Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
FAT32 SD Card Problem????

Hi

Could it be the very long filenames are causing problems when I try to copy pdfs from SD Card to PC. Files are not found (althogh they ARE there) or can not be copied.

I also have the apprehension that when I have long Foldernames created by iLiad with .pdf in the name at the end Windows has problems handling them.

I assume this is a FAT32 problem...

Anyone has same problems?

Thanks
Olivier
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have not yet had this problem, can you be more accurate, so i can try to see if this happens on my device aswell?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I've sometimes had problems with some file names. I think it was related to "funny" characters and not the length of the file name. I now make sure that I only use basic alpha-numeric file names and even try to avoid spaces (using dashes instead). The actual file name is not that important because the manifest can be used to change what is displayed in the contentlister.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks for your answers.
Heres a example:

Brand_Pamela_Examining the Overlap and Prediction of Multiple Forms of Child Maltreatment, Stressors, and Socioeconomic Status_2005.pdf

This files is on SD Card in the Card Reader of my PC. I see it, but can not open it. Double click - nothing happens. In iLiad this file works fine!!!

I think I found it now: this happens when iLiad created a folder with this filname (for manifest and scribbles). The folder name is the problem: When I shorten the folder name to only "Brand_Pamela" Windows can handle the pdf in there normaly. When the folder name is as the filename above - Windows stucks.

Is this a bug? Can someone Give this filename to a pdf and look at it at iLiad and then trying to manipulate it in Windows? Then we knew if it is reproducable.

(Sorry my english is bad).
Gogolo

Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 01-09-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Thanks for your answers.
Heres a example:

Brand_Pamela_Examining the Overlap and Prediction of Multiple Forms of Child Maltreatment, Stressors, and Socioeconomic Status_2005.pdf

This files is on SD Card in the Card Reader of my PC. I see it, but can not open it. Double click - nothing happens. In iLiad this file works fine!!!

I think I found it now: this happens when iLiad created a folder with this filname (for manifest and scribbles). The folder name is the problem: When I shorten the folder name to only "Brand_Pamela" Windows can handle the pdf in there normaly. When the folder name is as the filename above - Windows stucks.

Is this a bug? Can someone Give this filename to a pdf and look at it at iLiad and then trying to manipulate it in Windows? Then we knew if it is reproducable.

(Sorry my english is bad).
Gogolo

Gogolo
I suspect it is the commas that are doing it in. Commas are illegal in directory names on many systems.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Gogolo
Addict

No, I have a lot of other folders and files working with commas.

Its weird:

If I give a folder the long name mentioned above, I can not give a pdf inside this folder the same name - it stopps at predictio...

When the folder name is shorter it works...

Maybe its a combination of characters (like commas) and long folder names. Weird...

Anyone can test this (everything on a card under windows)?
Thanks!
Gogolo