Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #24376
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

Because the best Star Trek captain drank it, that is why.
Capt. James T. Kirk never drank tea!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #24377
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero #1 in my cup.

And welcome, Elysium. The tea-drinkers will be pleased to have another addict around.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #24378
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

6pm... The BBQ beef ribs are done... I'm sitting here with a mug of Lapsang Souchong looking at a baby typhoon (or is it a typhoon-in-training?) outside my window.

Stitchawl
Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #24379
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Probably comes from drinking Earl Grey tea. I could never understand why that tea is so popular!

Stitchawl
Couldn't agree more. First time someone gave me Earl Grey I spat it out. I genuinely thought they had left washing up liquid in the cup .

Just finished a full English breakfast, a rare event, but when in Rome, or at least a Welsh hotel...

Decaff coffee of course.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #24380
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Capt. James T. Kirk never drank tea!

Stitchawl
Just one of the many reasons he is not the one I referred to in my post.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #24381
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Just one of the many reasons he is not the one I referred to in my post.
While I'm willing to concede that Jean-Luc was a capable starship captain, you must accept the fact that he never rose to Admiralty level. The reason, I believe, is because he drank Earl Grey tea.

Quote:
Just finished a full English breakfast, a rare event, but when in Rome, or at least a Welsh hotel...
Geez! It didn't take you very long to get there. Seems like going from Singapore to Malaysia, but without the bridge. How long a drive is it, say, from London.

Stitchawl
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #24382
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
While I'm willing to concede that Jean-Luc was a capable starship captain, you must accept the fact that he never rose to Admiralty level. The reason, I believe, is because he drank Earl Grey tea.
Stitchawl
Actually he turned down the position more the once. He knew where he wanted to be and stayed there. Some wisdom in that for all of us.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #24383
Stitchawl
Opsimath

The first cup is usually free...
Bergamot Addiction... it will sap the will to achieve right out of our young people if we are not careful. Far, far worse than Jasmin, which at least gets moderated by a good Oolong...

But I'm thinking about Juniper berries, and all the healthy herbs that go into Bombay Sapphire to give it that beautiful blue color!

Stitchawl
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #24384
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Geez! It didn't take you very long to get there. Seems like going from Singapore to Malaysia, but without the bridge. How long a drive is it, say, from London.

Stitchawl
Only a couple of hours . Now I'm in the capital, Cardiff, shopping...not all fun and games, this holiday lark.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #24385
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Can you purchase replicas of the Cardiff Giant?
Do the bells really say all will be well if if if if?
Enjoy your hols!

I finally have my Bombay blue...Even added some lemon and lime juices this time too!

Stitchawl
Old 04-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #24386
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My first cup of tea, from store bought tea bags.

I had to go to the dentist yesterday, so I went out to several stores in the area, including the local Asian food market. I picked up a few small cannisters of good, loose tea. Then to a farm market for a five pound jug (about 2.3 kg) of buckwheat honey. I'm set.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #24387
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Only a couple of hours . Now I'm in the capital, Cardiff, shopping...not all fun and games, this holiday lark.
Shopping is not fun?

Hazelnut coffee in my cup.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #24388
Elysium
Nameless Being

Post-P90X peach iced tea before work this afternoon. Delicious.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #24389
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
A glass of Shiraz to close out the day. Ummm, yesterday ... closing out yesterday. Because if it was today it would be just too, too early ... it being past midnight and all.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #24390
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
( excerpts from my travel journal; please excuse the grammar and such; I have little wifi to check it)

(06-04 Turpan- Liuyang by train-Dun Huang by car)
After an early rise on to a cold train station at half past 5. A cosy train compartment, lace curtains with embroidered camels, hot water.....and the toilet next door.....couldn't be better.
The landscape: Taklamakan desert with bare brown/ yellowish rocks, hills; small villages, occasional rows of fruit trees and a kind of hothouses, build of two or more rows of concrete snd covered by cloth.
As the train halts there're food vendors on the quays.I buy a meal: rice with egg/ tomato, celery sticks, tofu.

By mid afternoon the train rolls from the Taklamakan - into the Gobi desert and the small tonw Liuyang, province Gãnsū. It looks rather forbidding, these dark sparsely vegetated sands and -storms. The only thing to see are the wooden poles for electricity. I could imagine it being a landscape after a disaster.

The driver buys gaz and we have to exit the car while filling up. After 130 kilometer there's life in the desert, near Dun Huang; plastic hothouses, trees and shrubbery. In the hotel, a young girl hands us hot towels to freshen up and there's something unknown in the room, a" fire escape hood": looks like a kind of gaz mask with a tinfoil hood.

Dunhuang or 'Blazing Beacon'(pop. 187,578), is an oasis in the Gobi desert. For ages it is the western gate to China. Men lived there in 2000 B.C. It lies strategically at the crossroads of the ancient Southern Silk Route and the main road leading from India via Lhasa to Mongolia and Southern Siberia. It is also known for the numerous ancient Buddhist caves nearby.

Buddhism in China: enters China in 1-2nd century A.D. Merchants of the Silk Road are important in the spread of it, as they support their monastries and in return have a safe haven along the way. Direct contact between Indian and Chinese Buddhism continues throughout the 3rd-7th century (Tang period). In the 4th century Chinese pilgrims travel to northern India, their source of Buddhism, to get more access to original sutra's, the canonical scriptures.( see also "Journey to the West" by Wu Cheng-en)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West
During the 9th century(Tang-era), Emperor Wuzong and the Muslim rulers of Central Asia represses Buddhism.

(07-04 Dunhuang)
Cold today, 13 C. Before the Chinese breakfast of vegetables, dumpling, egg and tea, a girl in a red/ gold kimono welcomes/ bows to the guests.
After Kashgar and Turpan, Dun Huang is a Chinese town. Is's street lights are ( metal) Chinese lanterns and the streetsigns are no longer in Uyghur. I am going to see one of the highlights in this region today; the Mogao caves.

In the 4th century an important buddhist center develops in this region, with numerous caves; the first ones build in 366 A.D. The most important are the 775 Caves of the Thousand Buddhas or Mogao Caves. They are known for their fine examples of the Buddhist art, spanning 1000 years, and for the sealed, hidden ( not certain why) hoard of manuscripts.

In 1900 an important cache of manuscripts is discovered in the "Library Cave", walled-up in the 11th century. Almost all of that library is sold in those days by the Chinese who finds it; a small part remains in China. Up to 50,000 manuscripts from the 5-11th century in Chinese, Tibetan, Uyghur, Sanskrit, Sogdian and Khotanese on hemp, silk and paper. The material gives a fascinating view on the 5-11th century society: secular works as anthologies, glossaries, political matters, Taoïst and Confucian. But also religious(Buddhist, Christian) of northern China and religions of other Central Asian kingdoms.It includes the earliest printed book, the Diamond Sutra of 868 A.D., translated into Sanskrit in the 4th century.

From the 80-ies this complex of caves is an Unesco World Heritage site. In the bare desert landscape it doesn't look like much. All one sees from the outside are three rows of holes in rocks and a few small stupa's, that contain buddhist relics.
I'll see the museum next to the caves, where some of the niches of the caves are reconstructed. That is; the caves that were crumbling. Overall it is a good museum that shows the history of, the restoration and research.

With a guide I see about 10 of the most important caves and really, it is a marvel to behold. These caves are from top to bottom decorated with beautiful colored Buddha's, Bodhisatva's, scenes from ancient indian buddhist tales and portraits of the benefactors of the caves. There are niches with sculptures of Buddha's in it, flanked by deïties and others.

I am in awe at seeing the 10- tiers pagoda with a statue of an inmense 34,5 meter Buddha (the third biggest in China), and a sleeping one of 11 meter with 72 disciples. Most of the things are in a reasonable state, bright colors. And I see the Library cave, that contained all those scriptures. The guide is somewhat bitter about the loss of the manuscripts for China, but there are two sides to this story, I guess. There happens to be a Greek tourist in the tour around the caves and I mumble 'Elgin marbles', which sets him a rumbling about the lost treasures of Greece. Well.......
And I buy two books, a stack of postcards and carefully circle the numbers of the caves I've seen for future reference. Marvellous all.

(Tomorrow by train to Jiayuguan)

In my cup: Nescafé

Last edited by desertblues; 04-07-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Changed BC. In A.D. Ecxuses
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?