Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
mike2046
mike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Mobipocket Creator IE9 Table of Contents possible work round

In a previous post I gave a work round for the problem with the Guide option in Mobipocket Creator (see thread "Mobipocket Creator - work round for IE9 problem"). DDHarriman and Hitch kindly looked at that and through their responses I realized that this only fixed a problem with the Guide option, and didn't fix the problem with the Table of Contents option - which I hadn't been using.

I've now investigated the Table of Contents problem further and I believe I may have found a solution, and would appreciate others checking to confirm this.

The problem with the Table of Contents option seems to stem from the way empty fields are processed. This is clearly different in IE9 and resulted in the crashes.

To fix this, I made the following modifications to the function "update_toc()" within the "Table of Contents.html" file. (located in c:\Program Files\Mobipocket.com\Mobipocket Creator\rsrc\html)

After the line (near the start of the function)
Code:
      var parameters = new Array();
add the following line
Code:
      var size = 0;
this declares a variable to be used for checking the size of the attribute and value fields.

Now add the following four lines
Code:
      size = attribute.length;
      if (size < 1) {attribute="";}
      size = value.length;
      if (size < 1) {value = "";}
immediately between the following two lines near the end of the function. It is ESSENTIAL that they appear before the "parameters[i]..." line - otherwise nothing is fixed and the crashes will continue.
Code:
     last_non_empty_level = i;
     parameters[i] = [ tag, attribute, value ];
The extra code ensures that if the attribute and/or value fields are empty then they are set to zero length strings, which are successfully processed at the end of the function.

In addition to the above changes, the changes I outlined in

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172371

also need to be applied.

The Table of Contents option should now work.

Only do this if you are comfortable with editing the html and javascript code in the html file, and make a backup copy of "Table of Contents.html" before attempting these changes, so that you can get back to your original set up.

Last edited by mike2046; 04-24-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: "value" missing after "attribute and/or"
mike2046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
mike2046
mike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it ismike2046 knows what time it is

Addition to my previous post

In addition to the changes indicated above, the changes I indicated in my previous thread "Mobipocket Creator - work round for IE9 problem" also need to be applied.
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
cjallan
Enthusiast
cjallan doesn't littercjallan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2046 View Post
In addition to the changes indicated above, the changes I indicated in my previous thread "Mobipocket Creator - work round for IE9 problem" also need to be applied.
Thank you very much, Mike!

I am very glad to hear that you have found that solution, but I fear it is in the "experts" range... too complicated for the "newbies" readers of my tutorials.

I wonder if there is any way to get someone at Amazon to make those changed files available for download...

Then, the user could download the corrected files and replace the original Mobipocket files.

Do you think there is any chance of that?

Thanks again for your efforts!

CJ
cjallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
mike2046

Making changes

Hi CJ,

These certainly need to be done carefully, otherwise the program could end up unusable and need to be reinstalled - hence the need to make a backup copy of the files before making any changes, so that they can be restored to their original state in the event of problems. I don't know if Amazon will do anything regarding this, as the emphasis now seems to be very much on Kindlegen.

I posted the information as I thought it might help some people. Googling this issue brought up loads of sites where people have hit problems when installing IE9. That was how I first found out about it, and initially reverted to IE8. I noted too that some people seemed to need IE9 for other reasons, so that going back to IE8 wasn't possible for them.

Creator is perhaps getting long in the tooth and maybe it is time to move on to other options. But for taking something from Project Gutenberg and producing a more user friendly book in regard to the navigation its not a bad tool. I use it for that and converting word documents for use on my Kindle/PC Kindle.

Were you able to make the changes to at least get the Guide option working?

Mike
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My solution is to use Calibre to create Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
mike2046

Yes, I've got Calibre installed as well - though I'm still learning to use it. Looks like a very good program. As I beginner I started with Mobipocket creator, and found it really helpful for learning the basics of ebook creation.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
It Works!

Hello mike2046

Just to let you know that after making the second changes of this post (on top of the ones you advise in your other post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172371), I managed to install Ie9 and create a Mobipocket eBook without a problem.

I went even further and tested with two levels of TOC (using heading 1 and 2) and they create and show perfectly in the TOC menus of the eBook reader(s).

Thank you very much for the work you have put on this situation.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
mike2046

Hi DDHarriman,

Thanks very much for taking the time to check this out, and for letting me know! Its nice to know it works for others too.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
iBookMan
iBookMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
A Kazillion Thanks, Mike! It works.

Mobipocket Creator does the best job on converting PDF to mobi, but I just couldn't bring myself to go back to IE 8, which is what most of the answers seemed to suggest. I gave up for a few months, but today I had a huge PDF with a toc entry for every other page so googled again so I wouldn't have to manually add the entries in Sigil.

I tried your fixes and voilà! I'm a happy camper again. Thanks so much for tracking this down.
iBookMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
lwgosselin
lwgosselin began at the beginning.

Talking Thank you sooo much!

Just wanted you to know I made the html changes you suggested to Mobicreator and now it's working fine. I'm so glad I found your thread.

I spent over a week searching the Mobi site and trying to work with Kindle Publishing to resolve the TOC build problem, but I couldn't find the answer until I found you here...
lwgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
MobiPocket closed

I was suprised to find MOBIpocket.com closed.

Is there a site where their software tools can still be found?

Thanks
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Hello crutledge

The Mobipocket website is still running and you can download the software tools accessing http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN

Best regards,
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #13
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hello crutledge

The Mobipocket website is still running and you can download the software tools accessing http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN

Best regards,
When I try to download the Reader I get a "broken link,"
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You can still download the Mobipocket 6.2 Windows installer via archive.org.
(You'll have to wait a couple of seconds before the download dialog box pops up.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru

Hello

You are right, the reader does that message, but the creator downloads well.

Best regards,

Tags
creator ie9 toc