Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
That figures....
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
It's sad, but iFlow team will stop the operations.

https://www.iflowreader.com/Closing.aspx
I never liked iFlow as a reader, but it seems like if they had a willing user base they shouldn't necessarily need to cease operations. Their business model of giving the reader away for free and selling ebooks from the reader is no longer tenable, but there are other options.

Modify the existing app to remove book-selling functionality, and then:
  1. Split the reader into free+ads and paid for $5-10 (they have a unique autoscrolling feature that people would be willing to pay for)
  2. Move the book store online and redirect to the web browser to sell books "from the app", a la Kindle. Or hook up with other book sellers using referral codes, a la Bluefire.
  3. Port to Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7, Windows, OS X, Linux, etc.

If they truly believed in their product, I'm surprised they'd give up so easily.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I use Stanza and iBooks. Love them both. iBooks syncs between my iPhone and iPad which is nicer. Now that I can "side load" an epub from calibre into my iBooks, I use iBooks the most.

Stanza has never been buggy in my experience.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
egarbacz
egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boox Nova2
I agree with Lee about iBooks, since getting my iPad it has become my go to reader for epubs. Adding epubs from my dropbox library is quick and easy and the syncing to my iPhone is the killer feature. Prior to my iPad my favorite was iFlow the scrolling reader on the small screen my preferred way to read. Now that iFlow is gone does anyone know of another scrolling reader that supports epubs?
egarbacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #20
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Excellent question. I got so used to it on my Palm ereader, it was one of the best features. The other is the ability to change the background and font colors.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
TheBookMonster
iReader
TheBookMonster began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4
Thanks for all your help, my opinion was that Kindle has the best reading interface, but no option to import your books or pdfs. In second, was iBooks mainly because its store blows Stanza out of the water. And iBooks is also easy to import books and pdfs (via email or safari). I didn't like the way Stanza formatted my pdf's and epubs.
TheBookMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While iBooks syncs, it has problems. It does a lot of things screwy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #23
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
While iBooks syncs, it has problems. It does a lot of things screwy.
Can you elaborate? I use iBooks as my primary reader and haven't noticed anything screwy.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #24
kittyppg
Banned
kittyppg began at the beginning.

Device: none
I like iBooks application allowing me to freely manage and marks or comment on either pdf or ePub books.
kittyppg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Can you elaborate? I use iBooks as my primary reader and haven't noticed anything screwy.
Don't get him started. He has very specific and niche ePub needs that don't mean a hill of beans to 98% of folks, but he fills the forums with complaints about how this or that app is HORRIBLE.

Lee
Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #26
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookMonster View Post
Thanks for all your help, my opinion was that Kindle has the best reading interface, but no option to import your books or pdfs. In second, was iBooks mainly because its store blows Stanza out of the water. And iBooks is also easy to import books and pdfs (via email or safari). I didn't like the way Stanza formatted my pdf's and epubs.
You can import mobi books to Kindle App.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
The last screwy thing iBooks did was ignore the line-height command I put in the CSS to fix the excess space due to the dropcap at the beginning of the first paragraph of every chapter. Also, iBooks sometimes misses the cover when the cover is properly there. And embedded fonts don't work.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Don't get him started. He has very specific and niche ePub needs that don't mean a hill of beans to 98% of folks, but he fills the forums with complaints about how this or that app is HORRIBLE.

Lee
Yes, I do have specific ePub needs. I need it to actually work.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #29
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I do have specific ePub needs. I need it to actually work.
Your views on what is or is not "working" are so out of the mainstream. You aren't wrong -- you just lambast products as useless because of problems that aren't really going to be problems for the vast majority of folks.

Lee
Old 05-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #30
starfish777
starfish777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4
I like Nook because it has a brightness setting built in. Instead of having to exit and go to Settings, Brightness, I can just hit the little Settings logo in the app, slide the slide while actually looking at a window of the page, so I can see how it will look, and then go back to reading. Very quick.
starfish777 is offline   Reply With Quote