Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
SavinaRoja
OpenAccess_EPUB Dev.
SavinaRoja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How widely supported is EPUB3?

I am developing a program that produces EPUB2 content. I would like to move to EPUB3 but am concerned about accessibility. Which readings systems fail to provide support for EPUB3?
SavinaRoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
I don't think any really support EPUB3 at this point. Seeing as the spec was just finalized recently, it might be a while before we see widespread support. Unfortunately many older devices might never see EPUB3 support due to hardware limitations, and the inevitability of manufacturers not adding support in older devices to make you upgrade to the new shiny.

I also don't see many publishers upgrading to EPUB3 until there are enough devices supporting it to justify the cost of adding a new format, unless there's a way to make EPUB3 books fall back to EPUB2 on older devices.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavinaRoja View Post
I am developing a program that produces EPUB2 content. I would like to move to EPUB3 but am concerned about accessibility. Which readings systems fail to provide support for EPUB3?
None of them with the exception of
AZARDI, iBooks have partial support.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
SavinaRoja
OpenAccess_EPUB Dev.

That is disappointing news. EPUB3 looks much cleaner and easier to work with. I guess I'll adopt mixed tactics and provide support both.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavinaRoja View Post
That is disappointing news. EPUB3 looks much cleaner and easier to work with. I guess I'll adopt mixed tactics and provide support both.
Actually it is not. There are no free tools yet that do ePub 3 and even most commercial tools won't do it. Therefore it becomes a roll your own. Just out of curiosity why do you think it will be easier to work with? Or even cleaner?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want to code ePub3, just remember, it won't sell. Nobody yet supports it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
SavinaRoja
OpenAccess_EPUB Dev.

Selling is not so much a concern, my "product" is free and open. I am much more concerned that it can be used by both the blind and by average reading systems.