Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Calibre created AZW3 and Kindle Cloud

I've always read DRM free mobi and emailed them to Amazon to stay in the cloud as I have multiple devices but in order to use embeded fonts i've converted to azw3, is there a way to get these books into the Amazon Cloud?

I tried emailing one but I just got the standard 'your format is not acceptable' email?

I know I can side load via Calibre but I find the cloud very useful.

Thanks
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I haven't clue about calibre, but it can be done. I use Sigil to embed fonts and Kindle Previewer to re-compile them into mobi/KF8, then Send To Kindle app to put them into the cloud. The embedded fonts work well with this method. It does take more knowledge and time than using calibre though.
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I haven't clue about calibre, but it can be done. I use Sigil to embed fonts and Kindle Previewer to re-compile them into mobi/KF8, then Send To Kindle app to put them into the cloud. The embedded fonts work well with this method. It does take more knowledge and time than using calibre though.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't understand or know how to use Sigil or Kindle Previewer, I only just about understand the basics of Calibre so I guess I'll just have to email the mobi (for my other devices) and side load onto my Paperwhite, but thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Josie, have you asked the users in the Calibre sub-forum? Maybe someone there would be able to help you.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Josie, have you asked the users in the Calibre sub-forum? Maybe someone there would be able to help you.
Thanks Jersysman for the suggestion, no not yet, tbh I've had a bad news since i started this thread so it's not something I'm that bothered about right now. I'll pick it up again in a few weeks.
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've always read DRM free mobi and emailed them to Amazon to stay in the cloud as I have multiple devices but in order to use embeded fonts i've converted to azw3, is there a way to get these books into the Amazon Cloud?

I tried emailing one but I just got the standard 'your format is not acceptable' email?

I know I can side load via Calibre but I find the cloud very useful.

Thanks
Personal documents service will not accept '.azw3' (KF8 only) files. You need to send it 'hybrid' files (with both mobi and kf8). When the file is downloaded it will only contain mobi or kf8 (but not both) depending on what the app/device supports. (of course you can also send 'mobi only' but that does not support embedded fonts.)

To do this with calibre, make sure the MOBI Output options (Preferences) have 'MOBI file type' set to 'both', and export to MOBI (not AZW3). AZW3 is fine if you are side-loading files directly.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-15-2013 at 06:04 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Personal documents service will not accept '.azw3' (KF8 only) files. You need to send it 'hybrid' files (with both mobi and kf8). When the file is downloaded it will only contain mobi or kf8 (but not both) depending on what the app/device supports. (of course you can also send 'mobi only' but that does not support embedded fonts.)

To do this with calibre, make sure the MOBI Output options (Preferences) have 'MOBI file type' set to 'both', and export to MOBI (not AZW3). AZW3 is fine if you are side-loading files directly.
I find emailing a book crated with "both" shows no cover image when received on a Paperwhite/Paperwhite 2. The same book then downloaded from the cloud to Kindle for iPhone or iPad, shows the cover just fine.

If I create the book usding "old", the cover shows fine on PW/PW2.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Basically, according to my experience and understanding here goes :
azw3 : can embed fonts, shows covers on PW, cannot be emailed thus no whispersync
both: can embed fonts, does not show cover on PW, can be emailed, whispersync works
old: cannot embed fonts (not so sure about that, can anyone confirm?), shows covers on PW, can be emailed, whispersync works
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'd add to that that "old" also means none of the nice features you get with ePubs...
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Basically, according to my experience and understanding here goes :
azw3 : can embed fonts, shows covers on PW, cannot be emailed thus no whispersync
both: can embed fonts, does not show cover on PW, can be emailed, whispersync works
old: cannot embed fonts (not so sure about that, can anyone confirm?), shows covers on PW, can be emailed, whispersync works
You got it right but my problem is if I email a mobi hybrid it's always delivered as old mobi. I always hear about people getting it to work and I've yet to see it happen for me. I think Amazon forgot to do something on my account.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You got it right but my problem is if I email a mobi hybrid it's always delivered as old mobi. I always hear about people getting it to work and I've yet to see it happen for me. I think Amazon forgot to do something on my account.
There might be some problem with your conversion.

Try the KF8 Sample file:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511

If that works then it is not Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote