Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
How to delete entries for deleted sideloaded books?

I just removed a bunch of sideloaded books from my Kobo by deleting the files from the Kobo via my computer, and it turns out that the books are still displayed in my library on the Kobo, as if they were still there.
However I can't open them: when I try I get an error that says that something is wrong with the DRMs, which is bullshit as the books I removed didn't have any DRMs... I guess it is because the file wasn't found.

How do I get rid of the entries inside the Kobo? I have an up-to-date Kobo Clara HD, and rebooting doesn't help.
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Deleting the file from the device should work. The device will normally check for missing, added or changed books when you disconnect the device. If the books file is missing, it should remove most traces of the book from the internal database. And that should remove it from the lists. I do this frequently enough that I'm confident that it works this way.

The error message is misleading, but, sort of understandable. Kobo uses the Adobe RMSDK for reading epubs and PDFs. If it fails opening a book because it is missing, the error returned might be being misinterpreted, or the RMSDK might be returning the wrong error.

The only reason I can think of for this to happen is a corrupt database on the device. You can check this with a SQLite database manager. Or, if you use calibre, my Kobo Utilities plugin has a database check function. And, calibre can report errors when it connect to the device depending on exactly where the problems are in the database. If the database is corrupt, the device can sometimes recover, but unless you have a recent backup, you will need to sign out of your Kobo account on the device, and sign back in. Unfortunately, this will lose the reading status of all sideloaded books, but it will rebuild the database from scratch with the books currently on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote