Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
etak
etak began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
uk resident purchased Sony Reader in US. need help please

Hi
I purchaced a Reader in the US yesterday and already im having problems,
i need information about the following,
1. How do a claim my 100 classic books if i'm not a US resident and don't have a US credit card?
2. I've tried to buy a couple of books from the waterstones web site, and was unable to download Adobe digital images, i just get an error message.
Any suggestions or advise would be most welcome
Thanks
etak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by etak View Post
1. How do a claim my 100 classic books if i'm not a US resident and don't have a US credit card?
You can't. Didn't you see "this offer is only available for US customers" note?
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by etak View Post
Hi
I purchaced an eReader in the US yesterday

<snip>

2. I've tried to buy a couple of books from the waterstones web site, and was unable to download Adobe digital images, i just get an error message.
Any suggestions or advise would be most welcome
Thanks
Do you mean you can't download Adobe Digital Editions software or when you download the eBook and try to open the file you get an error?

On my "My Account" screen on the Waterstones site I have a link to download the Adobe Digital Editions software which they say is needed before downloading any eBooks.

What error are you getting?
What browser are you using?
What's your operating system (Windows, Mac OS X, etc)?

I'm new to all this myself but as far as I'm aware there's no "region protection" on eBooks themselves.

Also, if you can't get hold of the classics from Sony you'll probably be able to download them all from sites you can find on these forums for free, as long as you have the patience!

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Slightly sneaky/illegal but you might try just pretending that you live in the US to claim the free ebooks. You don't need a US credit card to take up this offer.

It's a bit irrelevant because all the books are in the public domain anyway so you can get them from Gutenberg or Manybooks for free.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
You can't. Didn't you see "this offer is only available for US customers" note?
I also bought my Reader in the US and have had no issue claiming my 100 free classics. All you need to do is create an account for the store which you don't even need to specify an address on - just an email then as soon as you connect up the reader and authorize it in the Connect Store (having logged in to your account) they will credit the voucher to your balance.

Last edited by richyhu; 09-10-2008 at 06:59 AM.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Same here. If you tick the box claiming to be in the USA, then ignore the page asking for your credit card details, you can go ahead and order the Sony classics. They will go into your shopping cart and, when you go to the online checkout, there will be a fee of $0.00. Then you can download the books.

The Sony classics are automatic conversions, often without a table of contents, and with typos. I was disappointed at their quality and didn't bother to download many. Take a look at our book upload section. Many of the classics are there and the quality is often very high. (Go to the blue bar towards the top of this page and click on 'Ebooks'.

About the Adobe Digital Editions: have you got the latest Sony updates?
You need to download and install the Adobe DE software (there's a link on the Sony Reader upgrade page).

Welcome to the forum, by the way, etak.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
etak
etak began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
thanks for the help

in answer to Terry's question, i'm using internet explorer, windows XP and I get the following error message from Adobe

E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED http://adeactivate.adobe.com/adept/Activate

Patricia, can you let me have the link to the sony updates page,

many thanks for everyones help
etak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's a few suggestions on that error.
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5425d
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You need to make sure that you have downloaded and installed Adobe Digital Edititions. Then you need to start the ADE software and register with Adobe DE (e-mail address, a password etc). It looks as though you haven't completed the process.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
tecnobird
tecnobird began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader PRs 505
Help U.S reader, I can't download the books

I also purchased a Reader in the States in June and was unable to download books from the States due to not having an American Credit card.

So I waited until they were over here, have successfully downloaded the books from Waterstones into the adobe reader library on my laptop but I cannot get them onto my reader

I am running a VAiO laptop and have had Vista removed from it last year.

Can anyone help me I am so frustrated!!
tecnobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnobird View Post
So I waited until they were over here, have successfully downloaded the books from Waterstones into the adobe reader library on my laptop but I cannot get them onto my reader
Ok, you need Adobe Digital Editions... not Adobe reader.

You also need to upgrade the firmware on your Sony to the newest version. Running the Sony eLibrary software, upgrading the software, then upgrading the Sony reader is the easiest way to do this.

If you have done the above you will need to be more specific as to what exactly you are having a problem with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:24 AM   #12
tecnobird
tecnobird began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader PRs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, you need Adobe Digital Editions... not Adobe reader.

You also need to upgrade the firmware on your Sony to the newest version. Running the Sony eLibrary software, upgrading the software, then upgrading the Sony reader is the easiest way to do this.

If you have done the above you will need to be more specific as to what exactly you are having a problem with.

BOb

Thanks Bob

Sorry I do have adobe digital editions have tried to do the firmware upgrade but will try again I will come back and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Tecnobird
tecnobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
martinbradford
martinbradford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnobird View Post
I also purchased a Reader in the States in June and was unable to download books from the States due to not having an American Credit card.

I am running a VAiO laptop and have had Vista removed from it last year.

Can anyone help me I am so frustrated!!
Has anyone actually tried purchasing with a non-US credit card yet? I have certainly successfully purchased books from other theoretically US-only sites with my UK credit card. They only seemed to actually check the address and I got a valid one from Google Earth...

Martin
martinbradford is offline   Reply With Quote