Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
wolfing
wolfing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
[Old Thread] Calibre for music?

What's the closest thing to Calibre for music? I mean, something that handles my music library in different formats, playlists, downloads meta info from external places, etc. and is completely platform agnostic? (don't even want to try iTunes as it's probably very iPod oriented)
wolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I agree about iTunes. Many people say they have no trouble with it but I read where it goes wonky for some. Apple products tend to be too restrictive.

The one I'm using now isn't as flexible as calibre and will die after Win7 (the developer retired) so I've been looking around for a replacement. On that looks attractive is Media Monkey. There was a survey on another site that asked what media software people used and media Monkey rated very high. I hyaven't tried it yet since I still have too many irons in the fire right now but it looks promising.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
clanelliott
Enthusiast
clanelliott doesn't litterclanelliott doesn't litter

Device: iriver story
foobar2000 is what i use
clanelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Foobar2000 was also popular on the survey.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
(don't even want to try iTunes as it's probably very iPod oriented)
It's not. You don't have to have any iDevices to use iTunes. I use it a stand-alone music library program.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
It's not. You don't have to have any iDevices to use iTunes. I use it a stand-alone music library program.
It's true it can be used on any machine or device but it does have a reputation for being tempermental and not all that user friendly. Most people use it without problems but I've seen enough complaints, including a loss of all music, to be leery of it.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
AnnieWalker
AnnieWalker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi
First of all, calibre is an amazing software. Thank you very much.

I'm a classical music enthusiast at the same time with more than five-thousand records and iTunes is a disaster in terms of classical music collection organization and management. I sometimes dream a calibre-like software before I go to sleep at nights...that I can tag a cd with more than 1 genre, a heavenly offspring of tag&rename, iTunes, amazon & allmusic cd databases and winamp...
AnnieWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieWalker View Post
First of all, calibre is an amazing software. Thank you very much.

I'm a classical music enthusiast at the same time with more than five-thousand records and iTunes is a disaster in terms of classical music collection organization and management. I sometimes dream a calibre-like software before I go to sleep at nights...that I can tag a cd with more than 1 genre, a heavenly offspring of tag&rename, iTunes, amazon & allmusic cd databases and winamp...
Have you tried MediaMonkey? I'm not sure how it will be for classical music, but I can put songs into multiple genres and display them that way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

X2 on Media Monkey. It works great with all genres, including Classical.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
MediaMonkey is a great tool for organising classical music collections. It provides access to tags for composer, conductor, artists (both album- and track-specific) and track names (i.e. movements). It also allows you to process tags individually or in batches using the keyboard (which is a big time saver if you're tagging large libraries).
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
AnnieWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Have you tried MediaMonkey?
Thank you but I've tried it. I believe I've tried all the software available in the past years. I still try most of them from time to time to see if their new versions fullfill our expectations but all of them has major drawbacks in one way or another. MM should be more than sufficient for the casual classical music listener but doesn't meet my demands...and I know quite a lot of people like me...

I appreciate anyway
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

How doesn't MM meet your demands? I don't consider myself to be a casual listener (I'm pretty darned particular) so I'm baffled by your statement.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I am interested to read too. May be you can suggest a program I didn’t aware about.

I have a huge database with every kind of music and try out over the years a lot of programs and came back all the time to MM.

I didn't found any other program so fare what had a similar flexible handling for the different metadata sets in all kind of music content, equal if it is classic, music, audio books, podcast and since version 4 video content as well.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
I am interested to read too.
+1 So am I...
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
AnnieWalker

So you want me make an empirical case on why MediaMonkey won't fulfill my classical music organizing and managing expectations? )

Tags
music library