Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How has your spending on ebooks been since the agency switch?
The same; I am buying as many books as I was before 24 13.87%
Less; I have not bought as much as I would have before 131 75.72%
More; I have bought more than I would have bought before 3 1.73%
Other 15 8.67%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How has your spending been, post-Agency?

I think the higher prices are definitely affecting my ebook buying. I have bought a few since the new model went into effect but all were either in the $6 or so range, or they were ones that hit the best-seller list and went down to $9.99.

There were also three books I wishlisted that were well above my price comfort zone and while I was waiting for them to go down in price, my public library got them in their e-collection so I downloaded them for free. One was just this morning---I had the newest Kellerman open in another window, pondering a Fictionwise buy ($17 is a lot for an ebook but it was on 100% micropay) and on a whim I checked for any library new releases and there it was. I saved myself $17! In the old days of 'everybody has a coupon code sometime' I might have bought it the day it came out.

So, have you spent more? Less? The same?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Less.

Georestrictions removes the possibility of buying lots to start with.

There was one book though that I would have gotten and can actually buy - part of a series, but now that it is 40% more than the earlier volumes I will skip it.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Less - given I bought a book from BooksonBoard 1 day before the agency thing kicked in and have never been able to download it yet, nearly a month later.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
A selected less, but the number of books bought is actually zero.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Zero! I will wait the prices to fall.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I think you need to add an option - Zero.

I haven't purchased any eBooks post-Agency. Top reasons:

o My old favorite stores (eReader/Fictionwise) have nothing I want to buy since they aren't carrying the Big 5
o I'm not ready to committ to a format/web store until I build a disinfection workflow for that format
o I've got about 200 books in eReader format to disinfect (I'm a re-reader and many are series, so they are important to me)
o I don't have time to actually read right now, as I'm spending my reading time learning Python/Calibre/Sigil and reseraching disinfection scripts!
o Pricing still seems to be all over the place, so I'll wait for some stability

I never bothered to disinfect my eReader titles over the last 7 years because I was comfortable with the style of DRM and the selection of titles. Between the Agency Model and B&N buyout, I've woken up to the danger of putting my eBooks in one basket.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I really regret my eReader purchases. Thankfully someone directed me to a PML extractor that at last allowed me to escape the hell of manual HTML formatting I was using before and to get proper ebooks. But out of about 200 books, two dozen or so had errors in the coding that made Calibre choke, and two dozen more could not be re-downloaded due to 'geographical restrictions.' I'll stick with the easily liberated epub from now on.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I need a zero option. In the 3+ years that I've had ereaders, I've yet to purchase a book. There is so much in the public domain that I haven't finished reading yet, I haven't paid attention to what Amazon/B&N/etc have for books.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've bought one book at $12.99. I kind of regret it now because I still haven't read it. It was a weak I gotta have it I own the series! moment and I justified it to myself by saying I was using one of the Target Sony cards.
I've bought several Random House books. Thank You Random House.

I've bought 4 Indie author books this month priced from $.99 to $2.99

I bought Nora Robert's newest book yesterday to share w/ my Mom ... Penguin but at $9.99. We'll have to decide about the Sookie Stackhouse book next week. For some reason my seventy-some year old Mother loves to read Vampire Chick Lit. I'll probably buy it and get it to her because there comes a point in life where when your Mom wants to read Vampire Chick Lit, you just have to bite your tongue and help her out.

As a family we've downloaded 9 books from our Library Overdrive system. My son is reading almost exclusively from there as they have much action and adventure.

I have NOT purchased David Baldacci, James Patterson, or Mary Higgins Clark recently. There's probably some others sitting on my Wish List but they just won't be buys at $14.99 or whatever and eventually I'll just delete them off.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
McKGrif
McKGrif began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I need a zero option. In the 3+ years that I've had ereaders, I've yet to purchase a book. There is so much in the public domain that I haven't finished reading yet, I haven't paid attention to what Amazon/B&N/etc have for books.
I agree completely I have purchased exactly one eBook.

If there is a copyrighted book I want, I'm better off buying the paperback p-book and then reformatting a downloaded digital copy, or if there is none available just scanning the paperback itself. (After I'm done reading it of course!)
McKGrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just bought other books.
Some of my favorite Authors now lose formerly "easy" sales. They probably will not get me back.

It provides a good excuse to try new authors
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well,
Still haven't finished wheel of time book 5.

For now, book needs to be availible again. Then we'll see about prices.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
It's not zero, but I think I've only picked up two books from Amazon since the price increases. And I've passed up at least two books that I really wanted, but the kindle prices were more than the paperback prices.

I've begun to seriously search through MR's library and have found some interesting books.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Much less - both due to agency pricing & geographical restrictions. I purchased as many $9.99 or less ebooks on my Wish List as I could before the new pricing model, and will be reading those while the dust settles. And downloading even more from MR.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
smaller publishers

I have not bought any books from the big 5 since the agency thing. I have bought some books through Fictionwise that are from smaller publishers.

I have not even bothered to look for some of my favorite authors that I know have books coming out because I don't want to be annoyed that I can't buy them or they are too expensive.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote