Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
j.l.
j.l. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Bricked my Kobo Touch

Hey,

I recently purchased a Kobo Touch (N905-KBO-B) and tried to sideload Mark 3 Firmware because I wanted to get KSM. In retrospect a bad idea as it got stuck on the "Restarting..." screen and hasn't changed even though I've flashed the internal micro SD card with a new image.

My computer recognises the device and I can upload books and even use Kobo Desktop but it's still stuck on that "Restarting..." screen. I've seen not even a flash of the screen since it was stuck the first time. I've done a million resets.

Give me the news: It's done isn't it.

Thanks guys for your help,
Jesse.
j.l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:09 AM   #2
j.l.

Ok I made some progress.
I flash it with an Android image and it works now running Android.
I'm not sure why the stock image I have isn't working. I think it has something to do with the way the sd card is being formatted.
I'm using windows and before I bricked it there was one fat32 drive visible and two other drives that were visible in the file manager but werent accessible. When I flash the sd card with the stock image it only the fat32 drive was visible.
This Linux image seems to have the same formatting as the factory device.
If anyone has any ideas on how to get the stock image working let me know.
Otherwise I'm happy using Android I suppose.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The image should contain the three partitions plus the appropriate boot sectors. Windows cannot mount removable devices with multiple partitions properly, and always complains. But, the image writing tools will work correctly.

Did anything happen when you tried to start it? Did the power LED come on? Flash or change colour? If the LED did anything, then you can try doing a factory reset with the buttons. Alternatively, you might have an N905C Touch instead of the N905B. The image I sent wouldn't work with that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
j.l.

Hey davidfor,

So when I flash the SD card with the img file you sent me the LED flashes green perhaps 5 times then turned off.
I can then connect it to a computer and access the one fat32 partition with the .kobo folder as if the device is on and working but the display doesn't change from the last time I had the working android image running.

I've tried factory reset with the white flashing light many times to no avail.

I've even tried moving a Mark3 and a KSM KoboRoot.rar into the .kobo folder: Green flashing light for a while then nothing. Then a blue flashing light when I try trying it on.

Curious enough this is the android image that worked with my device:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=244000

The box the device came in says N905B-KBO-B so if the device came in the wrong box it may be a N905C. Not sure how likely.
All I want is to be able to use KSM for I don't care for the speed or stability of Android on this device.

Thanks for looking into this for me.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Isn't there a label at one end of the device that lists model#, serial#, MAC address?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
j.l.

Dare I try another sd card?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #7
j.l.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Isn't there a label at one end of the device that lists model#, serial#, MAC address?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I shall check.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
j.l.

YOU'RE RIGHT!
It's a NB905C.
wow what a ride.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
j.l.

Thank you so much both of you!

davidfor I sent you a PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.

And as I commented, I think the "B" in "N905-KBO-B" means "Black".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote