Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I found this bit of the release interesting:

Quote:
In addition, the company expects to begin selling titles through retailers that sell only DRM-free books.
I suspect that this might be code for TOR ebooks becoming available through http://www.baenebooks.com/ (was webscriptions.net)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
One possible downside for folks could be that Amazon decides to sell the EPub versions at a lower price and draws people from other e-readers to Amazon's store due to lower pricing.
With no Adobe Tax on the ebooks, it wouldn't be too hard for Amazon to do just that. But as long as Tor remains in the price fix domain there won't be any way for Amazon to sell the books at a discount and thus no reason to sell epub.

There's less to this news than meets the eye.

To Alf acolytes, $13 DRM-free is no improvement over $13 DRM-encumbered.
Especially with BAEN still running at $6. And DRM-free.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Amazon and B&N don't label non-DRM'd books, and I don't think the iBookstore allows them at all.
I think with B&N that the sample DRM matches the full book DRM - either they both have it or neither.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I read that as "I borrowed paper editions from the library."
I didn't actually think of paper books given that this is a thread on DRM and eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #35
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
I wonder where they'd sell them that it's clear they're DRM-free. Will they put them through Webscriptions? Amazon and B&N don't label non-DRM'd books, and I don't think the iBookstore allows them at all.
From their website? Also, too, there's something coming called Bookish.com which is rumored to be a publisher effort at direct sales to consumers.

Last edited by stonetools; 04-24-2012 at 05:16 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
With no Adobe Tax on the ebooks, it wouldn't be too hard for Amazon to do just that. But as long as Tor remains in the price fix domain there won't be any way for Amazon to sell the books at a discount and thus no reason to sell epub.

But to others, it is a big deal. It means for one that they can shop at B&N even if they don't have a way to deal with B&N's flavor of DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #37
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Well, I'm not doing $13 for an ebook anyway (I'll just buy the hardcover). But I'll actually buy DRM-free ebooks, whereas I do my best not to buy DRM'd ebooks from B&N/Amazon/etc.

I'll put Tor on my "OK" list. Maybe they'll start selling on Smashwords, I like buying from them.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #38
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
$13 would be a no sale to me in the majority of cases whether it has DRM or not (I don't mind freeing a book if needed).

However, I'm still _very_ glad about this news because there are plenty of people for whom $13 is a perfectly fine price to pay and now they won't be locked into the store they decide to purchase from. We on this forum can provide detailed instructions as to how they could download the book from the store they've bought it and convert it to another format to work on an alternative device if they're buying another for whatever reason.

It won't change things for many especially those who already free their books, but it's an important move imo long term for everyone.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But to others, it is a big deal. It means for one that they can shop at B&N even if they don't have a way to deal with B&N's flavor of DRM.
But why bother?
If the price is still the same they might as well stick with Sony or Kobo or whatever Adobe client they already have.

It the epub is DRM free at B&N it will be DRM-free at the generic ADEPT shops and since the price fix isn't going away you get a difference that is no difference.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And that Nook users can shop at Amazon
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #41
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Kindle not required...........

I've brought this up before, but the only use - as far as Amazon goes at least - for DRM is to "make" more people think they have to buy a kindle to read the books..
Or , as mentioned before, annoy people.
Because as we know, it isn't to prevent piracy, as anyone can get hold of kindle books by installing K4PC, no need to lash out at all - and if you're a committed pirate, you'd do it from a computer anyway......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #42
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
I read that as "I borrowed paper editions from the library."
Yep. Audio books too for some of them. Nothing wrong with paper, I just don't have room to store it anymore for most cases.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I've brought this up before, but the only use - as far as Amazon goes at least - for DRM is to "make" more people think they have to buy a kindle to read the books..
Or , as mentioned before, annoy people.
Because as we know, it isn't to prevent piracy, as anyone can get hold of kindle books by installing K4PC, no need to lash out at all - and if you're a committed pirate, you'd do it from a computer anyway......
Indeed, DRM is a great idea for Amazon and Apple, since it locks customers into their ecosystems, but I'm not sure what the publishers think they're getting out of it. Creating your own worst enemy is an old cliche in fiction, a pity the publishers apparently never read any of their own wares.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #44
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I know that the people at Tor have been wanting to do this for years (going back to their aborted partnership with Webscriptions). I'm ecstatic to see it finally come to fruition.
I remember years ago reading a lot of TOR books. Just like ACE books. Maybe that was before the internet and Amazon.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #45
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
From their website? Also, too, there's something coming called Bookish.com which is rumored to be a publisher effort at direct sales to consumers.
Wow, the executives at those publishers that plan to direct sell to consumers must not realize how incredibly naive that is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Frankly, when people say, "Why don't publishers just open an ebook store to compete with Amazon, " they betray a kind of naivete about business.
First of all, division of labor. The skills it takes to be a major publishng house are mostly different from being a major retailer. Secondly, to compete with Amazon, you have to do what Amazon does: and that ain't easy and that ain't cheap .Among other things it involves mucho infastructure: servers, engineers, bandwidth, software, and techncal know how-some of which, like 1-click buying, is patented.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote