Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
scrapking -- if you could pick one up for me I would be extremely grateful!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
scrapking -- if you could pick one up for me I would be extremely grateful!
I'll be happy to. Shipping, duty, etc., is all on you, though.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Back on the original topic:
Quote:
US Retail Partners not excited about Kobo Glo?
How could they possibly get excited about products that they apparently cannot obtain from Kobo?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Back on the original topic:

How could they possibly get excited about products that they apparently cannot obtain from Kobo?
Eld, I agree, but also, the flip side of that is because of the lack of interest and demand in the retail channels, Kobo decided that the US market was a secondary target (and rightfully it should have: 46% market share in Canada and way lower than that in the US).

I know this whole thread that I have started reeks of a little bit of Ameri-centric egotism, but WAAHH I want the Kobo Glo here and now!

Lets hope that Kobo increases its competitiveness here, and that Amazon and B&N increases their coverage in Canada and other countries as well. It's a global world now (ironic use of words), Friedman "flattened" it, so lets get rid of country-specific releases, shall we? Just pipe dreamin'. . .
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Given the rate of buy-in from the ABA that I read about on another thread, I think things will improve for Kobo in the States when the agreement kicks in next year.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Let's see: 46% market share in Canada, which has one-ninth of the population of the US...

Ho hum - I mean national pride and all that, but really...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
It's a question of picking your battles, really. The US market is huge, yes, and that makes it important to any international corporation. But when you're releasing product to remain competitive in the rest of the world (because you're getting beaten over the head by Amazon and Barnes & Noble in the US) and you don't have a strong retail partnership until 2013... what's the better move? Focusing on the market where you have difficulties you know aren't going to get resolved in a timely manner for your product launch, or focus on the markets where you're trying to maintain your competitive advantage?

There are pluses & minuses to any approach here.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
I was rather excited about the Kobo Glo, but the lack of info in the U.S. has dampened my interest considerably.

It would be nice if Kobo would clarify what "Coming Soon" means -- any day now? next month? in time for the holidays? 2013? next summer? I'd actually be willing to wait if I had a sense of how long the wait would be so I could temper my expectations. As it is, the vagueness is making me look at other readers, which is an easy thing to do in the U.S.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
EldRick
Evangelist

I agree - Kobo is losing any chance they had at a US market share by totally blocking sales here.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
I agree - Kobo is losing any chance they had at a US market share by totally blocking sales here.
I disagree.

I don't think anyone is 'blocking' sales. If they had enough product, the readers would be in the stores. Could be a supply issue, could be underestimating demand, we don't know.

If it's worth wanting, it's usually worth waiting.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Let's see: 46% market share in Canada, which has one-ninth of the population of the US...

Ho hum - I mean national pride and all that, but really...
I have deliberately been avoiding posting in this thread because I didn't want to come across as anti-American and I truly do feel your pain having been on the other side of the fence too many times (waiting forever to get products that have been released in the U.S.). Why do you feel you have more right to this device than anyone else which is how you're coming across at this point?. Not that you'll care, but you've lost my sympathy at this point.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #27
EldRick
Evangelist

Quote:
Why do you feel you have more right to this device than anyone else...
I don't feel that at all, but I'd sure like to have at least a chance at walking into a store and seeing or buying one, which is not possible so far. And your sympathy is not something I've sought, so keep it.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
I suspect it was more Amazon previously blocking sales, if anything. Hell, Best Buy and all had Amazon Kindle displays when Sony could barely get shelves... despite Kindle being Amazon-only (no B&M sales) for years.

Between the "burnt by Amazon" issue and the fact that B&N is the other big player... well, I'm not surprised. And given this is the situation Amazon has put other countries in for years (and only now do they deign to acknowledge other markets exist)...

Maybe it's time to stop whining to Kobo for not sucking up to you, and turn your ire on sources closer to home who deserve it?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Actually, it isn't available here either or in many parts of the world for that matter. So, it is most probably not any attempt by block the device from the US and nor is it US retailers showing little or no interest in the device. Based on the lack of availability EVERYWHERE, I'd say it is just a case of limited supply. Now, I have no clue how Kobo does things but I can imagine a scenario where they notified all their country distribution channels of the new device and told them to get their initial orders in and that orders would be handled on a first come first served basis. So, US retailers were on an equal basis with every other country (except Canada who, naturally enough, got first pickings) and have to just grin and wait just like the rest of us.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #30
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
I don't think anyone is 'blocking' sales. If they had enough product, the readers would be in the stores. Could be a supply issue, could be underestimating demand, we don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
Actually, it isn't available here either or in many parts of the world for that matter .... Based on the lack of availability EVERYWHERE, I'd say it is just a case of limited supply.
I agree. I think it's a supply issue, rather than someone blocking sales.

I just wish Kobo would be more specific than "Coming Soon," as I find it easier to wait for something when I have a general idea of how long the wait will be. "Coming Soon" with no option to pre-order translates to me as "not anytime in the forseeable future."

P.S. The "Coming Soon" I'm referring to is on Kobo's own web site, not a retail partner.

Last edited by Jane12; 10-08-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote