Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #46
Selzernium
Enthusiast
Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The input folder defaults to the "\My Documents\My Library" folder (the automatic download location for LIT books). Since what I generally want to do is explode a LIT which which I've bought, this is a sensible default.

I shall, however, try the other GUI, now that I know it exists, and see if I prefer it.
I personally prefer to use the "complete" GUI solely for the downcovert feature which the crippled GUI lacks...

Its MSreader/lit's equivalent of "mobi dedrm" only faster and more reliable! gives you a nice and clean lit file ready for lit2any* conversion processes without hassle.

*) Via calibre mobigen/creator BD etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
No, you shouldn't. I don't get why they call it "the most difficult to configure". You install it, click "authorize computer" when the setup ends, and then use it. That's it.

And it's the best format out there for your Reader since you can remove the DRM in under 10 seconds (with ConvertLIT). Even if the LIT format bothers you (for some unknown reason), when you remove the DRM, you can convert it to whatever format suits you better.

And don't trust everything retailers tell you.
QFT

EDIT : For some reason while typing I got logetout.... worse my post had a thumpsdown - header - icon I didn't use!!!

Last edited by Selzernium; 10-03-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Selzernium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #47
AngrySpoon
AngrySpoon began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Well, I don't know if they changed it back since the OP or what, but I'm in Canada and just bought Anathem off the sony ebook store without a problem.
AngrySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd prefer if the GUI for ConvertLIT just went away. The GUI will not help in any way to set up ConvertLIT. So you do need to know enough of the command like to setup ConvertLIT and from there, it's easier to use it from the command line then the GUI add-on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd prefer if the GUI for ConvertLIT just went away. The GUI will not help in any way to set up ConvertLIT. So you do need to know enough of the command like to setup ConvertLIT and from there, it's easier to use it from the command line then the GUI add-on.
It's not easier at all if, like me, you store your e-books deep down in a complex directory tree with lots of space in the folder names. I store my books in a structure like this:

e-Books\Author Name\Book Name

eg:

e-Books\Haggard, H. Rider\King Solomon's Mines

It's a heck of a lot easier to select that in a GUI than to type it on the command line, getting all the quotes in the right places.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not easier at all if, like me, you store your e-books deep down in a complex directory tree with lots of space in the folder names. I store my books in a structure like this:

e-Books\Author Name\Book Name

eg:

e-Books\Haggard, H. Rider\King Solomon's Mines

It's a heck of a lot easier to select that in a GUI than to type it on the command line, getting all the quotes in the right places.
Actually, with the command line, you can use command completion to get there very very easily.

Let's take the second example and say it is on drive D

D:
CD \e-b [tab] \ hag [tab] \king [tab] [enter]

and then you'll be at D:\e-Books\Haggard, H. Rider\King Solomon's Mines>

But if you do hit tab and the wrong directory pops up, hit tab again and it will move to the next match. Very easy and to me, easier then the gui to dig that deep. And as long as you have ConvertLIT in your path, you'll be all set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Command completion helps, I agree.

Use whichever you prefer. All I'm saying is please don't denigrate the GUI just because you don't personally use it. Other people such as myself (who are perfectly capable of using command-line tools if we wish to do so) prefer it.

Each to their own.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote