Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Dadelius
Dadelius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Registering Kindle DX Graphite Global in a "banned to sale" country (Turkey)?

I read a lot here about related issues but I think mine is a little bit different...

Amazon does not send Kindle and its contents to Turkey but I could make it shipped to the address of a friend of mine lives in US (with my Turkish Credit Card). He will bring it to me on his vacation to Turkey.

The question is:

1. Can I register my Kindle DX in Turkey? Even if they don't sell anything related to Kindle to here, Turkey is in the range of whispernet (not 3G but EDGE/GPRS)... OR should I make it registered in US via my friend?

2. What happens if I don't register it? Can I order books from amazon.com? People says I can't download frimwares-upgrades... For example they say I can't use "collections" option. I bought my Kindle to read PDFs, and I think "collections" options is vital for PDFs. Can't I read PDFs without registrations?

Thanks for answers in advance... Please consider that It's a Global 3G version but I'm in a "banned to sale" country, Turkey...
Dadelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
The ban may be by request of the Turkish government.
It is hard to control content on a device with a global 3G capability.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
1. If your friend can register it in the US, that's probably the best way to go.

If Turkey is one of the officially unsupported countries, like China currently is, then it may be that Amazon won't accept a Turkish registration. So your only real option could be to pretend to be a US person temporarily living overseas in Turkey.

Another way to do it is to use the address of one of those US-based receiving/re-shipping services that sends stuff cheaper to overseas people. The sticky thread on getting a nook internationally in the nook forum provides a lot of help and recommendations for this.

Also, buying and using gift cards to pay for books instead of your Turkish CC might be a good idea. Just in case they ever go and check whether the billing/shipping address matches up to the card.

2. You won't be able to order Kindle books for your actual Kindle without the registration.

You can still order them via Kindle for PC with appropriate VPN proxy etc., but then you'd have to strip the DRM before you could load them up on your Kindle as the files you get wouldn't be DRM-coded for the device.

PDF reading is not affected by registration status, nor are firmware upgrades. My Kindle used to be unregistered (from the device itself, due to this wireless access privacy concern I had when I first got it, so I was paranoid about turning on the Whispernet; it was registered on the website for purchasing and such) and I had no problem applying a firmware upgrade which I downloaded from Amazon's website (won't receive them wirelessly without registration) in the meantime.

3. This thread on how to register a Kindle without Whispernet access might be useful. It's for people with a US version of the Kindle living outside the US, but some of it could probably be adapted if it turns out your friend can't do the registration, but you want to use Collections and other features.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-29-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Correct typo, add link.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Dadelius

Hi Atilla,

Actually, Kindle provides GPRS/EDGE connection from Turkey. Like in other European countries where 3G is not available... Rather, my question is about registration.

Thanks, anyway...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadelius View Post
Hi Atilla,

Actually, Kindle provides GPRS/EDGE connection from Turkey.
Ok, I am sorry. When I read the word “banned” I assumed the worst.
Good luck with your DX.

All the best
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Dadelius

Thanks ATDrake... I wanna ask one more thing: If my friend in US registers my Kindle DX, will it be possible to buy books via

1. Kindle GPRS/EDGE and,
2. Windows for PC ?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Dadelius

Sorry about my English... I should have used the word "unsupported", not "banned"
Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
1. Yes, but heavy use of Whispernet from outside the US when registered as a US resident might be one of the ways in which overseas people get caught, along with not having a US IP and CC billing address match up when purchasing.

Some people on this forum have been sent proof of US residence requests from Amazon Customer service, which can be pretty hard to sort out without corresponding documentation, and have had their accounts blocked from further purchasing in the meantime.

2. Sorry, Windows for PC was a typo, and I meant Kindle for PC.

Kindle for PC/Mac/iPhone, etc. all have a separate registration from the physical Kindle device, and is how people without actual Kindles can go and buy/read Kindle books. As long as it's registered to the same Amazon account as your Kindle, you can buy books for the PC version, then go into the Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon, and select Transfer via Computer.

This will let you download a file encoded for your physical Kindle, which you can put on it via USB, all without having to go through Whispernet, if you are worried about being caught through the wireless delivery.

Alternatively, you could always set up and maintain a completely separate "US-based" Amazon account for purchases only and strip the DRM from them as they come in to the Kindle for PC app, and then register your Kindle DX to an address in a neighbouring country which is officially supported, so you have worry-free use of the Whispernet for web browsing and such while still being able to buy and read books from the Kindle store.

And if one day Amazon officially supports the Kindle in Turkey, then you can magically "move" to your real address with all your purchases intact.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
Dadelius

ATDrake, thanx so much for your detailed help. My friend in US registered it for me via whispernet. He says my name appears on it. I like that

Again, thanks so much. I think I will download ebooks via my PC and then drag it to my DX if I need.

Best Regards