Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
a simple epub/lit to mobi converter that isn't calibre?

converting from lit or epub to mobi in calibre continually and annoyingly messed with the formatting, when all i want is the exact same book as the original epub, just in mobi format.

eg. a few erikson books i dowloaded look great in calibre when reading the epub version but the converted mobi versions have odd page breaks and space deleted between lines where i dont want it (making it hard to see the new chapter break etc.)

i have been through the options but there doesn;t seem to be a way to stop calibre from editing the text in some way.

basically are they any simple free or paid programs (a small fee will be worth it considering all the epub books i plan on buying in the future) that will simply keep the book totally intact while simply converting the format. or is this not simply possible?

hope you can help
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you have Mobipocket Creator installed you can unzip the ePub and double click the OPF and use it to create the Mobi. Same thing with Lit's. Use ConvertLit to explode then double click the OPF and build the book. Don't know if it'll get you what you want, but it might be worth a try.

Are these the commercially available UK ePubs? I've converted over a hundred ePubs with Calibre and never seen the problem you mention so I was just wondering.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EDIT

okay the problem wasn;t very well described in my first post.

basically in the epub there are clear pages break. you scroll the mouse wheel down while viewing it in calibre and it skips to a new page showing the start of a chapter, seperating the previous chapter before it.

but when converting to mobi, not changing any setting from default. it merges all these pages into one long scrolling text, budging up the chapters together,

is this just the calibre viewer? on ym kindle will the new chpaters be seperated by a page turn, like they are in the original epub?

Last edited by grechzoo; 06-01-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
EDIT

okay the problem wasn;t very well described in my first post.

basically in the epub there are clear pages break. you scroll the mouse wheel down while viewing it in calibre and it skips to a new page showing the start of a chapter, seperating the previous chapter before it.

but when converting to mobi, not changing any setting from default. it merges all these pages into one long scrolling text, budging up the chapters together,

is this just the calibre viewer? on ym kindle will the new chpaters be seperated by a page turn, like they are in the original epub?
You need to add the following where you want page breaks (I usually stick them in at the beginning of chapters and sections.)

<mbp: pagebreak> (Or is it mpb: pagebreak? I can never keep them straight.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
grechzoo
Enthusiast

what program should i use to edit the ebooks and put this pagebreak code in?

as i cant find anywhere to do it in calibre unless im missing something
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre viewer doesn't support page breaks in MOBI. The page breaks will show up fine on the Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
grechzoo
Enthusiast

cool, thanks.

tried this and you are right, however in some old converted lit files i had there dont seem to be any pagebreaks, or at least page breaks calibre can detect while converting and this unfortunately still stands on the kindle.

so can anyone recommend a program that will allow me to input this page breakcode before each chapter?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Oh this is good information, I'm working to convert my library to mobi for when I get my Kindle.

I was wondering about the page break thing....good to know!!!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
what program should i use to edit the ebooks and put this pagebreak code in?

as i cant find anywhere to do it in calibre unless im missing something
Any text editor. It's just plain text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
or notepad++ - free and open source - the html-code is "highlighted" so you can easily tell the code from the content apart.
Quote:
<mbp: pagebreak> (Or is it mpb: pagebreak? I can never keep them straight.)
actually, it's <mbpagebreak/> (you should use the closing / to be correct, but it's not really necessary.
mbp like MoBiPocket, easy to remember
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
or notepad++ - free and open source - the html-code is "highlighted" so you can easily tell the code from the content apart.

actually, it's <mbpagebreak/> (you should use the closing / to be correct, but it's not really necessary.
mbp like MoBiPocket, easy to remember
Code:
<mbp:pagebreak/>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
thanks, forgot the "smiley check" with preview before post....
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The way that I work in practice is to edit my books in Book Designer, which uses a horizontal rule to indicate a hard page break. To convert to Mobi I save the file as HTML, and then do a global search and replace of "<hr>" with "<mbp:pagebreak>"
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I have a free copy of Finding Nouf by Zoe Ferraris in epub from Sony which has page breaks, but when I converted it to mobi using calibre, there are no page breaks. I have tried to convert a number of epub to mobi with calibre and have never seen page breaks. Am I doing something wrong?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I have a free copy of Finding Nouf by Zoe Ferraris in epub from Sony which has page breaks, but when I converted it to mobi using calibre, there are no page breaks. I have tried to convert a number of epub to mobi with calibre and have never seen page breaks. Am I doing something wrong?
Something strange must be going on. I've converted hundreds of ePub's to Mobi using Calibre and never once not had the page breaks come through the conversion (although I did have some added on a couple conversions).

Are you using the default settings?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote