Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-02-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
Griff
Enthusiast
Griff began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NR70v
Trying to cover too much ground?

Took a look at the different forums tonight and it seems to me there isn't a real focus to the community. There are also a number of forums that really duplicate areas that other boards have already claimed, if you will.

I think focusing turcic into THE place to discuss mobile content, including clipping and ebooks is the way to go.

One area that I think would be good is a reviews section for the clips in the WCC. I just went through it this past weekend and am looking at the items I actually want to keep from the list.

Might also be good to merge forums together. For example, Handstory could probably go down to one forum, as ISilo could. Add areas for AvantGo and Plucker. Keep this as the Mobile Content Viewer section or some such.

Rename Palm Hardware/Software and PPC Hardware Software into General Palm Discussion and General PPC Discussion. The names are a bit more friendly to someone who doesn't want to get all technical. A rename of Other Hardware/Software to Emerging Technologies or some such could create a buzz and draw for that forum.

Would shorten Electronic Books to EBooks, other than that looks good, might move it higher in the structure though. Give it a bit more focus.

Reference could probably go. Merge the topics into exisitng forums as appropriate, maybe make them sticky or some such so they remain viewable to everyone.

Moving General down the page to the bottom spot and renaming it to Community, or Site Discussion would be interesting. I doubt you want the focus of the site to be about site issues and off topic discussion, by keeping it so high on the list it draws people to it first.

This sort of compression and reorganization can help alot as most people I encounter don't like scrolling all that much to find the content that's made the site famous. WCC should be at the top, and as I mentioned elsewhere, open to all.

Back to my original point, the site looks good and I commend Alexander for getting it online and providing a service to those interested in mobile content. It does look a bit thrown together though and with a little more focus I can see turcic being the place to go to discuss the emerging Mobile Content chatspace.

Take 'em, leave 'em, flame me in PM's...just a few ideas.

Edit: Just in case this sounded a bit harsh, let me tell you it wasn't meant to be. I'm not really sure what you want the site to be. I see on the homepage it is your personal site, yet from comments on CS, and the forums I see, it seems you really want it to be more. I don't know if there is a moderation team of more than Alex and GV or not, but I might suggest taking a few hours to really hash out what you want turcic to become, and then make it that.

Last edited by Griff; 07-02-2003 at 12:48 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Griff, I truely appreciate your input. Much of what you've said is true and it is currently being discussed between Gary, Sunshine and me.

I am still on vacation (and writing this message via WiFi from my hotel room), and have only limited web editing resources.

The next step which will definitely take place soon (as soon as I am back home) is the replacement of the (private) home page with a portal system (similar to CS). I already allocated a new server for my private stuff. Most of your suggestions for regrouping the forum are very good and I am sure Gary and Sunshine will agree with me that we have to do some changes here as well.

Greets
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
chunlin66
Enthusiast
chunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it is

Device: Clie NX60
I agree with Griff about the forum name changes, and the review idea sounds good.
chunlin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
Griff
Enthusiast

Any hints on when some of this reorg will happen? For some reason seeing all the admin stuff at top is just bugging me every time I visit here <LOL>.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:12 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Any hints on when some of this reorg will happen? For some reason seeing all the admin stuff at top is just bugging me every time I visit here <LOL>.
Slowly getting there Just redid the browser section, combined several WCC sections, removed the reference section (noone really posted there anyways). It's not 100% done yet, but the weather is so nice outside that I didn't want to spend any more time on it today

Greets
Alex
Advert
Old 09-07-2003, 12:03 PM   #6
Griff
Enthusiast

What's happened to the rest of the changes? A while back you were saying there'd be a new portal once you got back from vacation.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

That is true, and I am working on it.

It takes more time then I thought. Here a list of the changes I am working on:

- Forum upgrade to vB 3.0
- Removal of all private-related from turcic.com
- mobile support (especially for WiFi people), which includes also the forum
- mobile portal - this is my main focus right now; I program a portal were registered forum members can make their own mobile portal with their own choice of channels.
- automaticed WCC, where you can pick your channels and the wcc .ixl file is created on the fly (this may have to wait until all the rest is done as it takes more time to program).

I am sorry if things take longer than expected, but I am still enjoying most of my time with my girlfriend who has been visiting me for the past few months (she normally lives >5.000miles away from me).
Old 09-08-2003, 10:55 AM   #8
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Well, I think I speak for everybody, when I say that we appreciate all the hard work you put into this.

And if I don't speak for everybody, I know I definitely speak for myself. :P
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote