Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Steve Kaufmann
Steve Kaufmann began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello. Just got a Kindle for Christmas. I like to read foreign langauges.

I like languages, speak 10 of them. Got a Kindle for Christmas but want to use it for Russian, Portuguese and other languages. I want a dictionary and the ability to make notes and save words and phrases. Amy advice on what to do?
Steve Kaufmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Steve and welcome to MobileRead. Knowledgeable Kindle owners should log on soon with an answer. If not, try posting your question in the Kindle section
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaufmann View Post
I like languages, speak 10 of them. Got a Kindle for Christmas but want to use it for Russian, Portuguese and other languages. I want a dictionary and the ability to make notes and save words and phrases. Amy advice on what to do?
Hi Steve, welcome to MobileRead. In order to read books in other languages you are going to have to hack the Kindle with a font that will allow you to read them. Check out BlogKindle's Unicode Font Hack. You can only use one font at a time, so if you plan on jumping between say Russian and Chinese books, you'll have to re-hack the font.

The Kindle's keyboard will allow you make notes and you'll be able to highlight any words and phrases you want to save into a separate file called "My Clippings.txt". You an also pull up those note and highlights by clicking on "My Notes and Marks" on the menu.

On the dictionary, the Kindle can only use one dictionary at a time but you can have multiple dictionaries on the Kindle and swap them out easily with a menu command. If the dictionaries you need are not available in the Kindle store, look for any .mobi dictionary. You may have to strip the DRM on it for Kindle use but you may have a wider selection to choose from (try Mobipocket.com).

If you have any other questions just ask!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Steve.

www.feedbooks.com and

www.manybooks.net

both carry lots of books in different languages.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote