Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Strange Screen Issue!

I was using my Kobo Glo on New Years Day morning and it was fine. But when I opened the cover before bed to start reading there were these lines in the top left corner! Odd that they run both horizontal and vertical. It is always secure in a cover, and I have not dropped it or had any other physical problems. In fact, strangely the difference occurred from day to night without the kobo even moving off the table! I am puzzled to say the least.

I have begun the return process with Kobo (which from the boards I know is going to be a crazy lengthy frustrating event) but just wondered if anyone had experienced this before? Any ideas why this happened?

I am worried it will happen again with my next Kobo too! Hoping this is just a strange fluke occurrence!

I guess until this is sorted out I am back to lugging a paper book around which is going to be heavy since I am currently reading the fourth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series and they arent small books! haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	98696   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	98697  
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Cracked screen. If you look closely you can see the crack.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Cracked screen. If you look closely you can see the crack.
You're right -- I didn't see it at first, but in the 2nd pic you can see it going diagonally down from the top to the angle.
As for what caused it: do you carry your Kobo in briefcase/purse/backpack? Most likely cause is stress from twisting of the screen which a cover may help, but likely isn't sturdy enough to prevent twisting. Do a search on cracked substrate and you'll get all the details I am to lazy to retype right now.

By the way - enjoy the book! IIRC the 4th wasn't one of the strongest in the series, but it's still pretty good.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
By the way - enjoy the book! IIRC the 4th wasn't one of the strongest in the series, but it's still pretty good.
Despite being the shortest book besides the first one, it is taking me far longer to finish than the previous 3. Really not liking how the characters were split into book 4 and 5. Not a big fan of some of the newer characters either. But you're right, still good.

Anyway, back on topic, I wonder if Kobo will go ahead with the exchange if they discover the crack. Hopefully they don't give you any further grief because of it.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Unfortunately a cracked substrate is NOT covered by warranty so it's hard to say. My first thought on initially looking at the picture was that it was a controller issues (since all the lines appeared straight and right angle), so you might get lucky.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
This is distressing to me, because I have no idea how this would get cracked since it basically lives on my bedside table and I generally only read in bed. I honestly did no physical damage to it that I can recall (dropped it, twisted it, etc) to cause a crack unless it was damaged when I got it and slowly worsened over time. The change happened during one day while it sat untouched on my table, secure in its cover. I really hope it is what you said about the controller, I don't have $150 to spend every three months on a new reader!

What a crummy way to start the new year!

Thanks for your imput everyone, I appreciate the help. Still wating for a response from Kobo beyond the standard "factory reset stuff. Crossing my fingers!
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
It's possible that there was a crack or chip in the edge of
the screen, maybe under the bezel, maybe even at the time
of manufacture which has propagated due to the stress of
heating and cooling during to use.

That might also explain why you don't see the screen issues
at all times.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
People have indicated they thought a pet may have jumped on their reader. On a bedside table it's also quite possible to whack it in your sleep or just squeeze it too hard if you have a restless night or dream of Kobo programmers chasing you while trying to upgrade your firmware against your will... Nooooooo, not new bugs!

Good luck getting the issue resolved, it could very easily be a manufacturing issue where undo stress was applied at some point in the manufacturing or assembly processes and manifested itself later. I believe there were a number of these issues with the last new e-ink screens when they first debuted(Touch & Kindles), could be again as the screens in the Glo are fairly new to market and the Glo has not been out all that long. Hopefully Kobo can afford to take a hit for a customer every now and then since proving it one way or the other would seem impossible.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote