Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish777 View Post
I like Nook because it has a brightness setting built in. Instead of having to exit and go to Settings, Brightness, I can just hit the little Settings logo in the app, slide the slide while actually looking at a window of the page, so I can see how it will look, and then go back to reading. Very quick.
Stanza allows lighting adjustment that is even easier--just slide your finger up or down on the left side of the screen.

In iBooks just tap the light icon at the top of the page and adjust the slider. (If the light icon is not displayed, tap the page center.) No need to exit iBooks and it is still pretty quick though not as quick as Stanza.

In Bluefire, tap the page center, tap Aa Settings, adjust the slider. You then need to tap Save to return to the page. Like most things in Bluefire, it is a bit slower to accomplish.

-----------------------------------------------

In Nook, I don't think there is a way to sideload books. Pity as the Nook app is pretty good.

My favorite app for ePubs is iBooks even though ironically it offers the least amount of text customization. I like the dictionary and highlighting functions, and I especially like being able to sync bookmarks, highlighting, and current page to the iBooks app on other devices. Kindle is pretty good too with a great dictionary, but it doesn't do ePubs.

Unfortunately there isn't much money to be made in developing reader apps, so we probably won't see that killer reader app we all keep hoping for. I thought Bluefire might be a better app than it turned out to be, but they don't seem to interested in improving it. I think Bluefire is more interested in library distribution software and their reader was just a means to sell that. It is very unpolished at present, but who knows maybe they will polish it up some day. The big eBook store companies like Amazon (Kindle), Apple (iBooks), B&N (Nook), etc. don't seem to care about adding functionality to their elementary readers. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for a really good reader, but I doubt any developers will invest resources in a paid reader app with all the free ones that are available.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-27-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #32
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
I'm loving the Kobo app. Facebook and twitter integration, and the prices are very good.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #33
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i loved stanza and used it alot for about a year but then they started introducing major bugs constantly with each and every update. if if it was as stable as it was a year and a half ago it would be the perfect ereader for me. but untill nots nolonger a bug ridden mess ill not use it.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #34
yesno
yesno began at the beginning.

Device: iPad; iPhone
iBooks is my least favorite ereader, but it's the one I use because it offers over-the-air syncing of sideloaded books. This is one of those features that's so great that it's worth putting up with:

* annoying, function-free pictures of "pages" on the side

* too-small margin

* good brightness control, but no true "night mode" (white text on black)

* irritatingly flashy page-turn animations

If it weren't for syncing of sideloaded books, I'd use Stanza. I do have confidence that Apple will continue to improve the app.

I have converted all of my purchased Kindle books to ePubs so that I can still access them. However, I am sort of interested as to why no one has cracked Apple's ebook DRM yet. I like their platform, but I'd like to be able to switch. (The new Nook Touch hardware looks pretty good, for instance.) Surely Apple's DRM is the #2 or #3 most used for ebooks (with Kindle first and Adobe or Apple second).
yesno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesno View Post
Surely Apple's DRM is the #2 or #3 most used for ebooks (with Kindle first and Adobe or Apple second).
Another thread on MR quotes an AP article that claims Amazon still has about 65% of the eBook market, followed by B&N at 25%, and I think it said no more than 10% for Apple.
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I like iBook, Kobo and I'm discovering Kindle
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #37
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesno View Post
If it weren't for syncing of sideloaded books, I'd use Stanza.
Just get the FileBrowser app.

It will allow you to browse any computer or NAS hard drive wirelessly and load books into the e-reader app of your choosing. (It can do this with all types of files and apps too).
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #38
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Just get the FileBrowser app.

It will allow you to browse any computer or NAS hard drive wirelessly and load books into the e-reader app of your choosing. (It can do this with all types of files and apps too).
I think he is talking about "over-the-air syncing of sideloaded books", not loading sideloaded books. You can easily use iTunes to sideload books into Stanza.

iBooks does over-the-air syncing of current page, highlighting, bookmarks, etc. for sideloaded books so you can read the same book on multiple devices which run iBooks and not have to worry about the location, highlighting, or bookmarks as that info is automatically synced between the devices as long as you have an internet connection.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #39
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
True, but when "multiple devices" means two (iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch) it really isn't much of a range (compared to Kindle syncing across 8 different platforms, though only purchased titles). For instance, no e-ink device is supported in iBooks syncing.

But if that really means a lot, I guess you are stuck with iBooks.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #40
PCreighton
Enthusiast
PCreighton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Kindle WIFI 6";IPAD 2
IPAD 2 ereader App best, I have 2 kindles one my husband uses, one I use. We use Calibre manage our books with. Have just purchased IPAD2 what app should I use to read books? Will Calibre work with IPAD 2 to send books to? Not primary reason for purchase of IPAD2 but when travelling figure I will not take 1 of the kindles with us. IPAD instead and couple books on it.

Last edited by PCreighton; 06-05-2011 at 09:51 AM.
PCreighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #41
yesno
yesno began at the beginning.

Device: iPad; iPhone
It would be nice if another platform supported sideloaded ePub page-read syncing. In particular, I would love to keep my iPad, iPhone, and a Nook in sync. (Amazon is not an option since it doesn't support ePub.)

Until that happens, though, I think a lot of ePub enthusiasts don't seem to be aware that this particular feature is offered by Apple and by no other platform.
yesno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
True, but when "multiple devices" means two (iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch) it really isn't much of a range (compared to Kindle syncing across 8 different platforms, though only purchased titles). For instance, no e-ink device is supported in iBooks syncing.

But if that really means a lot, I guess you are stuck with iBooks.
Amazon's Whispersync is definitely the king of syncing. To bad it doesn't support ePubs though.

I've recently purchased a KSO WiFi to test out Whispersync using purchased Kindle books with iPt4, iPad, nookcolor, and Kindle for PC. I do so much highlighting and annotating that it is important for me to be able to sync across platforms. Mostly I want it for the KSO and the iPt4. I occasionally read on the iPad, but prefer the KSO and the iPt4. The nookcolor just doesn't perform as well as the iOS and eInk readers. A lot of folks think it does, but for me it is just clunky and kluge even running CM7 on eMMC. It is just too unstable to truly enjoy reading.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-11-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The nookcolor just doesn't perform as well as the iOS and eInk readers. A lot of folks think it does, but for me it is just clunky and kluge even running CM7 on eMMC. It is just too unstable to truly enjoy reading.
I've recently switched all of my text reading to a NC with CM7, and while there are things that are a bit untidy around the edges, and overall it is certainly not as slick as the iPad experience, I haven't had stability issues, and find Moon Reader+ to be a perfectly good reading app.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #44
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Personally I've tried most of them and constantly come back to Stanza. I also have the Kindle app purely to read the few free books I download from Amazon.

I find the extra "stuff" on the screen in the Kindle app and iBooks exceptionally annoying even on the larger screen of the iPad. All I want on the screen is text - no fake pages, no massive (non adjustable) margins, no faux page turns.

Which is why I end up back with Stanza.........
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #45
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookMonster View Post
I recently purchased an iPod Touch 4 and was wondering which eBook app takes the best use of this (display). Price doesn't matter.

I use an iPad and an iPhone4 as reading devices. While I use the Kindle app almost exclusively, as the apps are free downloads, why don't you just download them all and decide which one works best for you. I think you will like the Touch as everyone I show the Retina screen on the iPhone, finds it is a very easy device to read on.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote