Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Must have been a tough day at work. Go light a candle, take a nice relaxing bubble bath... and read an e-boo... I mean... just float there and soak in the scent/bubbles.
With all due respect--and I mean that--you would never, never have said that when everyone here still thought I was a guy. So, let's not get confused about who I am--right?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #47
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Thanks so very, very much, everyone, for all your replies (not to mention all your help and great advisement all along)! I'm deep, deep in thought at the moment -- I got my ISBN number just yesterday, and much to my great surprise I got my CIP data today. Only thing holding me back is waiting for my application with Apple to go through (already in the works) and... well, REALLY making sure that I'm REALLY happy with my ebook, of course.

And that's the hard part! I'm thinking... really, really thinking. I'll get back to y'all with a better response (on your other replies) tomorrow or something, but in the meantime I just wanted to say thanks, so much, once again!

Back to my thinking cap (and what's going on underneath it)...
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #48
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
With all due respect--and I mean that--you would never, never have said that when everyone here still thought I was a guy. So, let's not get confused about who I am--right?
Well, I must admit I was tempted to write "open a bottle of wine", "drink some bourbon", "lay on the couch", "get a massage", "by the pool/beach", (other relaxing things you can do while reading a book). I just happened to pick candle + bath.

You are the only one I know of that runs an ebook conversion company. If JSWolf, mrmikel, Jellby did, I would have have cracked the same "e-boo..." joke if they were ranting after a long day of complaints about e-books from clients.

I meant zero offense.

Side Note: Did you receive my PM I sent last night? I was wondering if I could get your input on some ideas I had.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-31-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #49
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I must admit I was tempted to write "open a bottle of wine", "drink some bourbon", "lay on the couch", "get a massage", "by the pool/beach", (other relaxing things you can do while reading a book). I just happened to pick candle + bath.

You are the only one I know of that runs an ebook conversion company. If JSWolf, mrmikel, Jellby did, I would have have cracked the same "e-boo..." joke if they were ranting after a long day of complaints about e-books from clients.

I meant zero offense.

Side Note: Did you receive my PM I sent last night? I was wondering if I could get your input on some ideas I had.
Just reminding everyone that I'm not prone to fits of girlish whatever. We definitely all don't want to go there.

Yes, I have the PM. It's not really short, so I'm giving it the attention it deserves. Wait--I really meant that. Not dismissively. It requires thought, so...I'm thinking about it. And I thought it might be helpful to you if I discussed it with the crews, too, as they have more hands-on all day than I. I know the answers, but...they might have further input that would be more helpful than my blithe, "oh, yeah, we do this THAT way..." kind of thing.

Hitch
Old 11-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Hitch
Actually, what I would have said was to kick back and enjoy watching the Red Sox win the World Series. That's something that's gender neutral and fun to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #51
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, what I would have said was to kick back and enjoy watching the Red Sox win the World Series. That's something that's gender neutral and fun to do.
...and, humorously enough, even though I'm not a baseball fan, normally (I'm addicted to F1 and Endurance and sportscar racing, like Le Mans--I actually close Booknook each year for the 24 Heures du Mans, so I can watch it live), I did indeed kick back and watch that game. Quite enjoyable, really. Even made some popcorn, in honor of the occasion. ;-)

P.S.: Oh, Toxaris, about that driver Championship.....

Hitch
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #52
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
P.S.: Oh, Toxaris, about that driver Championship.....

Hitch
Don't get me started...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #53
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Don't get me started...
MWAHAHAHAHAH. I'm naturally too gracious a person to EVER say "I told you so," so, of course, I won't say it.

And how do you think Ferdo feels about the Kimster? Goptta admit, I was really surprised.

(to the mods: yes, I know. I've been bad and hijacked the thread.)

Hitch
Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Hitch
But, given that the OP won't listen to good advice, the thread is dead anyway, so go ahead and have some fun.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #55
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
MWAHAHAHAHAH. I'm naturally too gracious a person to EVER say "I told you so," so, of course, I won't say it.

And how do you think Ferdo feels about the Kimster? Goptta admit, I was really surprised.

Hitch
At least we're back to a saner time for us in North America to watch the race this weekend
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #56
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
PDFs can not be included within a epub file and work. Not on most readers anyway. You would have to have it as a separate file. You would have to be careful of your storage location, so your link to it from within the epub would work.
Interestingly, my application with Apple went through yesterday, and so off I went to download their software and manuals. They also give out examples of a reflowable epub (to show the various things you can do with it) and a fixed-layout one. In the former, they actually state that you can embed PDFs right within your epub file, and give an example...

...but I gather that that's iBooks specific, and, as you stated, probably wouldn't work on other platforms?

Quote:
Most of us have pounded away for quite a while on epubs. Your approach is fine for a one off if you don't really care if it survives the endless and inevitable hardware changes at Apple and elsewhere.
I really just don't know what I'm going to do in the long run -- not yet, anyway. For the time being, I'm just happy -- if not elated -- to get my ebook out as it is, even with all its "faults", and even just on iBooks and nowhere else. Once that's up, and then for the time being over and done with, I have another project I want to work on which will be much more "normal" -- no funny business involved in creating it, it should be really quite straightforward.

I was going to use that project to try to get it out there beyond just iBooks, and learn whatever quirks and idiosyncrasies of Kindle, etc. -- and once I've got that under my belt, and a little more experience, then maybe I'll go back and try to come up with a "second edition" of my first book.

I have no idea how, or what I'll path I'll take -- maybe I'll find another font, which may not look as good as my current one, but at least it'll work cross-platform, or maybe I'll just do those "olde" page up simply as graphics. I just don't know -- yet -- but I'll figure something out eventually, and in the meantime I'm happy that my book at least works on iBooks, and if only on that platform, and even if only for some unspecified brief moment in time (until they change things over there and it doesn't work anymore), it was "out there" in the way that I'd always wanted it to be.

Quote:
As I understand it, everyone is showing their concern based on the very bitter fact that if you do things I we understand you to be doing, you will end up having to do it all over from scratch. Most of us when we are done with a book are good and done with it for quite a while and could recite the book almost from memory for reading it over and over and over again for errors, obliterating most of the enjoying of it reading it in the first place. If any reader of your book finds an error, it may take you an inordinate amount of time to fix it. That is the concern.
Yeah, I appreciate that -- I appreciate the sentiment of "getting it right" and being done with it, and also appreciate all the help everyone has given me! Thanks to you, and to everyone else!

Quote:
Harry, a very meticulous fella, posts beautiful epubs on here. But even he is on 4th or 5th revisions of the same book.
Um, who's Harry? And where could I find his books? I'd certainly be curious to take a look at some "beautiful" epubs.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #57
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Ahhh, I see. I was thinking ligatures -> images -> shrink/expand along with the digital text. Sort of like what I recommended in post #16 in this topic (that topic also brings up using SVG for the same purpose):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222825
That was an interesting thread, actually! I'm not quite sure what you meant here, though, by "ligatures -> images -> shrink/expand along with the digital text"?

Quote:
If you are going entire pages as images, then I would recommend regenerating those images of the pages at much higher resolution, so that they are actually readable.
Oh, of course I'm actually also re-doing that original PDF, too, of that "olde" text and fancying that up a bit (and making some minor changes/corrections), and could easily create nice, big graphic versions from that once it's all done.

Quote:
I also try to more closely maintain the "spirit" of the original book.

Here is an example of a recent one I redid last month.

Image of Original PDF + Old EPUB + New EPUB:
Thanks for sharing those -- interesting to look at! You fixed them up nicely, too!

Cheers!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #58
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
By Harry we mean HarryT.

Take a look in the MobileRead ePub Library https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=130
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #59
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
By Harry we mean HarryT.

Take a look in the MobileRead ePub Library https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=130
Oh, thank you -- I most definitely will check it out (later today)!
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Interestingly, my application with Apple went through yesterday, and so off I went to download their software and manuals. They also give out examples of a reflowable epub (to show the various things you can do with it) and a fixed-layout one. In the former, they actually state that you can embed PDFs right within your epub file, and give an example...

...but I gather that that's iBooks specific, and, as you stated, probably wouldn't work on other platforms?
yes, embedding PDF is iBooks specific and won't work with ADE. So don't do it as you'll be even worse off in terms of being in bed with Apple.

Besides, if you ignore our advice a second time, we'll just not bother trying to help.