Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Advice for supporting remote users?

Hey Cybook folks,

As my department's resident eBook reader user, I've been chosen to help deploy a reader system to some users who are in a remote location and unable to access the Internet at large. We do have a means of sending them book files over a private network.

Cybook was pre-selected because:
  1. The EMI signature of Kindle's Whispernet, as well as the risk of inadvertent activation, are unacceptable in our environment.
  2. The users have a previous history with Mobipocket on Windows, are familiar with the catalog, and they would like to continue shopping there.
  3. We have a support team that has logged the relevant PIDs

But, of course, as a Sony owner, I don't have the background or experience to know what contingencies we need to prepare for. I'm hoping that some of you can provide some advice.

Is the "known bugs" sticky sufficient to prepare the users for the gotchas out there?

Is there a way to preload a firmware restore file on either an SD card or a PC in case they experience a corruption? Are the firmware restore steps documented?

Anything else I would want to know about?

Thanks in advance!

Curt
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
My first thought is ....

If the customer has no internet connection, then how do they know about you. ?

(Can one get Mobipocket other than via an internet download?)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
My first thought is ....

If the customer has no internet connection, then how do they know about you. ?

(Can one get Mobipocket other than via an internet download?)
I have worked for them before. I am a project manager in real life. I'm only an ebook freak on the internet.

And to the follow-up: they have lackeys who will do the internet downloading, and forward them the files.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Is there a way to preload a firmware restore file on either an SD card or a PC in case they experience a corruption? Are the firmware restore steps documented?
Yes there is - actually that is how the update process works, you put a file onto the sd-card and hold the centerbutton pressed while booting.

There usually are 2 versions of a firmware, one that does a regular update and one that does a complete hardreset of the device first, erases all the memory and then installs the firmware (for use in case of emergency) - make sure people have both of them on their PCs and know which is which
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
The only important thing to know when working with the Cybook is to make sure they always use the "remove hardware" option in the tray before disconnecting the device.
That should garantee that the devices memory does not get corrupted - if they follow that simple rule there should not be any problems at all.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
Yes there is - actually that is how the update process works, you put a file onto the sd-card and hold the centerbutton pressed while booting.

There usually are 2 versions of a firmware, one that does a regular update and one that does a complete hardreset of the device first, erases all the memory and then installs the firmware (for use in case of emergency) - make sure people have both of them on their PCs and know which is which
I always keep a copy of the latest firmware (full "format" version) on my SD card when I'm traveling with the Cybook, just in case.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-20-2009 at 10:40 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I must say I haven't had a firmware corruption, just the occasional system hang. I'd make sure they know where the reset button is
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I must say I haven't had a firmware corruption, just the occasional system hang. I'd make sure they know where the reset button is
The firmware is highly unlikely to get "corrupted", since it's in a partition that the user can't see. What can and does get corrupted are the files in the "system" folder in the user partition. The most common cause of this is probably people unplugging the USB cable without correctly dismounting the device. It's a good idea to keep a backup of the "system" folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I had an issue recently (Cybook didn't keep its configuration), and with a precedent backup of my "system" folder, a recent one of the other folders, plus a formatting of the partition, it did the trick ! Pretty simple to do, just a little stress !
If this issue appears again, I'd try with a paste of the "system" folder only...

Last edited by Idoine; 03-20-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Quotes for "system"...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote