Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #16
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I only have one Amazon account, it which was set up on Amazon.co.uk, I have two addresses linked to that account, one UK and one US, and I log in with a UK email address

When I log into either Amazon sites its using my UK Amazon email address. I have no idea how its all working 'officially', all I know is its working for me.

When I want to buy from the US store I always change my address on the UK 'Manage Your Kindle page', then I select the link which takes me to the US store. Coming back to the UK I add my UK address on the US 'Manage Your Kindle' page, then I select the link which takes me to the US store.

What this makes me a resident off I have no idea
I live in the Netherlands and I used to change my adress back and fort also. It worked for buying books, free books and Shuffle Row. But since last week fun is over: as soon as I've changed my adress to US/UK and order something; I get the message my order is not available for my region/country. It's not as I want to cheat Amazon; I just want to buy some books with real money (Visa-money that is). Very disappointing.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
But since last week fun is over: as soon as I've changed my adress to US/UK and order something; I get the message my order is not available for my region/country. It's not as I want to cheat Amazon; I just want to buy some books with real money (Visa-money that is). Very disappointing
Everytime I do it (and its only been three times so far) I get nervous it won't work and end up spending a fortune on books as I never know if its going to work again
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #18
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Everytime I do it (and its only been three times so far) I get nervous it won't work and end up spending a fortune on books as I never know if its going to work again
Well; that's the only positive thing about it; I don't have to be nervous any more.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Josie, this is the explanation.
A UK address gives a Kindle a choice that isn't available to any other country. A UK user can shop either via Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com ...

But when you go onto either website (Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk) and put in a US Address as your Kindle address you no longer have a choice. US Addresses have to shop via Amazon.com for Kindle books.

So when you go to your Amazon.co.uk website and change that address to a US location, it will automatically send you over to the Amazon.com website - because US Kindle users aren't allowed to buy Kindle books via Amazon.co.uk.

Quote:
Hmm, the rest of us will just have to lie , I guess.

what's the zip code for Pres. Obama c/o. the whitehouse ;-)
I saw somebody post the other day that Amazon no longer allows 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue as a Kindle Address. I haven't actually tried it though. I guess maybe Jeff Bezos decided the Obama family probably didn't need more than the couple of thousand of Kindles they probably already had registered to their home.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Hi abookreader, thanks very much for the explanation. Hopefully that clears it up for other people as well.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
SamJBuss
SamJBuss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi! I'm getting my Kindle Paperwhite tomorrow for Xmas and I am wondering how to buy books from the .com site. I live in the uk and have purchased my kindle from Curry's, will I be able to get the books I want from the .com site?
SamJBuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
kennie
kennie can extract oil from cheesekennie can extract oil from cheesekennie can extract oil from cheesekennie can extract oil from cheesekennie can extract oil from cheesekennie can extract oil from cheesekennie can extract oil from cheesekennie can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
I just did it this week but it's kind of expensive. I live in US and have wanted several UK books for quite a while. So, I opened a new UK account with a UK address (yes, I used a valid address of someone I didn't even know-- you may find that unpleasant, but since i was only planning to buy some kindle books I decided to do it anyways). Then, I had to buy an IP address changer. I found one that had a three month membership for 17.95 and bought it and installed it on Firefox since I use the U.S. Amazon account on Chrome usually. Then, the last step. . . from my US account, I signed into the UK Amazon and bought UK Amazon gift card for the amount I needed for my books and chose the printable option so I'd get the number as soon as possible. Then, with the number of my gift card, I signed into Amazon UK and went to my account and added the gift card to my account (Amazon UK will NOT let you buy ebooks with a US credit card). After I had the gift card into my account, I bought all my books.

Oh-- big deal here. I needed to DEREGISTER my Kindle for PC (I didn't want to do this with my real kindle) on my US account and uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled it with my Amazon UK account. If you don't have kindle for pc, install it from the new UK Amazon account-- you need a kindle option to have amazon download to.

So, then, after I downloaded my five books, I found them in "MY KINDLE CONTENT" and changed them from Amazon format to epub with calibre. THen from epub to mobi. And then I installed them to my kindle with the usb cord. Yes, the drm issue will be an issue so you still have to figure out a way around that. I am new here and don't know the forum rules about htis, so I'll remain silent on this subject-- if you have had to do this before, you'll have to do it now, too.

Now they are in my kindle drm free. Honestly, I'm not sure I had to do the format change from amazon format to epub to mobi, but i did anyways. It may have worked fine with the drm removed and just put into my kindle in the original format.
kennie is offline   Reply With Quote