Device: EBW-1150
Kindle Book Availability Deceit?

Check out this blog. Is it true?
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007...ther-oddities/
kgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm trying to understand what the "deceit" is? Is it that the catalogue is not the 88,000 they claim? Is it that the DRM that is somehow seen as deceitful? Is it that the books in the catalogue are also available elsewhere and to other ebook devices?

I'm having difficulty seeing the deceit. Can you highlight where the deceit is supposed to be?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
A lot of that posting is FUD ("fear, uncertainty, and doubt"). I'm amazed at how many people pick up on the "spying" aspect of the Kindle. The people who post that stuff have no clue. You can turn off the wireless and use it fine. I downloaded one book directly to the Kindle, and have since had the wireless turned off. As near as I can tell, you never even need to use the wireless. You can buy books online, download them to your computer, and transfer them over USB.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The title sucks, but the article itself was balanced and informative.

It is interesting that Amazon's big push to get new e-books has apparently largely resulted in many more non-fiction titles than before. Most are not in principle exclusive to the Kindle, but I wonder how many other e-book sellers will pick them up.

Since Amazon does not have exclusive rights, it is possible that they are responsible for more fiction e-books being available these days too. This might be the case if there has been a surge in new titles over the last 6 months or so, in anticipation of the Kindle. I don't know if there has been a recent up-tick in new releases or not.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Deceit? Maybe...

I am ambivalent about the article. Yes, it appears to be factually accurate. And there's no doubt in my mind that Amazon has the same or fewer *NOVELS* available than one can find at Fictionwise, Mobipocket or Booksonboard. Ditto that the Amazon Kindle prices are a tad higher.

However, I do believe Amazon has the 80,000+ available Kindle titles - just not all of those titles being novels. To those of us who primarily use our ebook readers as a method for enjoying fiction, not finding 80,000+ novels in Kindle format appears to be a 'bait and switch' tactic. However, many people want a dedicated ebook reader *and* non-fiction titles. Here is where the difference is made up; and I can understand why Amazon chose to ensure a large number of non-fiction titles are available. They want to entice the non-fiction reader to the Kindle.

Deceit? To a fiction enthusiast, sure. To a non-fiction newcomer, it's more of a Welcome mat, IMO.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think it's just more of the same sort of self-disappointment that we see with e-bookstores in general.

What I mean is that when I (for example) hear that Sony has 24k titles, or that Amazon has 88k titles part of my mind unconsciously assumes that all of those titles are ones I would like to read. If I stop and think about that, I know it's silly and unrealistic. Even so, like most folks, I might not think about it, get all excited, dive right into the listings and discover that the number of available e-books which I want read (and haven't already) is actually pretty small. The natural reaction to that is disappointment, and a tendency to think I've been mislead.

The truth in that situation is that I have been mislead, not by the vendor but rather by my own unconsidered expectations.

It's perfectly natural, but it's still a mental trap, and when the sting is fresh, the likelihood of examining the situation critically is pretty small, so most folks never realize they essentially "baited and switched" themselves.

When I answer the question of how many books are available for "that thing," I try to make sure that folks think ahead of time about the fact that most of the X number of thousands of books in whatever store are unlikely to interest them, as they doubtless have their own tastes and don't just love whatever book they encounter. My hope is to try to let folks take what they find on a level footing, rather than badly slanted by what they didn't even realize they expected to find.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote