Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
Sergi
Sergi began at the beginning.

Device: none
290kb limitation in Sony readers

Sony readers have a limitation in the files it can include. They must not be bigger than 290kb. Does anyone know if this limitation is going to disappear?

Thank you very much!!
Sergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
Sony readers have a limitation in the files it can include. They must not be bigger than 290kb. Does anyone know if this limitation is going to disappear?

Thank you very much!!
Where do you get that figure? That would rule out most eBooks.

EDIT: Ah, I think you're referring to chapter size within ePub files?

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-23-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
All mine are bigger than that. Are you referring to the limit of the files sizes in the epub container? The epub file is a file containing several others, and the story file has a limit similar to that you refer to, when reached the story is split in to sub files within the epub container. If you load one in to Winzip or similar you will see what I mean
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a limit on what's called the "flow size" - the size of an individual file within the ePub container. Only the older Sony readers (PRS-300, 500, 505, 600, and 700) have this limit; the newer models (and all other reading devices that use ADE) use a more recent version of ADE that doesn't impose a flow size limit (or, if they do, it's much larger).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Sergi

Yes, I was referring to the files in the epub container.

Thank you so much for your time and for your help!!
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
Yes, I was referring to the files in the epub container.

Thank you so much for your time and for your help!!
It still has a limit on the 650. I have a few books, which don't contain chapters and thus I don't split the text. I get a page error when I try to open those in epub format.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It still has a limit on the 650. I have a few books, which don't contain chapters and thus I don't split the text. I get a page error when I try to open those in epub format.
I stand corrected. That's rather odd; I would have imagined that Sony would have used the updated ADE implementations that other reader manufacturers are now using.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
If those books are non-DRM, you can use calibre to convert them to an ePub which splits the files into the proper limits.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If those books are non-DRM, you can use calibre to convert them to an ePub which splits the files into the proper limits.
What part of the "I don't split the text" did you miss? Those epubs are made by me. But I never use them, except as source. I don't like the epub implementation on any of my readers.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
What part of the "I don't split the text" did you miss? Those epubs are made by me. But I never use them, except as source. I don't like the epub implementation on any of my readers.
No need to get nasty. They were trying to help you and probably misunderstood what you meant by "don't split the text". Certainly I don't think any of us took it to mean a matter of principal. Since 290kb represent an awful lot of text, most of would expect them to contain either chapters or some other division that could be considered analogous.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
No need to get nasty. They were trying to help you and probably misunderstood what you meant by "don't split the text". Certainly I don't think any of us took it to mean a matter of principal. Since 290kb represent an awful lot of text, most of would expect them to contain either chapters or some other division that could be considered analogous.

--
Bill
I do split on chapters and other book parts. But this book only has three parts: map, text and family tree. There are no chapters at all (not even the paperbook has chapters). So, the main text is 1.4Mb large. And it's only the sony that has a problem with it...
Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
And it's only the sony that has a problem with it...
Why, Sony? Oh, why?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I thought it was a limitation of Adobe Mobile Edition and not particular to any specific reader. Is there any ebook reader using the Adobe engine that does not have this limitation?

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Sergi

Is incredible this limitation. In this days, when you explain to someone that there's a limitation of 300kb in a new device, it's like if you were talking of something of the past.

I can understand the 300k as a recommendation, not as obligation. They can recommend no to use big files for performance questions.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
I thought it was a limitation of Adobe Mobile Edition and not particular to any specific reader. Is there any ebook reader using the Adobe engine that does not have this limitation?

Etienne66
My BBMini can read that same book without problem and so can my ProMedia.

Tags
sony limitation