Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question Will 2bits's 2013 tip on "Stop the Flash to Black" help my Forma?

In 2013, a user named 2bits wrote a post on "The Ultimate Kobo Tips & Tricks Thread" called " Stop the FLASH to BLACK"
Does this advice apply to my Forma, a device created five years later? Or can I just ignore that advice?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That flag might still exist in the config, but it has probably changed names a bunch of times since.

Also, not all black flashes are created equal. The Forma's have almost nothing in common with whatever was current at the time (especially if the OP had experience with an Aura, because that one was an odd duck).

EDIT: Well, whaddayaknow, still there, same name, same section.

My vote is you should still pretty much ignore it. Especially on a Forma/Clara. The tech has evolved, it's much better at handling the very specific workflow of updating black on white text as fast as possible with as few artefacts as possible.

But, then again, black flash or no black flash (and/or how often) is another holy war waiting to brew .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
In 2013, a user named 2bits wrote a post on "The Ultimate Kobo Tips & Tricks Thread" called " Stop the FLASH to BLACK"
Does this advice apply to my Forma, a device created five years later? Or can I just ignore that advice?
I'm going to go back to my original advice to you: Play with the device.

The config file option referred to in that post is still there and is pretty much the same. Following those instructions will work. But, what the post doesn't really mention is that it is tied to an option in the settings. Changing that option changes the value. And over time, the values presented in the UI have changed. For the Forma, selecting chapter refresh is probably the best. And is probably the right thing for most of the devices. I think my Touch is the only one I wouldn't use it for.

And no, I'm not saying where the option is in the settings. It isn't hard to find, and you might learn something else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote