Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
From the WSJ story:-

"In 2010, the last year for which the city has complete reports, the city spent $45,579 on Apple desktops, laptops and iPads."

Hmmm. Don't think I'll be shorting Apple anytime soon
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Apple responds about EPEAT on App Advice Daily.
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/07/a...ion-withdrawal
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Off topic:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But they aren't removable by the consumer. Oh, I know the device can be dismantled, and the battery removed, but the typical purchaser isn't going to do that before throwing the Kindle away.

The K4, as a matter of interest, has a glued-in battery which can't be removed even if the device is dismantled.
You're right about the 4th Generation Kindle. Pretty much everything is glued in place, not just the battery. Here's a video link to a fellow who tried to take it apart. Don't try this at home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYPtJX4ZeI

On the other hand, just as they did for earlier model Kindles, NewPower99 sells replacement batteries for the Kindle Touch, and replacing the battery looks to be even easier on the Touch than it was on them (I did a battery replacement on one of the earlier models without their kit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmwQbc6TWMg

Yes, the typical purchaser may indeed choose to toss the Touch when the battery goes belly up, but there's no reason to since replacing the battery is such a simple procedure.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-11-2012 at 08:02 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
All that empty space! ...and they went glue crazy!

Would love to see a Kindle the size of a Galaxy Player 5.0
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
All that empty space! ...and they went glue crazy!

Would love to see a Kindle the size of a Galaxy Player 5.0
I thought that already existed, called a Galaxy Player 5.0 with Kindle app
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I thought that already existed, called a Galaxy Player 5.0 with Kindle app
SA (don't ask me what that stands for)

But it has LCD and I want eInk.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
SA (don't ask me what that stands for)
Ok, I won't
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
K4 battery removal tool

Reminds me of a fairly old Jeep joke; if you can't solve the problem with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #24
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
San Francisco bought Macs? I guess I won't care tomorrow if I didn't know yesterday.

Same.

Sony has a free recycling program. If your stuff is worth money they'll give you a Sony gift card for a few bucks but at the very least they'll mail you a paid shipping label to mail the item and they'll take care of it. It's not only for Sony stuff, it's for any electronics.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #25
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
K4 battery removal tool

Classic. Killing the patient to save them.....

sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Same.

Sony has a free recycling program. If your stuff is worth money they'll give you a Sony gift card for a few bucks but at the very least they'll mail you a paid shipping label to mail the item and they'll take care of it. It's not only for Sony stuff, it's for any electronics.
Interesting. Maybe that will convince me to get rid of a few boxes of old electronic crap.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting. Maybe that will convince me to get rid of a few boxes of old electronic crap.

Helen
Here's a link since it's hard to find on their website. So far I've sent them two old cell phones and I also did their Sony Reader trade-in program whenever they last had that, like a couple years ago?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #28
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Reminds me of a fairly old Jeep joke; if you can't solve the problem with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Interesting. Back in the service, I had a Jeep and a driver.

Now as a civilian, I have a "liberated" Jeep I drive myself, though I have to keep the kids out of it. A different color of course which varies from year to year.

As for the hammer, the one I am familiar with was "If a hammer won't solve the problem, then get a bigger hammer."

So anyway, I now have a Jeep and an 8 pound hammer. That combination is quite serviceable.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #29
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Interesting. Back in the service, I had a Jeep and a driver.

Now as a civilian, I have a "liberated" Jeep I drive myself, though I have to keep the kids out of it. A different color of course which varies from year to year.

As for the hammer, the one I am familiar with was "If a hammer won't solve the problem, then get a bigger hammer."

So anyway, I now have a Jeep and an 8 pound hammer. That combination is quite serviceable.
If it jams, force it.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

In my first unit there was a sign at the Comm shop which said "If we can't fix it, we'll fix it so no one can."
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
How about the three laws of Engineering:
1. Always use the right tool for the job.
2. A hammer is the right tool for any job.
3. Anything can be used as a hammer.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote