Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Mainemom
Mainemom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mac user: which to buy?

I was just 2 seconds away from pressing "Buy" on a Sony 700 and then read that the screen is poor, then almost bought a 505, but just couldn't do it. I have been researching for months and still feel overwhelmed. Please be opinionated and offer me straight advice!

--I read popular (genre) fiction mainly
--I do not care if I am beholden to Amazon or some other company (I have no political views that influence this decision)
--I am a MacBook user, and do not run Parallels or Bootcamp, although my son has a PC in the house which I can use
--I am not tech savvy (workarounds are not going to be easy for me, but I will do them if necessary)
--I do not give a fig about wireless connectivity
--Cost is no object -- but I want to get something for my money
--I would like to be able to search and annotate
--I'm a professor, and it would be "nice" to be able to read articles in PDF, but this reader is primarily for fun, not a work tool
--Visibility and clarity is (enlarging font) important
--Long battery life and quicker page turns are good
--I am a bit worried that there will be a new device from Amazon or Sony that will make me wish I waited until the second quarter of 2009

I wish there were a program that I could input answers and it would spit out the reader I should buy. Failing that, I have to bother you folks.
Thank you!

Any advice?
Mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
As much as I LOVE my Reader, I'm going to recommend a Kindle for you, and here's why:
-Same screen clarity as the Reader
-Cheaper prices on bestsellers
-Sony software doesn't work on the Mac, you have to interface with Calibre and even then I don't think you can buy Sony's books, you have to get them elsewhere.
-Kindle has search functions

For the battery life, make sure you keep whispernet off until you need it (it will drain the battery).
Sony isn't going to come out with anything soon. I hear possibly the Kindle might, but do you really want to play that waiting game?
I think the 700 is the only one with annotate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Your list was perfect, I have a feeling others will agree with me (at least comparing the Sony vs Kindle, I don't know much about the other devices).

Hope this helps!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I'm predominately a MAC user and I have a Cybook which has no problems interfacing with the MAC as it is just drag and drop. It's very simple, light and still ahs the same screen as the Sony etc.
From what I understand, you only need to use a PC once to use the Sony to register your device otherwise you can use it with anything else a drag and drop, but as I don't have once that is just what I have gleaned from this forum site.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I would go with a Kindle too. and I wouldnt worry too much about them droping a new device. for 30 days you can return it for free (3.99 if you UPS it with them which is still cheap as hell as it would cost you 12 bucks to UPS it yourself)

if the kindle 2 does come out, and you do want it, im sure you can unload your kindle 1 on ebay for close to what it sells for, so you wouldnt be out any money

anyway, Kindle has a 30day no hassle return policy, go order it now, keep the box, and if you dont like it, print out a return label and send it back in a few weeks.

and for a novel reader, kindles wireless is just great, when i had a kindle once a week i would just go browse the bookstore from my kindle, and download sample chapters. it really is a great function, even if you rarely use it.

Last edited by Andybaby; 01-19-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I think the 700 is the only one with annotate? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The Kindle can annotate via its keyboard.

A downside of the Kindle is that it can only read PDFs after they are converted to MOBI.

The PRS-700 is the 1st of the new wave of readers, so it is unlikely to be upstaged by another Sony device soon. There will be a Kindle 2 this year (perhaps very soon, but Amazon is selling plenty of Kindle 1's so perhaps not for a while), but we really know almost nothing about it. I think the Kindle 1 is "good enough", particularly because, more than with other devices on the market, it is the Kindle Store that you are buying with the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iRex devices also support annotation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #7
Alan P.
Alan P. began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I'm a mac user also.
I adore my PRS-505, read classic and popular fiction mostly.
I have no need for wireless connectivity, touch screen, downloading today's NY Times, or whatever.
Calibre is fantastic for Mac users; clear, simple, works every time for me. I never connected my PRS to a PC; don't have to. It charges on my Mac, shows up on the desktop, and with Calibre I can load/convert any .txt, .html, .rtf, and some PDFs (depending on what's in it) perfectly.
I've used the Kindle; I find it a little bulky, poorly designed, and cheap-feeling. I have no need for the keyboard; I read with my eyes.
I don't like the Sony 700; the screen is vastly inferior to the 505 in my opinion, I think a touch-screen is totally ridiculous to read a book (I hold my reader in 1 hand, change the page with a finger/thumb on that hand, my other had is happy not having to do anything, thank you) and it gets fingerprints everywhere.
I use a $25 head-lamp from Brookstone to read at night; it is way superior to the Sony add-on light for the 505 or the 700's built-in light. So I look like a nerd; no one sees me at home in the dark. The head-lamp works better than anything else, and adds no weight, battery drain, and I can use it in any position.
MY DISCLAIMER:
I don't buy ebooks, I find what I need on the net. Some legally, some not. I do this with many things, and I have the knowledge and ability to put whatever I find into a format my reader understands- and make it look perfect - with little effort. If you are the type that finds this offensive, I'm sorry; I'm just here to help a fellow mac user (it downright hurts me to see Mac users get P.Oed because they can't use Sony's store.) There's a whole lot you can do without it, and it never stopped me from using my reader every night with any book I want to load into it.
By the way, the battery lasts a VERY long time; I read at least 12-15 hrs. a week and the battery level MAY go down 1 notch (out of 4). The page turn is fine; I press it on the beginning of the last line of text, and by the time I finish that line it changes pages. Perfect.
I don't know anyone who needs more than 3 Font sizes; I usually read on 'S', sometimes 'M' (depending on how I formatted the book in the first place), and the 'L' is, to me, for the truly visually impaired (which thankfully I am not).
I hope I helped and didn't offend.

Last edited by Alan P.; 01-20-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: additional information
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Mainemom
Mainemom began at the beginning.

Device: none
thank you for your helpful replies. I have ordered the Kindle from Amazon. It should arrive in late February -early March, and I will have 30 days to test it. I would like to do the same with the SONY, but I have been told the return policy is not forgiving, so that's that.

to Alan -- thank you for the lengthy reply. However, I am not choosing an ereader based on anything but reading legally obtained content, so whether it is easier to infringe copyright with one or another device is not my concern here.
Mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainemom View Post
thank you for your helpful replies. I have ordered the Kindle from Amazon. It should arrive in late February -early March, and I will have 30 days to test it. I would like to do the same with the SONY, but I have been told the return policy is not forgiving, so that's that.

to Alan -- thank you for the lengthy reply. However, I am not choosing an ereader based on anything but reading legally obtained content, so whether it is easier to infringe copyright with one or another device is not my concern here.
Kindle is the way to go then, Im sorry that they are so back ordered right now, You should check every now and again for Amazon selling refurbished models, they have the same warranty and return policy, but are $30 cheaper. these are just kindles that were returned after 30 days ussually and have nothing wrong with them.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainemom View Post

Congrats on your purchase, but sorry you have to wait so long! I can't believe they are still backordered!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P. View Post
I hope I helped and didn't offend.
You helped this other undecided purchaser, thanks for laying out your reasoning.

I'm hesitant about the 700 also because of the reported substandard battery performance (1,500 page turns at best). The Sony Card offer of $100-off by Jan 31st is burning a hole in my pocket. The PRS-505 vs. -700 decision is burning a hole in my head.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
You helped this other undecided purchaser, thanks for laying out your reasoning.

I'm hesitant about the 700 also because of the reported substandard battery performance (1,500 page turns at best). The Sony Card offer of $100-off by Jan 31st is burning a hole in my pocket. The PRS-505 vs. -700 decision is burning a hole in my head.
I would get the 505 then. I wubs mine

The 700 just has less battery ability in comparison to the 505, which lasts like forever. But if you're worried, then just go with the 505.

Do eeeet.

Sorry, I get out of control sometimes. Is there any reason you don't want the 505?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
The 505 is a nice device

It works fine with the Mac using Calibre, although you will need to connect to it a Windows PC to do the registering stuff with Sony and Adobe for Adobe DE. I don't think you can use the Sony Store on a Mac (I can't anyway cos I'm in the UK), but there are plenty of other places to buy or download books from (booksonboard.com, fictionwise.com, here...)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Is there any reason you don't want the 505?
Slow speed, mostly, and worse PDF handling (and maybe a bit for lacking a search function).

I won't be reading PDFs and Calibre newspapers and magazines entirely sequentially. I'll be wanting to jump and skip. I fear the slow speed, when I'm mostly perusing pages, will drive me crazy. Calibre's magazines and newspapers, which commonly run 1300 pages, would cost me 10 minutes just for page turns, at its best advertised page-turn speed (probably more like 20 minutes in reality). And the 700 has a stroke-and-hold fast-forward page turning function, that seems to also stop very well (good control, when you let up the pressure, it's exactly at the page you want, not overshooting). The 505's 10-page jump-forward function doesn't seem useful.

Or maybe stick to PC-reading of PDFs and Calibre newspapers, and enjoy the traditional benefits of an e-Reader--clarity and battery life--on the 505? I don't know. I'd prefer to carry one device for e-reading, with good battery life, decent speed, and clarity. It's surprising Sony still doesn't make it, as those seem like basic requirements.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Slow speed, mostly, and worse PDF handling (and maybe a bit for lacking a search function).

I won't be reading PDFs and Calibre newspapers and magazines entirely sequentially. I'll be wanting to jump and skip. I fear the slow speed, when I'm mostly perusing pages, will drive me crazy. Calibre's magazines and newspapers, which commonly run 1300 pages, would cost me 10 minutes just for page turns, at its best advertised page-turn speed (probably more like 20 minutes in reality). And the 700 has a stroke-and-hold fast-forward page turning function, that seems to also stop very well (good control, when you let up the pressure, it's exactly at the page you want, not overshooting). The 505's 10-page jump-forward function doesn't seem useful.

Or maybe stick to PC-reading of PDFs and Calibre newspapers, and enjoy the traditional benefits of an e-Reader--clarity and battery life--on the 505? I don't know. I'd prefer to carry one device for e-reading, with good battery life, decent speed, and clarity. It's surprising Sony still doesn't make it, as those seem like basic requirements.
Honestly, the 505 is not that slow. I read pretty fast, and quickly I learned when to hit the button so I don't waste time. I wouldn't let that hold you back.