Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #421
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I liked Dolphin for a while but now for some reason it only loads about 70-80% of the web page and then just stalls out and sits there, whereas Silk will load it in 2-3 seconds
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #422
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I happened upon a Kindle Fire sale on QVC yesterday, and noticed during their repetitive hour-long demo that their Fire had a YouTube icon I'd never seen. A quick search turned up "vTube- YouTube viewer & downloader(Kindle Tablet Edition)" a free ad-supported app at Amazon.

Although the App has a surprisingly large number of 1-star reviews I've actually been fairly happy with it so far. Unlike the official Google App you can sign in to your regular YouTube account and access your subscriptions. The interface is different than the YouTube default, but it takes very little time to get used to.

Aside from the somewhat intrusive advertising, I've noticed one big drawback. Despite what the description says there doesn't appear to a way to access playlists once you're inside a channel. If the channel you're looking at has several hundred videos it becomes a real chore to scroll through and search for the specific videos you want. This, to me, is a pretty significant problem.

Video playback is fine, and the app allows you to specify all the normal dpi settings that YouTube offers.

Overall, I like it, but the lack of useable playlists is a big drawback. Also upgrading to the version that actually allows downloads will cost you $1.99 or 199 coins.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #423
pb117
pb117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8.9" HD
Alright I apologize in advance if I missed this Q & A in all these pages but...looking for recommendation for a utility/cleaner app to get rid of unwanted content, clean the cache, etc. there are several free ones on the amazon site but am interested in folks' guidance on this. thanks
pb117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #424
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
What do you use for the following? Looking for a good app for each:

- Calendar/planner with Google Calendar sync
- Handwriting/notebook app with free-drawing option as opposed to just text, great if you could have botn in the same page, and Evernote integration a must.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #425
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
What do you use for the following? Looking for a good app for each:

- Calendar/planner with Google Calendar sync
- Handwriting/notebook app with free-drawing option as opposed to just text, great if you could have botn in the same page, and Evernote integration a must.
I'm not sure about the handwriting app (mine all take typing input only I think), but the calendar app that comes with your Fire integrates with Google Calendar already, so I never have needed a secondary app for that.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #426
Bobmark
Bobmark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
Sideloading Apps (apk files)

I'm new to the App game so I need some basics. How do I install an apk file that I downloaded forr one of your reommendations. My total experience has been with the Amazon store.
Bobmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #427
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
First you have to go into the Kindle settings - Device and select "allow install of apps from unkown sources".

Then you need some type of file explorer like ES File Explorer. Using that, navigate to the folder where you loaded the apk file and tap on it to install.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #428
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just discovered Push To Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/FiveFilters-or.../dp/B005GFM0H0

It works similar to the Send To Kindle browser plugin. You can download direct to SD if you don't want it 'clouded', or send it to any other Kindle in the world if you know the Kindle's email address and an authorized email address.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #429
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any suggestions for a podcast app? I've tried Podcast Addict and IPP Podcast Player but compared to what I'm used to on iOS they are both lacking some features. For example, ability to adjust playback speed.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #430
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Any suggestions for a podcast app? I've tried Podcast Addict and IPP Podcast Player but compared to what I'm used to on iOS they are both lacking some features. For example, ability to adjust playback speed.
I've never found an Android app that I like to handle podcasts. Keeping an old iPod for that purpose.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #431
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I added Gone Mad for my audiobooks, many of which are non-DRM WMA format, as it has actual bookmarking.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #432
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Podcast Addict is the podcast app of choice for my wife and me.
It does have speed control, from 0.4x to 3x I believe, though neither my wife nor I use that feature.

I think it's an excellent app. The only thing my wife has commented on compared to her iPod is that podcasts need to be in a playlist before they can be sorted in certain ways.

What else do you find it lacking?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #433
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Podcast Addict is the podcast app of choice for my wife and me.
It does have speed control, from 0.4x to 3x I believe, though neither my wife nor I use that feature.

I think it's an excellent app. The only thing my wife has commented on compared to her iPod is that podcasts need to be in a playlist before they can be sorted in certain ways.

What else do you find it lacking?
I overlooked the speed control on PCA. I'll give that another look. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #434
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
beyond pod

My favorite is Beyond Pod
FREE version is just fine no need to spend on paid version unless you want to.
Has all the features you'd want.
Great app
http://www.beyondpod.mobi/android/index.htm

Quote:

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-10-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typei
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #435
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
This is a good app, free from the Amazon market

https://www.amazon.com/onlinenewsrea.../dp/B00K4K9UL6

It reads newspapers from all over the US, Canada and the UK.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote