrors are regularly $5. But ereaderiq shows they do go on sale.

I saw a video where the guy mentioned how much he enjoyed Disturb Not the Dream by Paula Trachtman (First Amazon review: 1 star - A parade of sexual debauchery and madness). That's how I discovered the line.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-21-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are only allowed to read Dell books on a Dell laptop in a Kosher Dell.
Glades can be kosher???????
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #50
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I saw a video where the guy mentioned how much he enjoyed Disturb Not the Dream by Paula Trachtman (First Amazon review: 1 star - A parade of sexual debauchery and madness). That's how I discovered the line.
That book was bonkers! I read it in high school, which makes it even more …. Bonkery?

I’ll have to find out whether it holds up. I remember wanting to take one of the characters aside and gently … ever so gently … removing his heart with a spoon.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:46 AM   #51
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I’ll have to find out whether it holds up. I remember wanting to take one of the characters aside and gently … ever so gently … removing his heart with a spoon.
You ever have that moment when you're looking at a 3-star Amazon review of a book, and you think, "That reviewer makes a lot of sense." You try to give it a Helpful rating. And then Amazon doesn't let you. Because you forgot that you wrote a review of this book?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Review-Screenshot.png
Views:	139
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	191811  
Old 01-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
You ever have that moment when you're looking at a 3-star Amazon review of a book, and you think, "That reviewer makes a lot of sense." You try to give it a Helpful rating. And then Amazon doesn't let you. Because you forgot that you wrote a review of this book?
I hope there was a minute there where you were reading and thinking "this reviewer... is a genius!"
Old 01-23-2022, 12:50 PM   #53
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
I hope there was a minute there where you were reading and thinking "this reviewer... is a genius!"
Of course.

And then, I tracked down some more recent reviews, including a YouTube video. And I found a brief interview with the author. And bought the book again because I'd forgotten about certain parts...
Old 01-23-2022, 02:11 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Of course.

And then, I tracked down some more recent reviews, including a YouTube video. And I found a brief interview with the author. And bought the book again because I'd forgotten about certain parts...
You're pushing me towards buying the book, while my more rational brain is yelling "wait for a sale!"
Old 01-23-2022, 04:02 PM   #55
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
You're pushing me towards buying the book, while my more rational brain is yelling "wait for a sale!"
Read some of the bad reviews, too. Then again, this is one of the cases where both the good reviews and bad reviews seem to be saying the same thing. They're all saying, "What did I just read?!"

Hmm. I just checked, and it's lendable...
Old 01-23-2022, 06:09 PM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I'll at least wait until I finish Undertaker's Moon, which I'll be starting tonight or tomorrow.